Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Ryan Miller to 3-Year, $18m Deal ($6M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Love this deal. Miller could have gotten 5/6 years at as high as 6.5m from some clubs.

3yrs at 6m is just the perfect number for the Canucks. Miller has always put up pretty great numbers on average Sabres teams. SV% consistently around .920

The NMC upsets people, but the fact is Benning did wonders with a 2 team list moving Kesler, he will be fine if Miller needs to be moved with a 5 team list, down the road.

No.

His career is .915, and he had several years of that sprinkled with .922.

Miller is currently the 6th highest paid goaltender IN THE LEAGUE. His performance has been somewhere around the 20th best goaltender in the league.

Nothing about this contract made sense. Two years plus option at $5M maybe.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Linden says we are competing
Benning says we are competing
Aquilini says we are competing

Team cleared space to make changes
Team targeted Bonino over prospects/picks
Team dealt a 3rd for a late 20s 4th liner
Targeted Iginla
Targeted Miller

They want to compete but they just seem stunned and unprepared for the prices, which they should not have been since Van is a mess atm, agents and playera know it. Nobody is coming here unless we meet or beat prices and term, who ever signs is coming for the cash not the playoffs, the team is full of young talent a player can hitch a ride with to the top (Avs or TB).

Hopefully the stay out of the UFA market, accept the state of the team and instead rebuild. They blew an opportunity to sell a rebuild as a chance to see prospects grow using a new GM plus Linden would have made it a positive to the STH. Instead watching an aging team struggle and muddle through by adding more vets will result in more disgruntled fans.

What management says and what they are thinking can be very different.

Anybody who watches hockey knows that UFAs always come overpriced and overrated. I highly doubt that someone who has been a "hockey man" for as long as Benning was unprepared for that.

They could have easily been thinking, "We'll clear space. If we can find a good deal, great, if not, it doesn't matter because we're not contenders anyway."

You're convinced Benning is a complete idiot because he didn't sign overpriced forwards after saying he wants to contend? That's a stretch.

We don't have a log jam on D.

If we have two injuries to any one of our top 4 (happens every season), we'd be on the verge of icing:

Edler-Bieksa
Sbisa-Corrado
AHLer-AHLer

Going 6 deep without a trusty 7th is a bad idea, and that's exactly what we have no assuming Sbisa doesn't turn into a healthy scratch.

Yeah, there's absolutely no log jam on D. To say otherwise — which seems to have become a common thing here — is a complete revisionist history. Every single year we have top 4 Ds missing 50 games minimum. Sometimes it's two of them at the same time. Who's going to play in the top 4 for that time — Corrado, Stanton, Sbisa? Before Benning got here, all people screamed about is how this team needed at least five Top 4 capable guys to be able to compete.

And really, if they wanted to dump Garrison then fine but perhaps they should've targeted a young puck moving defenseman to come back and fill one of those 3rd pairing spots?

We do have a logjam on D, especially with Corrado coming up. You can't spend 4-5M on #5 D-men just in case of injury, the cap won't allow that. You pretty much just have to hope that you can get lucky enough not go through major injury trouble at playoff time.

Yes, we do have a terrible history when it comes to D-men health, but you still can't prepare for that, not with a cap. The best you can do is try to acquire some good 5/6/7 guys that you hope will be able to hold their own whenever their role is increased due to injury to the players in front of them. Kind of like what Martinez did for the Kings this year.

dps

Nov 30, 2011
Yes, the surly and outspoken Ryan Miller, who was famous in Buffalo for not getting along with his backups and doing NOTHING to mentor them or even befriend them, will surely be a mentor to the guy whose job he just took.

You may be right, I don't know much about Miller admittedly, but he doesn't need to 'take him under his wing' to teach him things. He is an experienced goalie and as long as lack is observant and willing to learn he can learn plenty just by observing how Miller trains, practices, pre game routine, any stories he might have both good and bad etc.

Lack will use his own judgement about what to do and what not to do and integrate what works into his skill set.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Good, a mentor for lack.

i keep hearing this and still have yet to hear a good argument why

the counter arguments are:

1. lack is 26 years old, and will be almost 30 years old by the time miller's contract expires
  2. miller has not started less than 60 games a season since 2005-06
  3. miller is the anti-luongo in regards to mentoring backups based on his experience with enroth and lalime
  4. lack will become a ufa while miller is still under contract with the canucks
  5. miller's contract, ntc and age make him virtually untradable

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
the point im making is - i forgive gillis for some of his mistakes (not on, say, signing ****ing marco sturm, but he erased it), but if benning's **** turns out, all i'm going to think is 'man, its a good thing he's lucky instead of smart'

Or he see's something you don't. Is he 'lucky' if Vey and Bonino thrive in Vancouver? I would say no. I would chalk that up to a good eye for talent.

Was Gillis just unlucky with Bernier, Booth and Ballard, or was it simply a case of a poor eye for talent? I go with the latter - especially considering we know what the fans of those players had to say when they were dealt. Here's a hint, it was virtually all bad!

You may not like some of what Benning has done, but he still hasn't made a transaction as head-scratchingly laughable as that Marco Sturm signing. Though he still has lots of time left.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Or he see's something you don't. Is he 'lucky' if Vey and Bonino thrive in Vancouver? I would say no. I would chalk that up to a good eye for talent.

Was Gillis just unlucky with Bernier, Booth and Ballard, or was it simply a case of a poor eye for talent? I go with the latter - especially considering we know what the fans of those players had to say when they were dealt. Here's a hint, it was virtually all bad!

You may not like some of what Benning has done, but he still hasn't made a transaction as head-scratchingly laughable as that Marco Sturm signing. Though he still has lots of time left.

Dorsett for a 3rd round pick comes pretty close IMO.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver
No.

His career is .915, and he had several years of that sprinkled with .922.

Miller is currently the 6th highest paid goaltender IN THE LEAGUE. His performance has been somewhere around the 20th best goaltender in the league.

Nothing about this contract made sense. Two years plus option at $5M maybe.

.005 off, and some of that is due to a couple bad seasons. I still see him as a top ten goalie. His SV% before his trade last year, .923, had him top ten and that was on the 2nd worst team in the league. Considering he transition to a new team for the first time in 12 years and a new conference for the 1st time, it is not surprising he struggled with the Blues.

LolClarkson*

1. lack is 26 years old, and will be almost 30 years old by the time miller's contract expires
  3. miller is the anti-luongo in regards to mentoring backups based on his experience with enroth and lalime
His contract requires that he makes a 5 team list. He is bound by 5 teams. There is lots of places for him.

DAL if Lehtonen goes down again.

MIN, SJ , ANA

Eukaryote

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Love this deal. Miller could have gotten 5/6 years at as high as 6.5m from some clubs.

3yrs at 6m is just the perfect number for the Canucks. Miller has always put up pretty great numbers on average Sabres teams. SV% consistently around .920

The NMC upsets people, but the fact is Benning did wonders with a 2 team list moving Kesler, he will be fine if Miller needs to be moved with a 5 team list, down the road.

You forgot the sarcasm emoticon.

No other team wanted Miller. St. Louis rightfully discarded him for being a washed up, declining starter who posted terrible playoff numbers. He isn't worth that absurd contract, especially given the goalie glut.

His acquisition will go down on the long list of Canucks bad signings as one of the worst.

Last edited:

duuude

Apr 26, 2014

Yeah, I don't understand this either. IMO, Lack is 26 and ready to be #1. He doesn't need a mentor nor does he need a veteran with a known attitude looking over his shoulder.

This signing has EPIC failure written all over it.

bo2shink*

the point im making is - i forgive gillis for some of his mistakes (not on, say, signing ****ing marco sturm, but he erased it), but if benning's **** turns out, all i'm going to think is 'man, its a good thing he's lucky instead of smart'

Wow, JB is doomed and you are set. Lucky if it works but not unlucky if it doesn't.

Eukaryote

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
... Considering he transition to a new team for the first time in 12 years and a new conference for the 1st time, it is not surprising he struggled with the Blues.

BS. It was very surprising. He played behind one of the better defensive teams in the league and lead by one of, if not, the most defensive minded coaches ever and yet Miller failed miserably.

bo2shink*

Yeah, I don't understand this either. IMO, Lack is 26 and ready to be #1. He doesn't need a mentor nor does he need a veteran with a known attitude looking over his shoulder.

This signing has EPIC failure written all over it.

Lack is ready to be a #1?

I do not think you understand what the word EPIC means.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

booth and ballard were established players though. booth was excellent on arrival before his first injury. that has nothing to do with 'eye for talent'.

if vey and bonino work out, i'll give him credit. moreso for vey. if ryan miller works out, its luck.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver
BS. It was very surprising. He played behind one of the better defensive teams in the league and lead by one of, if not, the most defensive minded coaches ever and yet Miller failed miserably.

Not all goalies do well in Defensive systems, not all of them are Mike Smith.

He did worse than one expected sure, but it was not surprising. How many goalies actually succeed in mid-season trades, besides Kipper

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Almost at 1000 so lets turn the next one into a player discussion thread. You can obviously still discuss the contract and everything else in the new thread which is right HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad