Confirmed Signing with Link: Canucks sign Olli Juolevi to 3-Year ELC

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Calling any drafted player(especially a 1st rounder) a bust before they even see the ice is incredibly shallow and juvenal.

That said, It seems Benning broke the golden rule of drafting, picking need over best player available.

He said Juolevi was 5th on their list, and before the draft kept saying he had a defenseman in the top6.
Didn't Bob have Juolevi 5th or something in his last rankings also?

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
No way.. Drouin and Jones were both considered better than Barkov and in the last weeks before the draft many people thought Colorado would draft jones. Florida fans were upset when they drafted Barkov and not Jones or Drouin.. funny how things work out sometimes.

Who considered Drouin to be better than Barkov. Barkov had a generational draft season in one of the toughest pro leagues in a lockout year, Barkov proved he can flat out dominate lockout players like M. Koivu in head to head play. Only Forsberg can claim a better professional U18 season. Barkov was considered to be on MacKinnons level, only question was whether Jones would go first second or third.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Its contracts like these that caused the last 2 lockouts.

Thanks Benning.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Calling any drafted player(especially a 1st rounder) a bust before they even see the ice is incredibly shallow and juvenal.

That said, It seems Benning broke the golden rule of drafting, picking need over best player available.

Go look at our future LW core. All we have is Baertschi. It was not a smart pick IMO, but I don't think it was need-based. I actually thought our future defence core was decent going into the draft.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Ha I mean can you really call it picking a need when the Canucks need everything?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
No way.. Drouin and Jones were both considered better than Barkov and in the last weeks before the draft many people thought Colorado would draft jones. Florida fans were upset when they drafted Barkov and not Jones or Drouin.. funny how things work out sometimes.

Colorado has done a hilarious Job messing up Fla's drafts the past few years lol. They took Mackinnon from them, Landeskog from them, they even said they wanted Rantanen.

Fla could be a very different team than they are today if it wasn't for the Avs lol

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
He wasn't going to do a Lindros?
Where's all the panic and backbiting?
Where's all the hate?

Is there even a thread on the prospects board?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Being a Swede I am absolutely crushed over all these Finnish super-talented players coming up.

What is his projection, top-2 defenceman? True #1?

WHo does he compare to at the same age, Ristolainen?

eviohh26*

Being a Swede I am absolutely crushed over all these Finnish super-talented players coming up.

From what I've personally watched. He has learning to do. But his raw skill is wow. Skys the limit for this kid.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
From what I've personally watched. He has learning to do. But his raw skill is wow. Skys the limit for this kid.

baby-crying.jpg

gianni

Apr 8, 2014

Majority of hockey minds feel that he'll be a #2D; but there's a few that feel that he has #1D potential. I've mainly heard comparisons to Mattias Ohlund; and some that have carefully said that he had Nicklas Lidstrom attributes/tendencies, but were (understandably) reluctant to fully make that comparison.

https://twitter.com/TSN1040/status/747618077580398593

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

I want to say you've greatly misinterpreted his post

Majority of hockey minds feel that he'll be a #2D; but there's a few that feel that he has #1D potential. I've mainly heard comparisons to Mattias Ohlund; and some that have carefully said that he had Nicklas Lidstrom attributes/tendencies, but were (understandably) reluctant to fully make that comparison.

https://twitter.com/TSN1040/status/747618077580398593

Our own GM made the comparison once:

Most other times, he's just talked up Juolevi's on-ice IQ.

I don't like the Mattias Ohlund comparison - Ohlund was a big tank of a shutdown defenseman, not really the same type of player as Juolevi. I don't ever expect to see Juolevi stapling opposing forwards at the blueline.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
It's hilarious how much Canuck players are underrated on here.
The haters are jealous. Olli is gonna be a star #1 D.
If juolevi was drafted by Chicago, they would agree.

It's okay. Haters be hating. We love it :) Keep being salty.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Let me guess, the reason it took so long was because old school Benning didn't want to budge on the bonuses? :sarcasm:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Let me guess, the reason it took so long was because old school Benning didn't want to budge on the bonuses? :sarcasm:

I was just talking about that on our board. It was definitely the bonuses.

https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancouver/vancouver-canucks-gm-jim-benning-joins-the-afternoon-show

It sounds like, with entry-level deals for top-end guys, that basically it comes down to the bonus structure. Is that an accurate assessment?

Yeah, I would say that. If you look back on the last five years, the top-five picks or (sometimes) the first defensemen taken in the draft, they're looking for the A and some of the B bonuses. That's what it takes to get a deal done with these top-end guys.

Also:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad