Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Akito Hirose to 1-Year ELC

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
yeah thats what I believe is most likely, surprised some of the fanbase is exceptionally bullish on him.
I guess that depends on your outlook for OEL. I'm not bullish on his return to form because injuries that hamper turning and mobility don't suddenly get better in an aging player.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He looked solid last year but yeah the fact he’s far from a standout at his age in the AHL is disappointing. Luckily for him he still has another year left on his contract

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Sad to see this year being a write off for Hirose. He destroyed the Young Stars tournament and then flushed out of training camp fairly early on, IIRC. He's a smaller guy to begin with so conditioning will be extra important if he's going to survive the NHL.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Akito "bust" Hirose.

We got him for free... and that's why he was free.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
HIrose took a pounding throughout the early part of the season leading to an injury (like many of the other younger players ) which has restricted the number of games he has played.

I think the question was always is he too small. So far have to say he likely is.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
he got a sniff at the NHL, looked okay and had a summer to prep.
At the time.. u know, this was his future, why the fk didnt he spend 6 days a week on the ice, in the gym , dryland training.
Come into camp super ripped , stronger, heavier, more explosive, faster.
Nutrition, personal trainer.. go ALL OUT.. impress for another year and snag a 3 x 2M contract. ur almost set for life...

no. instead he came into camp looking like a COD gamer coming off a 8 hr redbull fueled online marathon

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Weird timing for the bump on this thread considering he's been injured for 2 months.

But he was poor in Abbotsford before getting hurt, didn't look anything like the same player who finished the season here last year. I don't think he'd be getting into the lineup down there right now with everyone healthy.

He's cooked as a prospect but his one-way deal next year is a bit of a problem.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Weird timing for the bump on this thread considering he's been injured for 2 months.

But he was poor in Abbotsford before getting hurt, didn't look anything like the same player who finished the season here last year. I don't think he'd be getting into the lineup down there right now with everyone healthy.

He's cooked as a prospect but his one-way deal next year is a bit of a problem.
Not to the big club it isn’t. Kid is razor thin. He needs to play at 190 which might be impossible for him to get to.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Yep. Probably time to stick a fork in him unfortunately. Looks like the AHL exposed the weaknesses in his game, namely his inability to contend with the physical aspects of being a dman in a professional league. It's sucks because he can make reads at both ends of the rink and has some passing skills but if you can't anchor a pairing in the AHL, that's probably the death knell.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yep. Probably time to stick a fork in him unfortunately. Looks like the AHL exposed the weaknesses in his game, namely his inability to contend with the physical aspects of being a dman in a professional league. It's sucks because he can make reads at both ends of the rink and has some passing skills but if you can't anchor a pairing in the AHL, that's probably the death knell.

The weird thing in the AHL this year was that it was like his talent totally disappeared.

It wasn't like his defense was some huge problem, it was that he turned into a vanilla nothing offensively. Based on what we saw last year, I expected him to legitimately pop at the AHL level this year in terms of skating and puck movement and that just didn't happen at all. He looked worse offensively than Chad Nychuk when Nychuk got into the lineup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The weird thing in the AHL this year was that it was like his talent totally disappeared.

It wasn't like his defense was some huge problem, it was that he turned into a vanilla nothing offensively. Based on what we saw last year, I expected him to legitimately pop at the AHL level this year in terms of skating and puck movement and that just didn't happen at all. He looked worse offensively than Chad Nychuk when Nychuk got into the lineup.

He's too busy enjoying life with his girlfriend. Doesn't need to score on the ice. :sarcasm:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

I mentioned this before but perhaps he has to play second fiddle to be effective? So when he’s tasked with being the guy to create space and make plays, he’s lost but he’s smart enough to know what to do with what a stronger partner can create for him? I I dunno. Agree with your take in that every time I watched an Abby game, he was just sort of there.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mentioned this before but perhaps he has to play second fiddle to be effective? So when he’s tasked with being the guy to create space and make plays, he’s lost but he’s smart enough to know what to do with what a stronger partner can create for him? I I dunno. Agree with your take in that every time I watched an Abby game, he was just sort of there.

I don't know. He looked great in the prospect tourney and then it's like his confidence just died after that 10-0 game in the preseason and then being cut.

Just a tentative nothingburger out there and with his 25th birthday coming up he's now a write-off.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Shaping up as a lost season for Hirose......they haven't said what his injury is, but 'an upper body injury' is often a euphemism for 'concussion related'.

He actually looked good in his few games in Vancouver at the tail-end of last season. But struggled mightily in his own zone in Abbotsford. He basically had the same problem as Rathbone, It's so tough as an undersized d-man to survive in the pro game, unless you have close to elite-level offensive talent.

Hirose is signed through the 2024-25 season so I guess he'll be back in Abbotsford next year for another go at it. But with the impending arrival of guys like D-Petey and Kudryavtsev, along with some of the returnees, he's going to be hard pressed to get ice-time.

Still, he was high sought after coming our the NCAA last season and along with McWard was worth the risk.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Shaping up as a lost season for Hirose......they haven't said what his injury is, but 'an upper body injury' is often a euphemism for 'concussion related'.

He actually looked good in his few games in Vancouver at the tail-end of last season. But struggled mightily in his own zone in Abbotsford. He basically had the same problem as Rathbone, It's so tough as an undersized d-man to survive in the pro game, unless you have close to elite-level offensive talent.

Hirose is signed through the 2024-25 season so I guess he'll be back in Abbotsford next year for another go at it. But with the impending arrival of guys like D-Petey and Kudryavtsev, along with some of the returnees, he's going to be hard pressed to get ice-time.

Still, he was high sought after coming our the NCAA last season and along with McWard was worth the risk.
Any news or updates since last month? Guys completely disappeared off the radar

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
He's been back for the last few Abbotsford games ... and continued to look like the same ECHL filler as before he was hurt, 0 points in 16 games now.
That's really unfortunate. Just the way it goes with the NCAA undrafted players I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad