Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Colin Delia to 1-Year, $750K Deal (1-Way)

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Interesting signing which I"m finding surprising. I expected either somebody that would be competition for Martin for the NHL backup spot, which Delia doesn't appear to be, or an AHL contracted player to assign to an ECHL team as system depth.

As it is now he could get in the way of Silovs and DiPietro.

I wonder if the idea is to sit Delia in Abbotsford the way the Canucks did with Richard Bachman a few seasons ago. His 1-way seems totally undeserved based on his stats, but maybe they're paying him to be system depth knowing he won't play much.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Guess they decided to go bargain bin shopping vs real competition for Spencer Martin. I really expected them to grab someone a tier above.

I wonder with Curtis Sanford moving on that they decided to value getting a guy who can be more of a support system for their young goalies vs an NHL goalie who may not be happy to be riding pine in the AHL.

But whatever, I'm just glad the days of shelling out huge deals to backups are over.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Seems like a reasonable #3 guy. A bit surprised it's a one-way.
I guess they figure it secures their AHL veteran spot without risking him taking a two-way with Buffalo or someone where he figures he has a better shot at NHL minutes.

That said, if he does get called up, I feel pretty confident saying it would give the Canucks the first all-California goaltending tandem in NHL history.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Delia will be a good partner for Silovs / call up if Demko or Martin get injured. He's good depth. Giving a veteran like him a one-way deal to be in that position isn't insane, either.

Reactions: MarkMM

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Interesting signing which I"m finding surprising. I expected either somebody that would be competition for Martin for the NHL backup spot, which Delia doesn't appear to be, or an AHL contracted player to assign to an ECHL team as system depth.

As it is now he could get in the way of Silovs and DiPietro.

I wonder if the idea is to sit Delia in Abbotsford the way the Canucks did with Richard Bachman a few seasons ago. His 1-way seems totally undeserved based on his stats, but maybe they're paying him to be system depth knowing he won't play much.
He's got 32 NHL appearances under his belt. DiPietro's starts were both poor and Spencer Martin looked to have leap-frogged him on the depth chart. DiPietro is standing in his own way, he'll be the odd man out.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
He's got 32 NHL appearances under his belt. DiPietro's starts were both poor and Spencer Martin looked to have leap-frogged him on the depth chart. DiPietro is standing in his own way, he'll be the odd man out.
Yeah, DiPietro is one of those goalies who can look all-world in juniors, pretty good against AHL players but NHL shooters will pick him apart due to his lack of size. Hopefully we can recoup a pick for him but most likely he gets waived and ends up on some other organizations AHL team

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
(Obviously some goalie is on their way out of the organization, and that guy is probably DiPietro. Colin Delia has played for Jeremy Colliton before in Chicago, so figures to get a bulk of the starts in Abby.

He also is NHL insurance in case Spencer Martin turns out to be a flash in the pan. Hard to argue with signing another veteran goaltender.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The one way part is confusing me but I guess they wanted to get someone who could play a bit at NHL level and had to pay them extra knowing they would be ahl fodder. Odd move, maybe Clark thinks he can pull something extra out of him

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
(Obviously some goalie is on their way out of the organization, and that guy is probably DiPietro. Colin Delia has played for Jeremy Colliton before in Chicago, so figures to get a bulk of the starts in Abby.

He also is NHL insurance in case Spencer Martin turns out to be a flash in the pan. Hard to argue with signing another veteran goaltender.

Maybe not, an echl goalie isn't bad depth. Doesn't bode well for Rick long term.

Maybe not, an echl goalie isn't bad depth. Doesn't bode well for Rick long term. Demko goes down, Delia comes up. With Covid it would be easy to lose 2 goalies in a day. Depth is king.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Maybe not, an echl goalie isn't bad depth. Doesn't bode well for Rick long term. Demko goes down, Delia comes up. With Covid it would be easy to lose 2 goalies in a day. Depth is king.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Pretty meh, yeah I know Colliton knows him from Rockford but I'm always suspicious of goalies who return to the AHL from the NHL and post WORSE numbers.

Also didn't really like him on Chicago from the eye test. Yes they were a bad team but Lankinen made him look terrible in comparison and he didn't stack up that well against Subban either.

Definitely nice to get some depth so we don't see another goalie fiasco again but not sure this was the right pick. ESPECIALLY if he gets more Abbotsford starts, which he shouldn't.

Reactions: Get North

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The most interesting thing about this contract, is that's it's 'one-way'. It means Delia makes $750,000 whether he plays in the NHL with the Canucks or in Abbotsford.

I can't believe that Canucks would be happy paying that much to a veteran goaltender sharing the workload with two other guys in Di Pietro and Silovs. And sending one of those two young goalies to the ECHL would be a big mistake imo.

Something has to give with organization goaltending depth.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The most interesting thing about this contract, is that's it's 'one-way'. It means Delia makes $750,000 whether he plays in the NHL with the Canucks or in Abbotsford.

I can't believe that Canucks would be happy paying that much to a veteran goaltender sharing the workload with two other guys in Di Pietro and Silovs. And sending one of those two young goalies to the ECHL would be a big mistake imo.

Something has to give with organization goaltending depth.
DiPietro could be an ECHL stash and at this stage, I wouldn't be broken up about it.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
DiPietro's development was so messed up over the last couple of years. With his competitiveness and athleticism, I wouldn't bet against him having a decent NHL career. But I would be surprised if he solidifies a regular spot before he's 25 years old. And that likely means with another organization.
A little sad to see because he's an easy guy to pull for.

Reactions: pomorick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad