Post-Game Talk: Canucks tie it; refs say "You can't do that." Lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Those stats are very misleading. As all but 2 of the "2 goals or less games" were games in which we scored just 1 goal. One which was a SO win and the other which was a SO loss.

I could just as easily twist the stats and say we have never lost in regulation, or even in OT, when scoring more than a single goal, which makes the goaltending look a lot better than it's actually been.

It's not like it's some impossible task to pick up points with even just 1 GF. 14 of the Canucks' 59 points (nearly 1/4) last year came from games where they scored 1 or 0 goals. So far through 20 games the Canucks have only 1 point from that scenario. Obviously you can't expect that kind of thing to happen all the time, but when the Canucks are basically guaranteed to have to score 2+ goals every single time they want to pick up even a point, it makes things tougher than they ought to be given the investment the team has made in net.

Sure, if you look at any given game it seems kind of silly to blame goaltending when the team only manages 1 goal. But over a larger sample you expect the goalies to shut to door on a handful of occasions and that really hasn't happened this year.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'm very concerned that Luongos quick side to side movements he almost always ends up on his belly.
This is nothing new either. Isn't there a highly paid goalie coach....?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
It's not like it's some impossible task to pick up points with even just 1 GF. 14 of the Canucks' 59 points (nearly 1/4) last year came from games where they scored 1 or 0 goals. So far through 20 games the Canucks have only 1 point from that scenario. Obviously you can't expect that kind of thing to happen all the time, but when the Canucks are basically guaranteed to have to score 2+ goals every single time they want to pick up even a point, it makes things tougher than they ought to be given the investment the team has made in net.

Sure, if you look at any given game it seems kind of silly to blame goaltending when the team only manages 1 goal. But over a larger sample you expect the goalies to shut to door on a handful of occasions and that really hasn't happened this year.

I'm not arguing Luongo's been great, because he hasn't. But Luongo has given us a chance to win every game except maybe the Kings game.

I absolutely expect more from Luongo and have said as much before. But in terms of our record overall Luongo's play has been far from the main cause. If Luongo were to have had one more shut out this year - tied for the league lead - we'd have two more points. Whoop dee doo.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm very concerned that Luongos quick side to side movements he almost always ends up on his belly.

Think it relates back to his awful groin injury in the 08-09 season. He's been prone to the front flop when trying to extend himself or push off. Don't think a goalie coach will fix things.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Huh. I'm assuming those include PP shots too, but to see a continual drop-off like that over the past 3 years is strange.

It should not be surprising that the shooting percentage is down this year: Torts has put in place a shoot-from-everywhere mentality. As well, all the canucks snipers of yesteryear, Samuelsson, Raymond, Kesler, Burrows, etc. are either gone or slumping. The canucks have very few natural finishers on the team.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Look at how sad Gully looks in that GIF.

To be honest, I think that's what he usually looks like. :p:

Years of the top line getting chopped at and crosschecked repeatedly in the arms and chest and back probably has something to do with it

Even if that were true, that wouldn't affect it by that big of a margin. Even in a game like this where they played about 37% of the ES minutes the Canucks had.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Luongo isn't stealing games.. so what? He's rarely losing them for the team too. You'd think the team would be able to score atleast 2-3 goals. I don't care how many shots or chances they got there simply isn't enough finish/talent in this present core and it needs to be shook up somehow. I'd look to move Burrows/Edler.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It should not be surprising that the shooting percentage is down this year: Torts has put in place a shoot-from-everywhere mentality. As well, all the canucks snipers of yesteryear, Samuelsson, Raymond, Kesler, Burrows, etc. are either gone or slumping. The canucks have very few natural finishers on the team.

Whatever one may think of the reasons for it, it was going down each year even before Torts came in too.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Think it relates back to his awful groin injury in the 08-09 season. He's been prone to the front flop when trying to extend himself or push off. Don't think a goalie coach will fix things.

So now he's completely incapable of sliding across the net upright?
Every other goalie seems to be able to ...

MISC*

Don`t worry, bro.

We always start slow.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
So that's 6 games this season that they outplayed the other team but couldnt score to save their lives

@ columbus
vs detroit
@ phoenix
@ anaheim
vs sharks
vs dallas

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I'm concerned about the post game comments made to the media about how bad the reffing was, in particular the ones the Sedins made.

It's all fine and good for us here on the board to be complaining, because no one cares. But when the players complain, it embarrasses the refs. It seems like the Canucks were just slowly starting to get out of the diving Kesler/Auger-gate era of AV, and looking to have a new relationship with the refs with this new coach, and those kind of comments just set us right back there again. IT DOESN'T HELP.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London

This is fairly well known.

Lou had a groin injury a few seasons ago (I think 10-11?) where his lateral movement completely fell off the map. He's been floppy ever since because due to the injury (and I presume age) he's lost a lot of flexibility and power to butterfly and laterally move left to right quickly.

This is why I thought we needed to keep Schneider at all costs, he maybe wasn't as technically sound as Luo but his lateral movement was fantastic.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Luongo was easily our MVP for the first half of last season. He's going through a "meh" stretch but it's way too early to write him off. Do you think Kings fans are talking about buying out Quick and regretting trading Bernier?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Luongo isn't stealing games.. so what? He's rarely losing them for the team too. You'd think the team would be able to score atleast 2-3 goals. I don't care how many shots or chances they got there simply isn't enough finish/talent in this present core and it needs to be shook up somehow. I'd look to move Burrows/Edler.

I can't speak to this game because I didn't see it, but in other games I have him actually "losing them" as well. When a game is tight, and he makes a poor read to drop down in the butterfly early, fail to push off in time, get caught reaching etc... he's losing the team games with poor play. The OT goal against SJ, for instance, was bad. I know some disagree, but that was a poor slide and he left too much of the net open. That's on him. I think people are failing to evaluate him properly, so he's not seen as actively "losing" games for the team, but he is in subjective takes and by save percentage.

How many times have you seen Luongo actually outplay the opposition goalie? I recall one 3rd period where it can be said he stole that period and ostensibly, the game.

He's got to find a way to get the team some points in even tight games because VAN is crushing the opposition in possession. Even if they don't convert, the play is primarily directed at the other net. Sometimes that still results in a low scoring game. The team shouldn't have to score at least 2 goals to spot Lu every time out.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006

I'm very concerned that fans are *****ing about Luongo when the pathetic forward group can't manage more than a goal on 43 shots. Yeah yeah, they had one waved off. Guess 2 goals a game should be enough for any team right?

They have a bottom 10 offense, a middle of the pack defense, and are mediocre 5 on 5.

They have much bigger problems than Luongo being on his belly or the salary of the damn goalie coach.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Sad isn`t it...Try to not to get to emotionally attached to the team. It`s hard, but you don`t mind the slow, cancer like death of the team as much.

Yeah, I quit giving a crap and just expect them to suck.

I get to be pleasantly surprised when they actually get it together, otherwise oh well I expected them to suck.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
I actually just PVR games now and watch like 50%. Boring. Low scoring. Team has no chemistry outside the twins.

I find less to be interested in about them and more the prospects these days.

Meh, gillis will probably trade them off or they will just end up sucking. Or blow out an ankle or knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad