Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Ashton Sautner to an entry level deal

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Don't know anything about the guy but I like moves like this. Kind of like getting a free draft pick.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Interesting. Doesn't hurt to give it a shot. Only costs a contract slot.

I rarely watch the Dub so know nothing about the guy.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Interesting. Has a good Junior pedigree; two time WHL champion and a Memorial Cup Championship. Also the Captain of his team this year (overage year).

If there is one thing Gillis was quite solid at, it was acquiring free agent prospects. Tanev, Lack, Eriksson, Kenins, Volpatti, Archibald, Lain, etc...if Benning can prove adept at it as well, more's the better for us.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Some things I could find:

Ashton Sautner – LD – Edmonton Oil Kings – 6’0 – 192

Sautner is a guy that has steadily improved and steadily grown his production as he continued to climb the depth chart with Edmonton. After posting 2 goals and 10 assists in each of his first two seasons, he showed a big jump up to 42 points in 72 games last year. This year he’s already ahead of that pace, too, with 37 points in 49 games while serving as their captain. But the points aren’t everything for him. He does a lot of heavy lifting defensively, skates well and has shown solid growth away from the puck over the past 4 years. I ranked him 42nd overall for the 2012 NHL Draft.

Ashton Sautner - Edmonton Oil Kings - D - L - 6'1 - 193

Had a strong season and playoffs for Edmonton. Showed more confidence with and without the puck, although hockey sense continues to hold him back. Don't see him being picked as it's his 3rd time through the draft in 2014.

Attended Arizona's Rookie Camp in the summer.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
The D situation in Utica should be interesting next year.

Current D:
LHS:
Ehrhardt*, Negrin*, Huskins*, Pedan, Andersson (RFA)
RHS:
Biega (UFA), Sanguinetti (UFA), Corrado (RFA)

* Not under contract with the Canucks

Potentially Incoming D:
LHS:
Sautner, Hutton (Unsigned), McNally (Unsigned), Cederholm, McEneny, Tryamkin (Unsigned; 1 yr left in KHL contract but could be bought out), Liberati (Unsigned)
RHS:
Subban (Unsigned)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think it would better that we sign Subban and Hutton asap.......and dump Anton Cederholm contract?

Miss Capgeek, but Canucks must be close by now to the 50-contract limit....not a real fan of signing over-age d-men who put up points in their last junior season......have to take it on faith they're signing Subban, but becoming slightly concerned.....my guess is that this could mean Hutton returns to school next year for his senior year...too bad, if that's the case....would also like to see them take a real run at Tryamkin, but starting to wonder where all the young d-men are going to end up playing.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The D situation in Utica should be interesting next year.

Current D:
LHS:
Ehrhardt*, Negrin*, Huskins*, Pedan, Andersson (RFA)
RHS:
Biega (UFA), Sanguinetti (UFA), Corrado (RFA)

* Not under contract with the Canucks

Potentially Incoming D:
LHS:
Sautner, Hutton (Unsigned), McNally (Unsigned), Cederholm, McEneny, Tryamkin (Unsigned; 1 yr left in KHL contract but could be bought out), Liberati (Unsigned)
RHS:
Subban (Unsigned)

Good post.

To the AHL next year:
Sautner
Hutton
Subban

To the ECHL:
McEneny
Cederholm

Not signed:
Liberati
McNally

Either Sanguinetti or Biega go unsigned

Hutton/Pedan makes the team next year --> either McEneny or Cederholm makes the AHL

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
Yeah, without knowing exactly where the Canucks are in terms of the contract limit, I can't say whether I like this or not.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Miss Capgeek, but Canucks must be close by now to the 50-contract limit....not a real fan of signing over-age d-men who put up points in their last junior season......have to take it on faith they're signing Subban, but becoming slightly concerned.....my guess is that this could mean Hutton returns to school next year for his senior year...too bad, if that's the case....would also like to see them take a real run at Tryamkin, but starting to wonder where all the young d-men are going to end up playing.

He's had 2 good seasons in the Dub

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
Not sure what sets him ahead of a guy like mceneny.

Not sure how confident the canucks are in McEneny. He didn't show well in prospects or canuck camp and was released early. And on top of that he was a Gillis signing so Benning may not see what Gillis saw in him.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I count 53 contracts for the Canucks. There must be some that are sliding contracts. Someone will have to clear that up because I have no idea how that works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad