Post-Game Talk: Canucks to select 5th Overall in 2016 Draft (MOD WARNING - POST 868)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Didn't Benning say on TSN 1040 that he would pick a forward with the top 4 picks, but at 5 or 6 he would lean towards a D-man? It's quite possible he takes Juolevi or Chychrun at 5.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
66% of people voted Dubois. People he will be taken at 4 is not available!! :shakehead

No wonder people always making fun of Canucks fans :shakehead

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
66% of people voted Dubois. People he will be taken at 4 is not available!! :shakehead

No wonder people always making fun of Canucks fans :shakehead

I think your confusing yourself with Canucks fans. A lot of scouts have Tkachuk ahead of Dubois and if EDM keeps the pick drafting another center wouldn't make much sense.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I think your confusing yourself with Canucks fans. A lot of scouts have Tkachuk ahead of Dubois and if EDM keeps the pick drafting another center wouldn't make much sense.

Dubois has played just as much wing as center. If anything, they would value the versatility of him being able to play center if they need him to.

Last edited:

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Didn't Benning say on TSN 1040 that he would pick a forward with the top 4 picks, but at 5 or 6 he would lean towards a D-man? It's quite possible he takes Juolevi or Chychrun at 5.

No, this is incorrect. This was something the unprofessional hosts at 1040 will have you believe simply so they can talk about something. Matt Sekeras has been going on about "Canucks might take a dman at 3"... because benning said something along the lines of....

"At least the top 4 picks will be forwards"

Sekeras then immediately started turning that into "Well that means that #5 MUST be a defenseman right???".

Not once EVER has Benning said in any interview that the Canucks #5 ranked player in this draft would be a defenseman, and that it would be a dman he would pick at 5. He's never even hinted at it. The only thing he has done is assured the hosts that there is no chance anything but a forward is picked with at least the first 4 picks.

JA

Is there a chance we can package picks #5, #33, and a player (e.g. Edler or Tanev) for pick #2 from Winnipeg? They're a budget team. In a few years, Laine will cost them a fortune, and if they have any sense of self-awareness, they'll realize that they should have been picking 6th overall.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
No, this is incorrect. This was something the unprofessional hosts at 1040 will have you believe simply so they can talk about something. Matt Sekeras has been going on about "Canucks might take a dman at 3"... because benning said something along the lines of....

Sekeras then immediately started turning that into "Well that means that #5 MUST be a defenseman right???".

Not once EVER has Benning said in any interview that the Canucks #5 ranked player in this draft would be a defenseman, and that it would be a dman he would pick at 5. He's never even hinted at it. The only thing he has done is assured the hosts that there is no chance anything but a forward is picked with at least the first 4 picks.

With Benning in charge, you have to expect the unexpected. I really hope you're right though. Either Dubois or Tkachuk would be a great addition to this team.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Is there a chance we can package picks #5, #33, and a player (e.g. Edler or Tanev) for pick #2 from Winnipeg? They're a budget team. In a few years, Laine will cost them a fortune, and if they have any sense of self-awareness, they'll realize that they should have been picking 6th overall.

Put yourself in their shoes. Would you have traded down from 2nd for the 6th, 36th, and Enstrom?

Scholarships

10 Piece
Apr 3, 2016
If you're wrong again, are you going to leave?

He can't leave, his meltdowns are too enjoyable

Anyways, I'm also warming up to Juolevi. He may not be the flashiest player, but he plays so smooth. I think he can become a solid NHLer.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He can't leave, his meltdowns are too enjoyable

Anyways, I'm also warming up to Juolevi. He may not be the flashiest player, but he plays so smooth. I think he can become a solid NHLer.

I was upset as most here

And agreed on Juol hes clearly the top dman in the draft and would love him if dubois is taken at 4

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010

Laine is going to Winnipeg. They won't risk trading a player with such a high ceiling (50 goal scorer).

The first pick I see available via trade is Edmonton's #4.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

It's not set in stone quite yet maybe. The Knights still have hockey to play and I'm sure Benning will be watching those games. Not to mention, there's still things like the draft interview (which I think Tkachuk's swagger will show in). I'm hoping it's Tkachuk at 5 for him, but I'm not too sure.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area

"... if we pick, y'know, 5 or 6, then, y'know, we'll look to take that defenseman"

Straight from the horse's mouth.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/benning-feels-top-three-can-franchise-players/
(@2:54)

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
My understanding is that Dubois is projected to be an exceptionally good 2nd line center, not a 1st line player, Tkachuk on the other hand is projected to be a 1st line LW

I don't believe your understanding is correct.

Benning on Dubois
“He’s good. He has the chance to be a No. 1 centre,†Benning said. “You watch those (NHL playoff) games. The San Jose-L.A. series. He’s the kind of player who can play in those types of games and be good.â€
http://vancouversun.com/sports/hock...ee-times-cursed-but-theres-still-hope-at-no-5

Ranking services
With the versatility to play both centre and wing, he could be a first line power forward in the NHL. Dubois’ game is similar to Jamie Benn of the Dallas Stars, though this is a style comparison only, and not one based on talent.
http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/05/pierre-luc-dubois-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-6/

There's others but you can look them up if you need. Pretty sure I've never seen him described as "just" a second line player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad