Confirmed Signing with Link: Canucks sign Olli Juolevi to 3-Year ELC

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I'll bet you my entire pog collection Joulevi will be the better D-Man 5 years from now.

I wouldn't take that bet if I were you...Juolevi is considered the safer pick with a high floor and a low ceiling whereas Sergachev has a much higher ceiling than Juolevi, and of course a lower floor (not insanely lower or anything).

My money is on Sergachev if they don't rush him and he's back in the OHL this year

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
As a Finlander who has followed his career from the beginning, this guy is a ****ing beast when he gets to play with the strenghts he has, not sure if Vancouver is the best place for him, I would love to have him on the Penguins.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
No way.. Drouin and Jones were both considered better than Barkov and in the last weeks before the draft many people thought Colorado would draft jones. Florida fans were upset when they drafted Barkov and not Jones or Drouin.. funny how things work out sometimes.
From what I remember Drouin lost a little stock at the combine and Barkov grabbed #3 away from him with most scouts.

Personally I think both Florida teams were sniffing glue that day not to take Jones as 3 years from now I still think he'll be the best player.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
From what I remember Drouin lost a little stock at the combine and Barkov grabbed #3 away from him with most scouts.

Personally I think both Florida teams were sniffing glue that day not to take Jones as 3 years from now I still think he'll be the best player.
It's Tampa that blows my mind. With Hedman and Jones shutting it down and the scoring they already had they would have been unstoppable

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I watched London Alot last year, unfortunately I think juolevi is hyped a bit too much. An earlier poster said he could be a #2/3 guy. I tend to agree that might be his uppermost potential. Don't get me wrong, he's got an excellent first pass and good wheels already... but he had the benefit of having the best forward trio in the chl to feed the puck to (who then drove offensive production). He's going to be a decent defenseman, but Benning goofed the pick imo

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I watched London Alot last year, unfortunately I think juolevi is hyped a bit too much. An earlier poster said he could be a #2/3 guy. I tend to agree that might be his uppermost potential. Don't get me wrong, he's got an excellent first pass and good wheels already... but he had the benefit of having the best forward trio in the chl to feed the puck to (who then drove offensive production). He's going to be a decent defenseman, but Benning goofed the pick imo

17 years old, 1st year playing in new country, first year on new ice surface, in new league, again do people not know this?

Benning went with the safe pick, we need young blue liners with potential, Olli's floor is a top 4 dman, Tkachuks floor is a that of a third liner (we have plenty of middle sixers).
How the hell is that pick considered a goof? The Canucks have very little in terms of young blue liners, the only thing we needed more was a C to replace
H. Sedin, once PLD was taken (thanks Columbus) Olli was the next best player. I don't understand why people don't get this.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Sergachev vs Juolevi...

Both are excellent prospects. Both 2 way Ds. Both I love. I would have been just fine with either pick.

Where Juolevi holds the advantage is with how he thinks the game. That is really something that is difficult to teach. It gives him a far greater advantage of being able to reach his potential faster and establish it longer into his career as his game is built on intelligence. Think Suter or Vlasic as a realistic top end.

Sergachev is likely to have a higher ceiling offensively if he reaches his potential, but will likely take him longer to achieve as his game is built on skating and skill. He should be a physical presence as well and a good 2 way dman. His game will also likely be far more enjoyable to watch. Think Josi.

Stats show that when the chips are on the table that Juolevis game gets better. He shows dramatic offensive increases for Mem Cup, OHL playoffs, and WJHC. All while maintaining a strong +/- rating.

Tough to say who will have the better career, but if I was in Vancouvers position, they have a need for a young D to join their retool asap, and for that reason I'd also take Juolevi as I think he will be a reliable top 4 defender within 2-3 years. I think while Serg has the tool box, that itll take him closer to 4-6 years before his coach is calling his name in crucial game situations.... Which is just fine for teams with the ability to wait...

If I could draw a horrible graph to indicate how I feel about these players, it would look something like:

Juolevi projected career potential path

____>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
___>______________________________>>>>>>>>>
__>
_>
>

Sergachev projected career potential path

_______________>>>>>
______________>______>>>>
____________>____________>>>>>>>
__________>_______________________>>>>>>>
_______>>
___>>>
>>

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Kind of hilarious that Olli Juolevi's dominant performance in the World Juniors means absolutely nothing to HFboard members, but to those same HFboard members, Jake Virtanen's poor performance (in those same World Juniors) means that he's a complete bust. haha

The Jesus*

Juolevi is a cerebral defender. In the mold of an OEL or Pietrangelo (stylistically). Benning went with the body last time with his high pick, and we all see how that is turning out. This time he went with the brain, which is the right choice.

Nucks got a good player here. He'll be a top pairing guy one day.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

With his IQ, skating, puck moving I'm having difficulties to understand that.

Shouldn't also forget that he missed the last offseason due to knee injury, this offseason he's healthy and ready to grow.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
With his IQ, skating, puck moving I'm having difficulties to understand that.

Shouldn't also forget that he missed the last offseason due to knee injury, this offseason he's healthy and ready to grow.

He also had to translate his game to the north american ice. I've read his production picked up a lot after the half way point through the season.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Kind of hilarious that Olli Juolevi's dominant performance in the World Juniors means absolutely nothing to HFboard members, but to those same HFboard members, Jake Virtanen's poor performance (in those same World Juniors) means that he's a complete bust. haha

He was passing the puck up to Laine and Puljujärvi... Just like he was passing the puck up to Marner/Tkachuk/Dvorak in the OHL. All credit is instantly tainted incase you weren't aware. We Canucks fans should be hopeful that he ends up a decent #2 or good #3. Plus Virtanen was clearly the only reason Canada didn't play well, so he deserves all the judgment for their performance.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
He was passing the puck up to Laine and Puljujärvi... Just like he was passing the puck up to Marner/Tkachuk/Dvorak in the OHL. All credit is instantly tainted incase you weren't aware. We Canucks fans should be hopeful that he ends up a decent #2 or good #3. Plus Virtanen was clearly the only reason Canada didn't play well, so he deserves all the judgment for their performance.

..sarcasm?

HFboards gonna HFboard.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
..sarcasm?

HFboards gonna HFboard.

Doesn't have to be sarcasm. Juolevi likely wouldn't have made sweden/canada/us teams at all. And if he somehow got a spot he would have been lucky to score a point. Juolevi got carried by Laine Aho and Pulju, and without the point production against weak competition he wouldn't have made the all Star team in the first place. Weak rookie season on top of that it is a mystery he got picked as high as he did. He has top 4 upside but is years away.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Doesn't have to be sarcasm. Juolevi likely wouldn't have made sweden/canada/us teams at all. And if he somehow got a spot he would have been lucky to score a point. Juolevi got carried by Laine Aho and Pulju, and without the point production against weak competition he wouldn't have made the all Star team in the first place. Weak rookie season on top of that it is a mystery he got picked as high as he did. He has top 4 upside but is years away.

You mean weak by Canada? He had 0+3 against them, including one assist where he made every team Canada player look like bunch of 4yo skating for the first time? And btw, for him probably not making on to team Canada, Sweden or Russia? He made it to the best team of the tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Probably the best blueliner on that tourney wouldn't have made those 3 teams roster?
Care to remind who won?

No one carried Juolevi, Juolevi carried our whole damm blueline and was a huge reason why Laine-Aho-Pulju line was able to be so good.

He also had to translate his game to the north american ice. I've read his production picked up a lot after the half way point through the season.

Yep, he had to learn NA game while recovering from injury.
I saw often shoulder injury used as an excuse for Chychrun but never really saw the knee mentioned with Juolevi.

After the season he said in a interview after that the knee wasn't 100% at the start of season, and he had condition issues mid season because he wasn't able to train in the offseason, but on the later 2nd half he started to feel better and better and production went up in the playoffs.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Dunno, Juolevi isn't likely to hit the ice this season anyway, with Tkachuk they could've had a roster player for now.

Tkachuk is a Flame. He'll have to earn his roster space. He'll get similar treatment to Bennett unless he comes out gangbusters. He'll get a few cups of coffee first year. A lesser role 2nd year. And the chance to break out 3rd year.

Not knocking Juolevi, but Tkachuk was exactly what the Flames were looking for. Thank you Benning.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Tkachuk is a Flame. He'll have to earn his roster space. He'll get similar treatment to Bennett unless he comes out gangbusters. He'll get a few cups of coffee first year. A lesser role 2nd year. And the chance to break out 3rd year.

Not knocking Juolevi, but Tkachuk was exactly what the Flames were looking for. Thank you Benning.

Good for both teams, your blue line was set for the future anyways and we have very little in the cupboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad