Value of: Canucks Scoring Winger to Carolina

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Simple premise. There's been a common sentiment among Canes reporting that there's a need for scoring (Panthers really shut down the offense prior to Gm. 4 when the 3 goal outburst happened). Canucks have scoring wingers (26 year old Boeser: 18 goals, 55 points in 74 games, $6.65 million * 2 years; 27 year old Garland: 17 goals, 46 points in 81 games, $4.95 million * 3 years; 25 year old Beauvillier: 9 goals, 20 points in 33 games after trade from NYI, $4.15 million * 1 year).

Is there a fit for a trade here? We would look for a young 3rd C (e.g. Drury) or a young RHD prospect (not really sold on Morrow unless reporting isn't up-to-date, but we want a stable defender in their own end with some upside). Alternatively, would there be any possibility Pesce would be moveable for any of the above, or for a small sweetener (if no extension is in place at the time of trading)? Open to hearing realistic proposals or counter-offers (I get that Pesce might not be "realistic" so don't waste your time writing that) to gauge these players' value, thanks and look forward to your comments.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Simple premise. There's been a common sentiment among Canes reporting that there's a need for scoring (Panthers really shut down the offense prior to Gm. 4 when the 3 goal outburst happened). Canucks have scoring wingers (26 year old Boeser: 18 goals, 55 points in 74 games, $6.65 million * 2 years; 27 year old Garland: 17 goals, 46 points in 81 games, $4.95 million * 3 years; 25 year old Beauvillier: 9 goals, 20 points in 33 games after trade from NYI, $4.15 million * 1 year).

Is there a fit for a trade here? We would look for a young 3rd C (e.g. Drury) or a young RHD prospect (not really sold on Morrow unless reporting isn't up-to-date, but we want a stable defender in their own end with some upside). Alternatively, would there be any possibility Pesce would be moveable for any of the above, or for a small sweetener (if no extension is in place at the time of trading)? Open to hearing realistic proposals or counter-offers (I get that Pesce might not be "realistic" so don't waste your time writing that) to gauge these players' value, thanks and look forward to your comments.
I understand the premise of this deal and think there is potential for these 2 teams to make a trade but the assets coming back for Boeser, Beauvillier or Garland won't have the value of a Morrow. Drury maybe because he didn't show scoring touch at the NHL level yet and he's 23, but Morrow is probably a top 2 Carolina prospect.

Reactions: McJedi

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
JT Miller
Too soon

I understand the premise of this deal and think there is potential for these 2 teams to make a trade but the assets coming back for Boeser, Beauvillier or Garland won't have the value of a Morrow. Drury maybe because he didn't show scoring touch at the NHL level yet and he's 23, but Morrow is probably a top 2 Carolina prospect.
Garland or Boeser could be had for fairly cheap without giving up a top prospect. Both hold some value but it isn't that high

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Isn't there reports on Garland potentially being bought out? If that's the case, I can't see Hurricanes offering up anything substantial like, and especially not Pesce, or a solid defender.

Boeser looked better but I think Vancouver keeps him for now as the offers most likely won't be too strong. So unless you're just looking to offload him, he's not returning the above.

I also can't see them with a lot of interest in Beauvillier.

If you want Pesce, or a solid defender, you'll have to be offering up more than that. I am not sold on Drury but he's young and cost controlled, so there's no reason to move him. But I'll let their fanbase answer that one.

Reactions: DaveG

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Isn't there reports on Garland potentially being bought out? If that's the case, I can't see Hurricanes offering up anything substantial like, and especially not Pesce, or a solid defender.

Boeser looked better but I think Vancouver keeps him for now as the offers most likely won't be too strong. So unless you're just looking to offload him, he's not returning the above.

If you want Pesce, or a solid defender, you'll have to be offering up more than that. I am not sold on Drury but he's young and cost controlled, so there's no reason to move him. But I'll let their fanbase answer that one.
I haven't heard this from any actual source. There has been HFB speculation that the Canucks have to do something to clear cap, but a buy out 1 year into a new contract that is not a deal but is probably on the high side of average is very poor asset management....so I guess for Vancouver its a very real possibility.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I don't think either Boeser or Garland hold that type of value. I could see something like Garland for a 3rd round pick or Boeser with 1M retained for a 2nd.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Rutherford admitted he overestimated the market for his excessive wingers during the summer pressers last off season. He signed Mikehyev thinking he was going to be able to move one of Boeser or Garland easily and get something back for them. Now they've added Beauvillier.

SJS moved Burns out with 33% retention for 3 years for a 3rd round pick plus a spare parts.
VGK attached Coghlan to move Pacioretty for free.

Both deals were done extremely quickly because Grier and McCrimmon knew it was a game of musical chairs and there are probably double the number of people vs chairs.

Rutherford likely "evaluated" the market by thinking he was gonna call around and get the best offer for his wingers without realizing there would be close to no offers without taking back equally unhelpful cap. They ended up dumping Dickinson for a 2nd and delayed the problem to this summer.

I doubt the Canucks management is dumb enough to make the same mistake twice. I have a feeling based on this that the deal will be underwhelming and possibly with retention. Neither Garland nor Boeser rises to the level of a Fiala that would make a team part with significant asset because the player is a core player in their view.

Identify the player you want to move on from and take the best deal before free agency opens.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

These are unconfirmed rumours that orignate from second tier Canuck reporters who create false drama to generate clicks to their social media accounts. On a daily basis, we get "reports" that the Canucks are looking to buy-out Garland/Boeser/OEL/Myers or are trading them by adding a sweetener (one of 11 OA pick, Podkolzin, Hoglander) because of the teams dire Cap situation.

The truth is, the Canucks don't need to off-load any contracts to fit under the salary cap. Worst case scenerio, they can simply run back the same line-up they ended the season with if they can't move any salary. That leaves 2 glaring holes the Canucks lineup (a 3rd line C, 2nd-pair RHD), which is why they want to move 1 or 2 of Garland/Boeser/OEL/Myers.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Carolina doesn't want Miller.

I could see them being interested in Garland, if he comes essentially for free.

Boeser is too slow to fit in RBA's high-pressure system.

Reactions: McJedi

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Garland’s a terrible roster fit. Aho, Jarvis, Teravainen and Necas is arguably too much finesse, by size or playstyle, already.

I think the FO agrees. Look at the forwards they’ve been linked to publicly over the past year: Marchment, Tkachuk, Meier, Lindholm.
Can't say the word 'finesse' has ever come to mind while watching Garland play.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

I struggled to come up with a good catch-all term for what I’m describing. Hence, I added size or playstyle for clarification.

I recognize that he competes hard. Going up against the trees in the postseason, his size is what it is, however. Not a shot at the player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, he's certainly not a "heavy" winger.

The Canes missed Svechnikov, obviously, during the playoffs, both for his scoring and his physicality. Pacioretty, too, but IMO, they might have missed Nino more. Nino is that net front and corner presence that works very well in the playoffs, and while he won't score a ton, he has some puck skills.

I don't know if Nino would be made available by WPG, or if CAR can afford his 4M AAV, but if I was them I would look into re-acquiring him. He likes it in CAR, his game fills a need for them.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I don't think either Boeser or Garland hold that type of value. I could see something like Garland for a 3rd round pick or Boeser with 1M retained for a 2nd.
I agree. If either are dealt, it would be for picks/capspace to shift $ from the wing to D. I'd be perfectly happy with that. Gives us the $ to go after a guy like Graves, Gavrikov ect.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well, he's certainly not a "heavy" winger.

The Canes missed Svechnikov, obviously, during the playoffs, both for his scoring and his physicality. Pacioretty, too, but IMO, they might have missed Nino more. Nino is that net front and corner presence that works very well in the playoffs, and while he won't score a ton, he has some puck skills.

I don't know if Nino would be made available by WPG, or if CAR can afford his 4M AAV, but if I was them I would look into re-acquiring him. He likes it in CAR, his game fills a need for them.
we could easily fit his AAV since he's a UFA at seasons end.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Garland’s a terrible roster fit. Aho, Jarvis, Teravainen and Necas is arguably too much finesse, by size or playstyle, already.

I think the FO agrees. Look at the forwards they’ve been linked to publicly over the past year: Marchment, Tkachuk, Meier, Lindholm.
Kind of ironic that you mentioned him since you guys handled him pretty well when playing the Devils, no? He's also not really the physically aggressive winger the first two are.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Seems like one of those cases where a team (Carolina) shouldnt and probably wont panic and get a overpriced winger because A) they had unfortunate af forward injuries and B) they played good and like has happend to so many teams in the past ran into a hot goalie

Results could swing in their favour next year as they will easily be a favourite again, rightfully

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Kind of ironic that you mentioned him since you guys handled him pretty well when playing the Devils, no? He's also not really the physically aggressive winger the first two are.

While not a classic power forward, Meier did lead New Jersey in playoff hits (37) by a healthy margin (+9).

It's not necessarily about physical play even. The team could use another skill player physically capable of getting to the net consistently. Just basic line building. There's only one Svechnikov to go around presently.

Reactions: Tryamw

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It wouldn't surprise if Carolina circles back to the reports about Arizona's Nick Schmaltz rather than seeking any of the Canucks.

Reactions: Tryamw

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Seems like one of those cases where a team (Carolina) shouldnt and probably wont panic and get a overpriced winger because A) they had unfortunate af forward injuries and B) they played good and like has happend to so many teams in the past ran into a hot goalie

Results could swing in their favour next year as they will easily be a favourite again, rightfully
It’s like I always say: stay the course because next year will be different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad