Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign Mike Zalewski

Dreamboat

Esports Caster
Feb 1, 2009
Victoria
twitter.com
Apparently Mike Zawleski can't be assigned to the Comets this season.

Zalewski will not join Comets
Former New Hartford star on Canucks' roster emailprint 0
Posted Mar. 19, 2014 @ 8:47 pm

Mike Zalewski will not play for the Utica Comets this season.
The former New Hartford High School star signed a contract with the Vancouver Canucks last week after two seasons at RPI, where he scored 21 goals and added 26 assists in 75 games. It was thought that he might join the Comets, Vancouver’s American Hockey League affiliate, but the Canucks said Wednesday he is ineligible to be assigned to the AHL because he was signed after the National Hockey League’s trade deadline. He is listed on the Canucks’ roster, but it is unknown whether he will dress for any games this season or if he will be assigned to the Comets next season.
Zalewski played on New Hartford’s 2009 state championship team. He played for the Syracuse Stars in the Eastern Junior Hockey League the next season, and then spent two seasons with the Vernon Vipers of the British Columbia Hockey League – scoring 38 goals and adding 37 assists in his second year – before going to RPI.
Observer-Dispatch

Read more: http://www.uticaod.com/article/20140319/Sports/140319032#ixzz2wtewgMs0

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, this was new in the CBA, it's why guys like Dekeyser Lagannierre, and Sustr all got NHL time last year IIRC

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon

The former New Hartford High School star signed a contract with the Vancouver Canucks last week after two seasons at RPI, where he scored 21 goals and added 26 assists in 75 games. It was thought that he might join the Comets, Vancouver’s American Hockey League affiliate, but the Canucks said Wednesday he is ineligible to be assigned to the AHL because he was signed after the National Hockey League’s trade deadline. He is listed on the Canucks’ roster, but it is unknown whether he will dress for any games this season or if he will be assigned to the Comets next season.
Zalewski played on New Hartford’s 2009 state championship team. He played for the Syracuse Stars in the Eastern Junior Hockey League the next season, and then spent two seasons with the Vernon Vipers of the British Columbia Hockey League – scoring 38 goals and adding 37 assists in his second year – before going to RPI.
Observer-Dispatch

Read more: http://www.uticaod.com/article/20140319/Sports/140319032#ixzz2wtewgMs0

and that puts a rest to the crazy speculation of the Canucks ruining their image and Mike Gillis making secret back room deals.

I do like this new rule though, it allows College FAs to come straight to the team and fans can get a little more information and an interview or two before they begin their careers, although for impact college FAs AHL playoff push and playoffs themselves would probably have been nice after ending their college careers.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
and that puts a rest to the crazy speculation of the Canucks ruining their image and Mike Gillis making secret back room deals.

I do like this new rule though, it allows College FAs to come straight to the team and fans can get a little more information and an interview or two before they begin their careers, although for impact college FAs AHL playoff push and playoffs themselves would probably have been nice after ending their college careers.

Also (although I can't say I've noticed it happen in the past) it probably discourages teams from hoarding all the good ones.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Maybe it's kind of a stalking-horse strategy aimed at courting higher-profile NCAA players down the line.

Now they can honestly say "Look what we did for old Zedbox. He really made out well for $ure right after he $igned with u$, and you will too."

Yep, if it's a new strategy they're using hopefully it results in more college UFA success.

Wetcoaster

i wonder what made him decided to move from NY to play for Vernon Vipers in BCHL?
From an interview he gave as a rookie with the Vipers:

Q: You were selected by the USHL’s Youngstown Phantoms in the 2010 Futures Draft, but have opted to play with the BCHL’s Vernon Vipers instead. What was the reasoning, and how did it come about?

Michael: At the end of last season I was looking into the BCHL, and as I looked into it, my family advisor Steve Bartlett said that he was good friends with Mark Ferner and Steve put in a good word for me, and after that I was set on Vernon. I was pretty much already set on Vernon before the USHL draft even happened.​
http://vipersdiehardfan.blogspot.ca/2011/05/q-and-with-vernon-vipers-playmaker.html

As always:

:teach:

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Our troubles are over!
936full-monsters-inc.-photo.jpg.gif

Wetcoaster

Observer-Dispatch

If that was the rule how do you explain this?

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch
#Sens have signed college free agent Garret Thompson from Ferris State to one year deal. He will go to Binghamton.

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon
If that was the rule how do you explain this?

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch
#Sens have signed college free agent Garret Thompson from Ferris State to one year deal. He will go to Binghamton.

Garrioch could be just assuming that he will be going to Binghamton?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
With the Canucks officially eliminated how about giving our Utica boy Mike Zelewski a chance to play in the final three games.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
With the Canucks officially eliminated how about giving our Utica boy Mike Zelewski a chance to play in the final three games.

They're probably keeping him on the roster so he can collect an NHL salary for the remainder of the year, unfortunately. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad