Canucks' Top 5 Agitators of All Time

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Crawford absolutely loved Cooke - who was a pretty similar guy to Crawford when he played - but when Vigneault came in in 2006 Vigneault didn't like him at all and he was moved out before very long. There were rumours that he'd annoyed the room but I can't remember the details.
Keenan liked him as well. Or at least I viewed it that way as he tended to leave him alone. Keenan loved to tear down players and rebuild them in the image he wanted them to be.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Keenan liked him as well. Or at least I viewed it that way as he tended to leave him alone. Keenan loved to tear down players and rebuild them in the image he wanted them to be.

Cooke only played 26 games under Keenan as a rookie but Cooke had a great 1998 training camp to earn that roster spot, and Keenan was very happy with his performance in that camp.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Cooke only played 26 games under Keenan as a rookie but Cooke had a great 1998 training camp to earn that roster spot, and Keenan was very happy with his performance in that camp.
Yeah I thought I read a story about Cooke as a rookie had known how Keenan could be a real tyrant as a coach and didn't look forward to any one on one player meetings with the coach. But as the days went by and players got cut in training camp; Cooke remained on the roster. All that time Cooke said Iron Mike hadn't spoken a single word to him directly & we all know the mind games Keenan would play.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't know where the line is between agitator and enforcer, but gino was a major game disrupter who didn't just fight.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
i don't know where the line is between agitator and enforcer, but gino was a major game disrupter who didn't just fight.
I don't recall Gino ever cheapshotting a player (at least not without being provoked first).

Bryan Marchment was an infamous 'knee on knee' player who I think went out of his way to 'look for' such hits (though at least he was willing to drop the gloves) . Seemed like karma when I think a 'knee on knee' hit ended his career.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don't recall Gino ever cheapshotting a player (at least not without being provoked first).

yeah, if by agitator you mean cheap shot artist, that would eliminate gino, although he was not above flattening guys close to the line.

i tend to think of an agitator as a guy who effectively stirred the pot.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
yeah, if by agitator you mean cheap shot artist, that would eliminate gino, although he was not above flattening guys close to the line.
I just now remembered an incident where Gino broke Derek Plante's nose (don't remember whether Gino still had his gloves on) when the Sabre was I *think* doing some little stick work on our goalie. Plante was pretty much Troy Stecher size. Push him enough, and he'll respond not with equal force but exponentially greater force.:laugh:

edit: thinking about it some more, I think it was actually Brad May that broke Plante's nose.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Gino did tons of dirty stuff.

Loved the guy but he was a total loose cannon. Which is probably made him an effective enforcer because other teams didn't want him to snap ... unlike a by-the-books Stu Grimson type.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Gino did tons of dirty stuff.

Loved the guy but he was a total loose cannon. Which is probably made him an effective enforcer because other teams didn't want him to snap ... unlike a by-the-books Stu Grimson type.

Yeah, I remember Gino saying like (in response to a question of whether he was sorry about whatever to did to Hasek) "nope". Have to think Hasek have him a slash.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I remember Gino saying like (in response to a question of whether he was sorry about whatever to did to Hasek) "nope". Have to think Hasek have him a slash.

I think someone had lightly bumped our goalie (Snow?) earlier in the game and that was the retaliation.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Drugs and substance abuse is not something to be taken lightly....Which reminded me, back when Burrows was on at the Canucks,and we were playing the LA Kings..

Mike Richards (who had just had a charge of an illegal substance) was standing outside the scrum..when Burrows skates up to him, replete with ice shavings on the blade of his stick.....and holds it under Richards' nose....as in 'snort this'...lol

Burrows has to be the all time Canucks agitator.

Reactions: Nomobo and Caspian

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Top 5 for me...……...

1. Tiger Williams......how can you not place the NHL penalty leader as #1?
2. Alex Burrows...…..Yap, bite, slash, plus score, all from a player that started in the ECHL
3. Ryan Kesler……….He did not pick favorites, unless it was a team-mates wife
4. Matt Cooke...……..Just friggin plain dirty
5. Yap-Pierre...……….God, I could not even stand his yap on TV. LOL 110% player! Every shift

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad