Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Brady Keeper to 2-Year, 1-Way Deal ($762,500 AAV)

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Thanks for clarifying that indeed you don't understand that this signing has no cap hit impact.

What?

I just clarified that I do now remember there are low-salary allowable one-way deals. I literally just admitted I was mistaken.

Why don't we revisit our conversation from last offseason where you insisted for two full pages that Pettersson would be getting 11-12 million a season in the Matthews/McDavid range. When are you going to admit you were completely wrong?

You know, since you want to get into a discussion about not understanding salary.

Last edited:

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
What?

I just clarified that I do now remember there are low-salary allowable one-way deals. I literally just admitted I was mistaken.

Why don't we revisit our conversation from last offseason where you insisted for two full pages that Pettersson would be getting 11-12 million a season in the Matthews/McDavid range. When are you going to admit you were completely wrong?

You know, since you want to get into a discussion about not understanding salary.

Apologies, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Re: Pettersson, you were definitely right that even if he had a big season he wouldn't get Matthews' contract, that's clear from the signings so far. I still don't think that Barzal's $7M x 3 was a viable comparable because it was signed before last season which figured to be a one-off in terms of deeply depressed value due to the shortened schedule and lack of ticket revenues. Even coming off a season that started slowly and ended early due to injury, which will have cost him some money, I expect that Pettersson will exceed $7M on a three-year bridge.

Reactions: Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Apologies, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Re: Pettersson, you were definitely right that even if he had a big season he wouldn't get Matthews' contract, that's clear from the signings so far. I still don't think that Barzal's $7M x 3 was a viable comparable because it was signed before last season which figured to be a one-off in terms of deeply depressed value due to the shortened schedule and lack of ticket revenues. Even coming off a season that started slowly and ended early due to injury, which will have cost him some money, I expect that Pettersson will exceed $7M on a three-year bridge.

Fair enough, thanks for the response.

Reactions: Blue and Green

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This is probably the best signing of the offseason so far.

Decent size, mobility, grit. The sort of guy you should be signing for your #6-8 spots on the blueline at the sort of cap hit.

I seem to remember him getting a fair amount of praise last year or the year before, but it looks like he hasn't played a ton since then.

With the Canucks' usual parade to the infirmary, I'm sure he'll get a look at some point.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Wasn't what I asked?

Just wondering why a guy probably 8/9 on our depth chart got a 1 way contract.

It's not unusual for top AHL call up players to get one way deals.

That would explain it if Keeper was a top AHL callup, but he has a grand total of 2 regular season NHL games and 1 playoff NHL game, hasn't earned more than that and he's been given a 1-way deal. Perhaps our scouts have seen something really good and of course this won't count against the cap if he's in the minors, but in no way is this a team-friendly deal.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
This is probably the best signing of the offseason so far.

Decent size, mobility, grit. The sort of guy you should be signing for your #6-8 spots on the blueline at the sort of cap hit.

I like it too. I wanted Canucks to sign him out of college

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Interesting AAV. What made the Canucks give him exactly 12k above the minimum? Did someone else offer 761k?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Interesting AAV. What made the Canucks give him exactly 12k above the minimum? Did someone else offer 761k?
Taxes maybe?

Florida fan here: keeper looked okay in his call ups. Likable guy. First offseason after signing he was a bit lazy and was sent down. Much more prepared next year. He was just passed over on a team that had like five 5Ds

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Anything under 1.125 million can be buried and not count against the cap….. so yes even Sutter can be sent down

Reactions: CanucksMJL

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
I know Keeper is a bit raw in terms of his development, but I wonder if some coaching and development by the Canucks will turn Keeper in to a legit NHL defenseman....I like this guy

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I know Keeper is a bit raw in terms of his development, but I wonder if some coaching and development by the Canucks will turn Keeper in to a legit NHL defenseman....I like this guy

So you are saying Keeper will be a keeper?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Looks like he finally started skating again (reported on CanucksArmy)

Brady Keeper has resumed skating for the first time since breaking his leg on the last day of training camp

Feel bad for the guy after breaking his leg in training camp.
Since he was on the LTIR all season, at least he got paid his NHL salary all year?

It's a one-way deal, so he'd have earned it anyway - and he is signed through next year.

Glad he is skating. He's had horrific luck the past couple of seasons.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Looks like he finally started skating again (reported on CanucksArmy)

Brady Keeper has resumed skating for the first time since breaking his leg on the last day of training camp

Since he was on the LTIR all season, at least he got paid his NHL salary all year?
This is great news for him and for the organization. I was hoping he could bring some toughness that was lacking. Wishing him a full recovery and hoping he can be a good depth D-man for the club.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

You broke his leg?!?!

tonya-harding-pumps-her-fists-as-she-finishes-her-gold-medal-winning-program-at-the-womens-championship-08-january-1994-photo-credit-should-read-chris-wilkinsafpgetty-images.jpg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Blueline depth for Abbotsford, if they were to go on a long playoff run? Given the gruesome nature of Keeper's injury it would have to a considered a major 'win' if he can return all.

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad