Value of: Canucks Scoring Winger to Carolina

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I think Beauvillier might interest the Canes. He has speed and has stepped it up in the playoffs before and only one season left on his contract as a rental. This is the guy the Canucks will deal for a pick or a prospect by the draft.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Gee, I wonder if Max Pacioretty and Andrei Svechnikov might have made a difference?
One would think so, but some astute observations from 3rd party fans on the main board say they wouldn't have.

It's astounding how many bad takes are around on this board; including from long time users.

Reactions: Shocker

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
One would think so, but some astute observations from 3rd party fans on the main board say they wouldn't have.

It's astounding how many bad takes are around on this board; including from long time users.

For reasons I've never fully understood, there is a contingent of posters that have always been a part of this place that feel completely comfortable commenting on series they didn't watch and/or players that aren't really familiar with.

It's fine to look at stats, and form opinions from watching the highlights, the average hockey fan usually is well versed in their own team and may not even watch any other team play.

And that's totally fine.

But when those fans start offering up really strong opinions on players or teams where it's patently obvious that they don't watch where things get weird.

Why would anyone get into an argument about a topic that they don't actually know about? Stranger yet, why would they choose a close follower of the very topic that they don't know much bout to have that argument with? I can't think of an easier way to be exposed as a fraud than doing that, but always, and I've been here a long, long time, there's been a huge contingent of the posters that fall into that category.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
For reasons I've never fully understood, there is a contingent of posters that have always been a part of this place that feel completely comfortable commenting on series they didn't watch and/or players that aren't really familiar with.

It's fine to look at stats, and form opinions from watching the highlights, the average hockey fan usually is well versed in their own team and may not even watch any other team play.

And that's totally fine.

But when those fans start offering up really strong opinions on players or teams where it's patently obvious that they don't watch where things get weird.

Why would anyone get into an argument about a topic that they don't actually know about? Stranger yet, why would they choose a close follower of the very topic that they don't know much bout to have that argument with? I can't think of an easier way to be exposed as a fraud than doing that, but always, and I've been here a long, long time, there's been a huge contingent of the posters that fall into that category.
Good points.

Regarding Svechnikov and Pacioretty, all people have to do is see they're both 30+ goal scorers with a quick stat check.

Even if you don't watch a team with said players, it's very logical to conclude they would've been important difference makers in a series with games ALL decided by just ONE goal.

Not to mention Svech is easily one of our most physical players, and that being important in the playoffs.

Reactions: Tryamw

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Carolina’s ”scoring problem” against the Panthers was simply Bob playing at a superhuman level + injuries to Carolina’s Top 6. There’s not really a need to make bad deals to fix a problem that might not exist.
Came here to say something like this and also their top winger was injured so there really isn't a need nor a real fit from any of the Canuck wingers....summertime thread.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Is it really though? Lets be real, the main boards of HF aren't exactly known for intelligent conversations very often.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Garland’s a terrible roster fit. Aho, Jarvis, Teravainen and Necas is arguably too much finesse, by size or playstyle, already.

I think the FO agrees. Look at the forwards they’ve been linked to publicly over the past year: Marchment, Tkachuk, Meier, Lindholm.

As sort of discussed, i certainly wouldn't describe Garland as a "finesse" winger. He's a cranky little munchkin on the ice. Plays with a lot of grit and bite, and does most of his work in traffic areas, particularly around the net.

But i do understand the dilemma when it comes to just raw "size" and where Carolina already have a pretty darn small core up front...outside of Svechnikov and Staal basically.

Sort of compounded by the way i think Rod Bod Man wants his team to play. It's clear they'd like to add a guy with a bit of at least quasi-power-forward attributes to their game to add some beef to that pressure system and forecheck.

But that's where things circle back to JT Miller, who has also been rumored at times as being of potential interest to the Canes. His ability to play Center or Wing also seems like a plus there. He brings the sort of size, bite, and powerful game that would really satisfy what the Canes seem to be looking for. Problem is...with Horvat moved now, i really don't know that the Canucks are even particularly interested in moving JT Miller anymore. He's one of their two competent Centers and it seems clear that they've chosen him over Bo, as part of the core to move forward with.

And outside of that...Canucks don't really have anything that fits the bill. They're quite frankly, also kind of looking to add some more of that element to balance out the more "finesse" skill they have assembled.

So unless Carolina are just looking to add more offensive scoring talent, full stop...i'm not sure it's as easy a fit as it might have been previously.

Canes need to aim higher than this.

Yeah. Beauvillier is a decent, but slightly overpaid Top-9 Utility winger who can go on the odd hot streak offensively...but he's miles from the sort of impact scorer the Hurricanes need to be looking for. He's just filler...of which the Canes already have a decent amount kicking around. He's also not a big or particularly gritty player at all either, which just compounds that issue again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad