Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign Mike Zalewski

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
You are assuming that the article is accurate re: his assignment.

my guess is they made a sweeter deal by letting him to join the team and show him what being in the NHL is all about

This could be something like showing him some sniff of pro life, practicing with the team, and just being around on and off the ice.

i doubt they'll give him some game time due to the playoff push *when they signed him...lol*

In another note, someone said that they cant send him down to minors if he's signed after deadline..is that true?

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
my guess is they made a sweeter deal by letting him to join the team and show him what being in the NHL is all about

This could be something like showing him some sniff of pro life, practicing with the team, and just being around on and off the ice.

i doubt they'll give him some game time due to the playoff push

In another note, someone said that they cant send him down to minors if he's signed after deadline..is that true?

"playoff push"

Wetcoaster

i doubt they'll give him some game time due to the playoff push *when they signed him...lol*

Not as far as I know. At least not any longer.

Issues used to arise around interpretations of the AHL rules re declared play-off rosters for AHL teams (aka Clear day Rosters) but those rules were scrapped in the last CBA.

“Due to the new NHL collective bargaining agreement, AHL clear day rosters, which set player eligibility parameters from the trade deadline through the Calder Cup playoffs, will no longer exist, Hershey Bears President-GM Doug Yingst said on Tuesday.

“It’s a total change in process,†Yingst said, “and it probably should have been implemented years ago.â€​
http://artfulpuck.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/ahl-clear-day-roster-rule-changes/

As I understand the new rules, as long as a player is under contract to an NHL team he is eligible to play in the AHL.

The one practical caveat would be for an older player on an ELC playing in the AHL could burn a year of experience off his ELC if he plays 10 or more pro games. Zalewski was 21 when he signed his ELC:

A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season.​

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Not as far as I know. At least not any longer.

Issues used to arise around interpretations of the AHL rules re declared play-off rosters for AHL teams (aka Clear day Rosters) but those rules were scrapped in the last CBA.

“Due to the new NHL collective bargaining agreement, AHL clear day rosters, which set player eligibility parameters from the trade deadline through the Calder Cup playoffs, will no longer exist, Hershey Bears President-GM Doug Yingst said on Tuesday.

“It’s a total change in process,” Yingst said, “and it probably should have been implemented years ago.”​
http://artfulpuck.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/ahl-clear-day-roster-rule-changes/

As I understand the new rules, as long as a player is under contract to an NHL team he is eligible to play in the AHL.

The one practical caveat would be for an older player on an ELC playing in the AHL could burn a year of experience off his ELC if he plays 10 or more pro games. Zalewski was 21 when he signed his ELC:

A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season.​
So if I understand this correctly...

Any player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between yadda yadda) will start burning his entry level contract after 10+ AHL or 10+ NHL games?

Also, "As I understand the new rules, as long as a player is under contract to an NHL team he is eligible to play in the AHL.", does that mean 18 year old draft picks can now play in the AHL?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
"Joining the Canucks" by no means equates to "playing for the Canucks right now."

" I am very excited for this opportunity with such a first-class organization like Vancouver. It has been a lifelong dream of mine to play in the NHL and the Canucks are providing that chance."

I get the feeling he's going to get a game

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
" I am very excited for this opportunity with such a first-class organization like Vancouver. It has been a lifelong dream of mine to play in the NHL and the Canucks are providing that chance."

I get the feeling he's going to get a game

It's probably a clever tactic to make sure they got him signed considering they knew the season was over. It makes no difference at this point with no playoffs and so many regular forwards injured.

Wetcoaster

So if I understand this correctly...

Any player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between yadda yadda) will start burning his entry level contract after 10+ AHL or 10+ NHL games?

Also, "As I understand the new rules, as long as a player is under contract to an NHL team he is eligible to play in the AHL.", does that mean 18 year old draft picks can now play in the AHL?
Yes after their junior season is complete or they graduate/withdraw from their NCAA team.

Wetcoaster

PITB's take on the signing:

Canucks sign Mike Zalewski out of the NCAA

While Mike Gillis’s drafting record hasn’t been stellar, he’s done well to augment his drafting by signing undrafted free agents out of major junior and the NCAA. He signed Dane Fox earlier this season, taking a chance on the OHL’s leading goalscorer, but his most recent signing is a little more low profile, signing 21-year-old left winger Mike Zalewski out of the Renssaeler Polytechnic Institute.

Zalewski has connections to both BC and Utica, the home of Vancouver’s AHL affiliate. He’s from New Hartford, NY, which is right next to Utica — their town centres are 9 minutes apart — and played his junior hockey with the Vernon Vipers. The RPI Engineers have some pretty famous alumni, including Adam Oates and Daren Puppa, but Zalewski is more likely to make his mark as a bottom-six forward if he makes it to the NHL.

With 21 goals and 47 points in 71 games with the Engineers, Zalewski can contribute a little bit of offence to go with his size and physicality and was one of just three undrafted free agents in the top 50 of SB Nation’s countdown of the best college prospects. Canucks prospect Ben Hutton, incidentally, was listed at 21.

Zalewski clearly has good breakaway speed and some nice hands, which is always nice to see from someone who’s most likely to become a bottom-six forward.​
http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/0...ss/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
weren't we rumoured to have gotten him but he decided to stay at Lowell or Umass wherever he plays for another year?

Yeah, the rumour was that we had signed him but apparently not. What they're doing now with Zalewski (if he gets in a game or two here with the big club) and with Lain last year where they burned a year of his ELC IIRC seems to be a new tactic by management in getting the guys they want.

If he turns out to be anything like his brother who was a useful AHL forward for the Devils' affiliate it would be a win.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
capgeek

Zalewski

CONTRACT HISTORY
LENGTH: 2 YEAR(S) VALUE: $1,850,000 TYPE: ENTRY LEVEL EXPIRY STATUS: RFA SOURCE: CapGeek
SEASON AHL SALARY NHL SALARY P. BONUSES S. BONUS AAV CAP HIT
2013-14 $70,000 $925,000 $0 $92,500 $925,000 $925,000
2014-15 $70,000 $925,000 $0 $92,500 $925,000 $925,000

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Are they simply keeping him up on the Canucks' roster so he will earn an NHL salary as opposed to minor league and bonus? Seems like a smart thing to do if you've got a bunch of cap space doing nothing until the end of the season.

Revolution9*

Are they simply keeping him up on the Canucks' roster so he will earn an NHL salary as opposed to minor league and bonus? Seems like a smart thing to do if you've got a bunch of cap space doing nothing until the end of the season.

I read that because he was signed after the deadline he can't be assigned to the AHL.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
I read that because he was signed after the deadline he can't be assigned to the AHL.

This question has been answered by Wetcoster in post #81

A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season.
[/INDENT]

Just take this simply as a leverage. Let him experience the NHL on the road, practice with the team and what not.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This question has been answered by Wetcoster in post #81

Just take this simply as a leverage. Let him experience the NHL on the road, practice with the team and what not.

According to the Utica newspaper, The Observer Dispactch, Zalewski will not play for the Utica Comets this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad