Confirmed with Link: Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Oilers for Ryan Spooner, one for one, no salary retained.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I wouldn't think it's really considered 'taking care of your employees' when your pro UFA signing ends up in the AHL in large part because you gave his job to other UFA's the next season.

No doubt but his handling of it (sending Gags to TO then to EDM) potentially mitigates the negative impact/perception. But yeah, UFAs probably aren’t signing here anyway.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hard not to like the trade on paper: We traded Gagner... without giving up a draft pick or asset... didn't have to retain any salary... got back Spooner... who actually saves the Canucks 50K in cap space and money.

With that said, I think there's a reason why he passed through waivers despite the offensive production he put up over the past 3 seasons and I don't see how Green would like him for long given Green's preference for forwards who can play a 200 foot game. I do fear he'll be thrown in with Horvat ,Spooner will score a few goals, and become a mainstay on the top 9. He does have nice hands, some playmaking ability, and is a decent skater.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
2hgx.gif

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
There used to be a guy here with Bilbo Baggins in his avatar. He used to get real mad over every move the Canucks did. I bet his head is spinning around like Linda Blair in the Exorcist, lol. I think he got ran off HFCanucks awhile ago.

Reactions: NuxFan09

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I am out of town and missed game but wasn’t his icetime 2.34 last night?
Wow, you're right. He did spend 5 minutes in the penalty box. What a fight. He played 2:34 and 1:46 on the PP. They don't seem to trust his 5 0n 5 play. Green does ease new players in though.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Wow, you're right. He did spend 5 minutes in the penalty box. What a fight. He played 2:34 and 1:46 on the PP. They don't seem to trust his 5 0n 5 play. Green does ease new players in though.
Yeah, great fight and he can chuck them with both hands. Hopefully he didn’t injure himself in that scrap.

Reactions: timbermen

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
A nothing trade. Good on Benning for getting Gagner the opportunity to play in the NHL again. I really wish the trade involved future considerations rather than Spooner.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
If this organization wa Savkur developing players instead of trying to make the playoffs; mac would have the ice time that granflind has had but we are all about the playoffs

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I actually liked Gagner in Vancouver. I thought in his limited time up this year he played well. I think Gagner is a much more impactful player than Eriksson is. Also struck me as odd that spent this offseason chasing and throwing money at Beagle and Roussel for veteran leadership when we already had Gagner. Don't feel like the Canucks handled Gagner well.

wtf

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Spooner has cleared waivers and is already in the AHL. For a team committed to a rebuild, they just leave him in Utica and elevate a kid like Dahlen for the last 20 games of the season. It's not like Gagner was ever going to help them anyway.

Spooner could do a lot more for the Comets than he ever could for VanCity.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Benning provided one of my favourite Benningisms on this trade in The Province:

“He’s a skill player who can play all three forward positions,” Benning said of Spooner. “I thought he had a real good year last year. I don’t know the reason it hasn’t gone his way this year but we’re going to give him a chance.

So you didn't watch any recent tape of the guy who is having a historically horrid year, but decided to put him in your NHL lineup because, as far as you can recall, he looked pretty good last year.

I guess this is why our pro scouting sucks. We don't actually do any.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

“He’s a skill player who can play all three forward positions,” Benning said of Spooner. “I thought he had a real good year last year. I don’t know the reason it hasn’t gone his way this year but we’re going to give him a chance.

So you didn't watch any recent tape of the guy who is having a historically horrid year, but decided to put him in your NHL lineup because, as far as you can recall, he looked pretty good last year.

Yeah, I saw that too.

*deep sigh*

They're going to Granlund the shit out of him, aren't they.

Reactions: MS and timw33

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Does not mean he has not seen him play, means he does not know why he sucks this year.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

this is pretty funny but to take it for having no idea how he is currently performing is just as laughable.

We just took a player we couldn't gift to anyone for a pick or futures and were paying to play for a rival team in the AHL and got a guy who earned a 4million dollar contract once upon a recent time. Now Spooner is small and weak and doesnt have a great shot but he can wheel and has good hands and has been decent producing with special teams play. Sven Baertschi might have to be shut down and Goldobin is playing himself to the KHL so i like this move. If he sucks he helps Utica which is a helluva #1 C for the Comets.

Get the feeling this is like Carcone for Leivo all over again....i just dont expect as good a player at the end of the day but this is a progessive move any way you look at it IMO.

Since the deadline of 2017. (2yrs)

Dahlen Goldobin MacEwen Pouliot Motte Leivo Spooner have been brought in for washed up junk and a 4th rd pick.....not half bad

Edit: we got a 4th for Hansen also so basically nothing and also drafted probably the best Canuck ever and have Hughes Madden Woo Lind DiPietro and Gadjovich in the pipeline.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That’s actually abysmal for a supposedly rebuilding team, lmao. I guarantee you every other rebuilding team has done better. I would trade all of those players to get the 4th back.

I didn’t even realize it was that bad. Two years and those are the players they’ve added? Jesus Christ that’s awful. Who have the Rangers added in that time?

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad