Post-Game Talk: Canucks to select 5th Overall in 2016 Draft (MOD WARNING - POST 868)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Pld and tkachuk are so common sense in this draft I don't know why anyone even brought up juolevis name. Benning would be a moron to pass up on the better player for a dman in this draft. I doubt any scout has a dman in the top 5. mckenzie doesnt have a dman In the top 6. And button doesn't have one in the top 8.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
The key being they'll "look to take", not "take". It means they'll consider it, not that it's a done deal.

If they had ended up 6th and Dubois and Tkachuk were gone, I'm sure they would definitely looked at a defenceman.

That said, I voted Dubois, but I have a sinking feeling he'll be gone and we'll end up with Tkachuk... which won't be the worst thing ever. I guess

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
If it's a team that may screw up the draft, it'll likely be Edmonton.

Let's be honest guys, they took Hall over Seguin....

Hall was the better player at the time, and pretty much every scouting service agreed with it. Hall was also wildely considered the better player up until 2 years ago.

Hall over Seguin might look slightly bad in hindsight right now but it was nowhere near something that warrants such a response, Hall is a franchise winger.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
This morning on Hockeycentral, Jeff Marek said that the Canucks have to take a defenseman because it is a position of need. I couldn't disagree more with that line of thinking. If you examine the Canucks number one need it is goal scoring. That means they have to take either Dubois or Tkachuk. There is no Aaron Ekblad available on defense in this years draft so drafting a skilled forward is the priority.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Benning (bless his heart) is being unbelievably forthcoming on 1040 again. Views Tkachuk as a potential #1 LW, doesn't see a "true" #1 d-man in the draft. Says it's a safe bet that the Canucks would most likely lean toward one of Dubois or Tkachuk.

Sounds good to me.

Great! Liked Debois in the prospect game more but Thachuk's playoff stats are insane. If Marner is a star what does that say about Thachuck who is scoring just a smidge less in his draft year compared to Marner plus one while having physical responsibilities shown by the 24 Pim's. He has raised his goals and shot totals in the playoffs as well and is 7 points up on Dvorak for second leading scorer on team in playoffs.
How does Thachuck compare to Marner as a prospect? Marner was picked 4th last year when he scored the same rate as this year. If he was a Canuck prospect that would be called stagnating or even regression. If he was in this draft would he be picked 4 th? Of course the new Leaf management does no wrong so the 4th leading scorer in the Ohl in his draft plus 1 year who is 160 pounds is bound to become a top 10 scorer in the Nhl no question, right? I haven't watched him play much so maybe he is, the second coming to Nylander but Nylander has proven more and still hasn't proven enough to be a nhl difference maker. My rant vs all things Leafs as their management gets blessed for being the worse team in the league, then winning a lottery. Also for having 11 picks starting in the late 20's in this year draft, which is suppose to drop off after the low 20's, but many here assume this will turn the Maple Leafs into the new Chicago Blackhawks. I guess if the leafs tank for long enough they will be good eventually but should they really be praise for that.

ForeverDrought

Feb 24, 2016
I should note that I voted for Tkachuk for the #5 pick.

Wingers aren't usually as sought after but I just think we NEED a player like him on our team. Has a nose for the goal and has that arrogance and grit that is just so necessary to beat teams in the playoffs.

We have such a kind team right now, that is a team that loses.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
This morning on Hockeycentral, Jeff Marek said that the Canucks have to take a defenseman because it is a position of need. I couldn't disagree more with that line of thinking. If you examine the Canucks number one need it is goal scoring. That means they have to take either Dubois or Tkachuk. There is no Aaron Ekblad available on defense in this years draft so drafting a skilled forward is the priority.

Ya it's such small thinking. This isn't the NFL or NBA. These kids, for the most part, won't be making the NHL for 2-3 years and likely won't be impact players for 4-5 years. So just because we need a D TODAY we should draft a lesser player to fill that need in 2-4 years??? It makes no sense. Besides, we have a decent collection of (potential) Top 4 D that are under 30 - Tanev, Hutton, and Tryamkin. We also just signed Stetcher who may have top 4 upside as well. Sure we don't have a high end 1D but none of the D in this draft project to that anyway. So does Juolevi massively change our D prospects in 2-4 years? Whereas I could see Tkachuk or Dubois making the team in 2 years and having a Horvat-like impact right away. Plus they are simply the better player (projected) so I don't understand the "fill a need" thinking at all. It just makes no sense for the NHL draft, esp when we technically have massive needs everywhere (except goal I suppose).

just22

Aug 2, 2009
One's thing for sure, we're getting a real good player and a foundation piece.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Wow, for once I'm thrilled after a Benning interview! This is excellent news.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I should note that I voted for Tkachuk for the #5 pick.

Wingers aren't usually as sought after but I just think we NEED a player like him on our team. Has a nose for the goal and has that arrogance and grit that is just so necessary to beat teams in the playoffs.

We have such a kind team right now, that is a team that loses.

If it is Tkachuk, one of the reasons we'll be happy to have him on our side is that he's probably the biggest personality in the draft. He'd be a lovable bigmouth for us, and a complete **** to the opposition.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning sounds like Dubois or Tkachuk are the guys at this point, via this mornings interview on 1040.

Benning is a poker player.....of course he's going to say he's interested in those two players on the radio, even if he wasn't really sold on them.....still think there's a possibility the 'Nucks trade back in the draft and take the d-man they want....apparently the 'Yotes are set on Tkachuk....what would they offer to move from 7th to 5th in the draft?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Benning is a poker player.....of course he's going to say he's interested in those two players on the radio, even if he wasn't really sold on them.....still think there's a possibility the 'Nucks trade back in the draft and take the d-man they want....apparently the 'Yotes are set on Tkachuk....what would they offer to move from 7th to 5th in the draft?

I'd want their 37th.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

I'd either want the 37th or maybe Rieder if he's an odd man out, I really like his game.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There seems like a few tiers in this draft:
1-3
4-5
6- whatever.

While it would have really sped up the rebuild to be in the top three, it's a big plus to be in the second tier and not the third.
Hard to say which of Dubois and Tkachuk ends up as the better player, but that choice will likely be taken out of our hands unless Edmonton takes a defenseman at fourth.
Given where we were at the half way point of the season, I'd be fine getting either of Tkachuk or Dubois, with a preference for Dubois.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
There seems like a few tiers in this draft:
1-3
4-5
6- whatever.

While it would have really sped up the rebuild to be in the top three, it's a big plus to be in the second tier and not the third.
Hard to say which of Dubois and Tkachuk ends up as the better player, but that choice will likely be taken out of our hands unless Edmonton takes a defenseman at fourth.
Given where we were at the half way point of the season, I'd be fine getting either of Tkachuk or Dubois, with a preference for Dubois.

Tier 1

Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi

Tier 2

Dubois
Tkachuk

Tier 3

Chychrun
Nylander
Juolevi
Sergachev
Jost

HalfPastDan

Registered Schmoozer
Feb 7, 2010

Benning is a what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad