Prospect Info: Canucks select D Elias Pettersson , 3rd Round, 80th Overall, 2022

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Ohlund was listed as 6'2 220 for most of his Canucks career and then in his mid-30s somehow jumped to 6'4 235.

The weight maybe makes sense as guys tend to add weight with age but I never questioned that 6'2 listing for a second in 15 years of following his career and he certainly didn't look to me like a guy that was 6'4.
He added 15 pounds of body weight to the bottom of his feet

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ohlund was listed as 6'2 220 for most of his Canucks career and then in his mid-30s somehow jumped to 6'4 235.

The weight maybe makes sense as guys tend to add weight with age but I never questioned that 6'2 listing for a second in 15 years of following his career and he certainly didn't look to me like a guy that was 6'4.

Every time I saw him live, he towered over nearly everyone else.

Looking at the back of some hockey cards online, he's consistently listed as 6'3 210lbs for the beginning of his career and then jumps to 220 by 2006.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Every time I saw him live, he towered over nearly everyone else.

Looking at the back of some hockey cards online, he's consistently listed as 6'3 210lbs for the beginning of his career and then jumps to 220 by 2006.

Hmm, interesting. Hockey cards for the length of his Canucks career seem to have him at 6'3 220 but online rosters I can find from 2008 or so seem to have him mostly at 6'2 220.

I can't find a single 6'4 listing from his time as a Canuck and he left here at age 34, so presumably had stopped growing.

I always perceived him more as wide and powerful than overly tall. A big human, but not really taller than Jovanovski.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Any news on this prospect?

Cautiously optimistic
big guy at 6'4 205

After watching him 3-4 games, he doesn't hesitate to engage physically, makes some good heavy contact (I would like to see more) and maintains a high level of competitiveness along the boards.

I would describe him as having an offensive minded, frequently taking the lead in rushing and handling the puck.
I've even witnessed him rushing on a breakaway during penalty kill situations

he possesses good mobility and speed, especially in the initial strides
he's got a long stick that is reminiscent of Willie Mitchell's
he effectively reaches out and occasionally disrupts plays during rushes.

I like this guy, and honestly, all our D-prospects look pretty solid from what I've seen.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Did he have a concussion? Thought I read that over on the International Tourney board. Is he back playing now?

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Cautiously optimistic
big guy at 6'4 205

After watching him 3-4 games, he doesn't hesitate to engage physically, makes some good heavy contact (I would like to see more) and maintains a high level of competitiveness along the boards.

I would describe him as having an offensive minded, frequently taking the lead in rushing and handling the puck.

I like this guy, and honestly, all our D-prospects look pretty solid from what I've seen.
Thanks!

Reactions: ihaveyuidonttouchme

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Cautiously optimistic
big guy at 6'4 205

Do you think he might be ready to make the transition to the AHL next season?

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Cautiously optimistic
big guy at 6'4 205

Love your work, first of all.

On Pettersson, I know a lot of people like this prospect but every time I watch him he underwhelms - seems to lack the high end breakout passing ability that I like to see in prospects playing at lower levels. He skates well and is big and might make the show at some point but I don't know if I see any top 4 upside with him, sorry to say.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Love your work, first of all.

On Pettersson, I know a lot of people like this prospect but every time I watch him he underwhelms - seems to lack the high end breakout passing ability that I like to see in prospects playing at lower levels. He skates well and is big and might make the show at some point but I don't know if I see any top 4 upside with him, sorry to say.
Oh, for sure, there are areas where I'd love to see more improvement in terms of executing plays. While it's true that we have prospects with exceptional passing skills like Willander and Bruz, I'm selfishly hoping for someone with a rush-first mentality. hehehe

We seem to have that covered, and adding a player who excels in that aspect could bring a different dynamic to our depth

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
D-Petey will make his way to Abbotsford in time for the wind-up of the AHL season and into the playoffs.

It'll be an interesting snapshot to see where he is in terms of his development. One thing is for certain after watching him at the WJHC. He's a pretty mean piece of business......and I suspect he'll relish the closer quarters and all the physical contact on the smaller NA rink.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Hmm, interesting. Hockey cards for the length of his Canucks career seem to have him at 6'3 220 but online rosters I can find from 2008 or so seem to have him mostly at 6'2 220.

I can't find a single 6'4 listing from his time as a Canuck and he left here at age 34, so presumably had stopped growing.

I always perceived him more as wide and powerful than overly tall. A big human, but not really taller than Jovanovski.
He was taller than Jovo. I met them side by side.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
after seeing him all these games against his peers, surprised Orebro cannot make room for him earlier. Its not like they are doing great this year for themselves, they seem to lose a lot of close games, having a physical beast in the back shouldn't hurt.

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad