Rumor: Canucks to Hire Ilya Vorobyov as Coach

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This is the coach the Podkolzin liked.

Ilya Vorobyov, my first coach in the KHL, helped me in calming down. He told me not to get too nervous, that if I’m with the team, it means that I can play. I also had a full camp with the senior team under Alexey Kudashov. He helped me in growing and learning many tactical things. I’ve worked with Valery Bragin for three years. I know him, and he knows me. The situation when our head coach changed from a game to another gave us even more motivation. Roman Rotenberg took responsibility in such a difficult moment, and it was so precious. He tuned us up and gave good motivational speeches.”

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Translated from Russian article

Former coach of the Russian national team, SKA and Magnitogorsk "Metallurg" Ilya Vorobyov said that he would continue his career in the NHL club system.

"I'm going to Vancouver, I'll be there on October 25. I have a return ticket, but it's refundable, you can change the date. In the meantime, I'm coming to the Vancouver home series, and my functional responsibilities will be determined there. For me, this is a good opportunity to get into the organization, to see the work from the inside.

I don't think about anything for the future, everything will be visible there. Have I been called from Russia lately? There are a lot of calls today, you called. But for work - nothing. There were some hints, but everything remained hints," Vorobyov said.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I remember after Willie Desjardins was dismissed, there was a post-mortem with a media member on the radio where they discussed initial conversations with Canucks staff re: bringing over Nikita Tryamkin, and what the acclimation plan was, how they were going to get him involved socially etc. I can't remember who it was - maybe Ferraro or Friedman?
Anyway the answer the media member got from the Canucks was that there was essentially zero plan. They just intended to play him and see what happened. They essentially brought him over and let him fend for himself, which pissed him off enough such that he never returned. Similar type of situation with Shirokov almost a decade prior.
That was under the previous regime as well and I think the organization had to look in the mirror and re-evaluate its template for engaging and signing Russian talent. It had been a priority of Rutherford when he was hired, so I'm not surprised they have put some effort into it here.
Trying to think of a single other successful Russian Canucks player since Mogilny/Bure, and I don't think there have been any between those guys and Kuzmenko. It had been a total black hole.
It was a problem that needed fixing.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
I remember after Willie Desjardins was dismissed, there was a post-mortem with a media member on the radio where they discussed initial conversations with Canucks staff re: bringing over Nikita Tryamkin, and what the acclimation plan was, how they were going to get him involved socially etc. I can't remember who it was - maybe Ferraro or Friedman?
Anyway the answer the media member got from the Canucks was that there was essentially zero plan. They just intended to play him and see what happened. They essentially brought him over and let him fend for himself, which pissed him off enough such that he never returned. Similar type of situation with Shirokov almost a decade prior.
That was under the previous regime as well and I think the organization had to look in the mirror and re-evaluate its template for engaging and signing Russian talent. It had been a priority of Rutherford when he was hired, so I'm not surprised they have put some effort into it here.
Trying to think of a single other successful Russian Canucks player since Mogilny/Bure, and I don't think there have been any between those guys and Kuzmenko. It had been a total black hole.
It was a problem that needed fixing.
Gonchar was instrumental in helping Malkin acclimating to North America and American culture. You are absolutely correct. Coming from Russia to Canada/USA is a huge culture shock for a lot of people

Last edited:

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Ehh... do we really need to go all Team Russia here?
The plan is the bring in as many Russians possible in attempt that it would equal one Pavel Bure

awesome now we can hang onto pod until he's worth absolutely nothing too then trade him for waiver wire depth in two years
I know you are a fan of this potential hiring.

Forgive me if I’m wrong on calling your bluff.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
That’s a relief. I really didn’t know what to think after I read your first post
Sorry, I do enjoy being kinda vague and trolly with it. Just think centre right ( thats centre left in American terms) extremely libertarian, with the ability to laugh at himself.

Reactions: Jay26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad