Canucks to buy the BCHL's Chilliwack Chiefs

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
My buddy's favourite team. He actually used to live in Chilliwack.
/csb
I honestly don't like this. I grew up watching this team, even though I don't live there anymore, the Chiefs are still the junior team I follow the most
I can't help but think there's something afoot with this, where Aquilini is playing the long game to get the WHL back in town. I don't think the WHL would do well there and that this will do more harm than good

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I can't help but think there's something afoot with this, where Aquilini is playing the long game to get the WHL back in town. I don't think the WHL would do well there and that this will do more harm than good
The story references the rumour the Aquilinis were trying to buy the Winnipeg Ice to relocate them to Chilliwack. Perhaps the Canucks are using this as backdoor way to get into the WHL - buy the Chiefs and then make application for expansion.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The story references the rumour the Aquilinis were trying to buy the Winnipeg Ice to relocate them to Chilliwack. Perhaps the Canucks are using this as backdoor way to get into the WHL - buy the Chiefs and then make application for expansion.

I guess the old rule about saying 'never say never' applies, but it's hard to imagine the WHL expanding anytime soon. It already seems watered down relative to the other two CHL leagues as evidenced by lacklustre Memorial Cup performances in recent years.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Another possible alternative could be getting the Chilliwack market for an ECHL team? ECHL noted they plan to get to 32 teams, currently sit at 28 with I think 2 expansion teams planned soon, so room for 2 more. Aquillini would then would then own teams in NHL, AHL & ECHL and have all 3 teams in the greater metro Vancouver area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad