Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recalling F Will Lockwood from Abbotsford

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
bailey seems to not be in the boudreau plan. he got 4 games in january and topped out at 9 minutes and change.

lockwood to me is not motte 2.0 at all. more like hansen .85. he's a fast smart winger lacking natural offensive upside who is a gamer and he hits, but hansen was over 6' and close to 200lbs when he did the things he did. if lockwood makes it i think it will have to be because he is smart and can maybe read the play at the nhl level and be more productive than his ahl stats suggest.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Excited to get a look at Lockwood. He seemed like a speedy banger when we saw him in the preseason. Canucks need players that will play the body.
He needs to play smart and not try to crash into every 6’2 220 lb opponent like Brule tried to do 15 years ago at a similar size.

Richardson won’t impact Lockwood. Richardson was claimed in the small chance that the Canucks gained ground on Dallas but that didn’t happen. So having that veteran on the 4th line in meaningful games isn’t necessary since the games won’t be meaningful.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He needs to play smart and not try to crash into every 6’2 220 lb opponent like Brule tried to do 15 years ago at a similar size.

Yup. If he runs around like an idiot he'll just get hurt - as has happened in the past, and as happened often with Motte.

Motte actually improved his game this year (and stayed healthier) by being less physical - his hit totals basically dropped in half from what they were in previous years before neck surgery, but he was better at using his speed to force the play and force turnovers than he was using it chase hits.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Curious to see how he looks at an NHL pace. Something interesting to monitor as the season closes out, which is nice, at least. Hopefully Rathbone isn't far behind.

Reactions: Lindgren

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Curious to see how he looks at an NHL pace. Something interesting to monitor as the season closes out, which is nice, at least. Hopefully Rathbone isn't far behind.
He looked very energetic last year (stood out for sure) and in preseason. Definitely get huge Motte vibes. I think he has a more agitating side which will come out once he establishes a full time spot.

Reactions: David71

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
His numbers at the AHL level are quite comparable to Motte's as well. Hes also from Michigan like Motte and both played for UofM. Hes much lighter than Motte though.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
I don't know how many NHL teams out there are looking for a player that has absolutely no idea what to do when he has the puck.

Same shit is said for other players when they are a Canuck and then all of a sudden we have posts on how Gadjovich and MacEwen are elite 4th liners.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Richardson is one of the few centres on the roster so I doubt it's to replace him. I would guess, if it's not injury related, they shuffle in Lockwood for Petan. They can move the lines around a little to make it work. He has a similar style to Motte and Highmore so he makes a lot of sense as the Motte replacement on that line. Ideally Chiasson is out of the lineup and Lockwood just replaces him but I really don't think that's the way this team thinks.
this makes the most sense

Reactions: Vector and geebaan

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
You know I was just thinking, Gadjovich and MacEwan are elite 4th liners

Further more interesting someone would know others said that after joining the boards three months after both were claimed!

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Many of us at the start of the year thought MacEwen and Gadjovich were better off on our roster than who Benning chose with Chiasson and Petan.

This narrative has apparently escalated to thinking MacEwen and Gadjovich are elite 4th liners - except no one said it.
Exactly. Pretty much anyone who cared was just pissed off that Gadjovich didn't get a fair shake to prove himself in camp and then the decision for any of Dowling Chiasson PDG and Petan all of whom would have easily cleared waivers to stay over properly managing the assets however small was asinine. And FFS we are so small and weak and have had little to no answers for players all year asking Schenn to deal with it which has been absurd.

MacEwen vs Chiasson at 5v5
pts = 2-4-6 to 2-3-5
shots = 69 to 48
hits = 134 to 52
Fights = 10 to 0
Takeaways = 18 to 5
Age = 25 to 31 and MacEwen is faster
Also = MacEwen was a hugely popular guy in the room close with Boeser and Miller who's fuxxing Dad passed away suddenly at like 50yrs old last year of a heart attack and the morons cut him.

Think about this....The guy that was willing to end up with CTE to protect his teammates and Dad passed away leading to a bad season (shocking i know) waived for Dowling and Chiasson. This one off season after they couldn't even extend the courtesy to talk to Chris Tanev and/or his agent who had destroyed his face and body for this losing team.

It's little to no surprise that this team quit caring about this organization

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Time to redeem that terrible 2016 draft.
I get your premise, but even if Lockwood becomes a full time 3rd line player (probably an absolute peak for him.) That doesn't really begin to scrape the stink off of that utter failure of a draft and season.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
More of what the Nucks need, fast players with an edge. Richardson is here because they hope that his compete and professionalism pay off with a bunch of the soft duds on the team. The Nucks aren't going anywhere with the slow, turn the other cheek, types of which there are too many.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lockwood's second NHL game against the Blues yesterday was far better than his first. He really does have an elite set of wheels when he's bursting through the neutral zone.

On the downside, absolutely 'zero finish' around the net either here or in Abbotsford. But I suppose he could stick as a fourth-line 'energy guy' and a penalty-killer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad