Recalled/Assigned: Canucks to recall Bailey, MacEwen

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

Well earned for Bailey. Motte injury sounds like it's pretty serious, unfortunately.

Any update as to the status of the Motte injury? Looked like a separated shoulder or possibly collarbone.

And yes will be nice to see what Bailey can bring as he's more than earned this call -up. Somewhat telling though that Baertschi or Goldobin aren't getting the call. Not sure how we are going to be able to get rid of Sven and his contract unless he gets some games in up here.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Any update as to the status of the Motte injury? Looked like a separated shoulder or possibly collarbone.

And yes will be nice to see what Bailey can bring as he's more than earned this call -up. Somewhat telling though that Baertschi or Goldobin aren't getting the call. Not sure how we are going to be able to get rid of Sven and his contract unless he gets some games in up here.

In defense of the choices - Motte is a fourth line player, a role guys like Bailey or MacEwen are much more suited to playing. If we had an injury in the top six, I’d think a look at Goldobin would be given (Baertschi is currently injured).

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
Motte injury is huge for us! the guy kills penalties really well and has an endless motor.
I'm personally not a fan of Motte's game, he frustrates the heck out of me, but you can't argue with the results. Canucks are 17-6-1 with him in the lineup this season.
Shotgun Jake and a shot of Bailey’s. Could be a good stretch of sales for bar owners.
But no more Caesars!

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
In defense of the choices - Motte is a fourth line player, a role guys like Bailey or MacEwen are much more suited to playing. If we had an injury in the top six, I’d think a look at Goldobin would be given (Baertschi is currently injured).

Yeah good point - figured there might be a chance they want to get Sven up here to perhaps showcase him and at least attempt to create some type of trade value for him. If they wanted to could probably fit him on the third line - perhaps bumping Gaudette or Roussel. Get him a few good games and sucker a team like Edmonton into taking him. I agree though that would most likely have to be on the top 2 lines.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Shotgun Jake and a shot of Bailey’s. Could be a good stretch of sales for bar owners.
Love it.....but seriously they could actually work together on the same line, with maybe Gaudette in the middle to form the 'bar-keep line'. I know virtually every guy recalled from Utica ends up on the fourth line, or in the press-box.

But both Virtanan and Bailey have serious wheels. And Bailey has been killing penalties with the Comets, so he might find a home there as well. I'd like to see Green give it a shot....but if history is any guide, it'll be plug and play with Schaller, and the Utica call-ups will just practice and sit.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think MacEwen will do just fine in a fourth line role. Always liked what he brought.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Would've liked to see Motte and Bailey on the same line if only for the history jokes but alas...

Did they recall them just to sit in the pressbox like most callups or are they actually going to play?

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Would've liked to see Motte and Bailey on the same line if only for the history jokes but alas...

Did they recall them just to sit in the pressbox like most callups or are they actually going to play?
Hopefully play over Schaller but Greens gonna Green it up ya know it

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd love to see Green roll the dice on a fourth line of Sutter, between Bailey and MacEwen. Imagine, a fourth line that's a threat to score an actual goal!.......if nothing else, they're two big bodies who can get in on the forecheck and plaster a d-man along the wall. Canucks need to play ore 'big boy' hockey.

Reactions: OEL for Norris

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It might be nitpicking, what with the way the Canucks are on a roll right now, but I have to say the way the Canucks 'use' or 'misuse' their call-ups from Utica, drives me crazy. According to J-Pat, Bailey and MacEwen were hauled off the bus in the middle of nowhere and driven back to Utica via Uber so they could connect with the Canucks in New York.

And of course they'll be sitting in the press-box when the Canucks play the Islanders tomorrow. Naturally. So instead of inserting either guy, Green will liberate Schaller from the press-box, a guy who really can't put the puck in the ocean and will never be re-signed when his contract is up at the end of the season. So why wouldn't you use one of the Utica call-ups instead?

And apparently Roussel missed practice with a 'maintenance day', so obviously he's playing hurt. And it's not like he's doing anything out there anyway. But Green is stubborn, so he'll play even at 70 percent, and nothing is likely to change if the Canucks keep on winning.

I suppose you won't get any complaints from either Bailey or MacEwen, who are drawing NHL pay-checks and staying in five-star hotels. But they're not alone in this futility of Utica call-ups. When was the last time a Utica d-man got called up by the Canucks and actually played? Meantime, the Comets who are in the midst of a desperate playoff push of their own, are down two key players for the game in Cleveland.

At some point Benning has got to step in and set some ground-rules for this coach. It's not going to make one iota of difference if Bailey and MacEwen were to slot in for an ineffective Schaller and a banged-up Roussel for tomorrow's game with the Islanders. But that won't happen without some direction from the top.

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad