Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall Zack MacEwen, Tyler Graovac

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Pearson, Baertschi, Virtanen, Leivo, Gaudette, Ferland, Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson. I am assuming that Leivo, Gaudette and Virtanen will have some kind of extension soon (we wouldn't lose them for nothing... or... well, let's assume we will do the right thing). 14 forwards. With MacEwen, who plays better as a C, we have 6C. If you want him as a 4th line C, I don't see anyone else to take out of the lineup. Roussel? Ferland? Almost as unmovable as Eriksson.

Do you see the lineup not changing at all from now until next year? Like at all?

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Do you see the lineup not changing at all from now until next year? Like at all?
Do you see you have 13 forwards under contract? Do you see Benning trading away players for picks/prospects to open up spaces in his tenure, with exception of one trade deadline where we were out of the playoff hunt? Like, do you hide under a rock in the last 5 years?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Graovac has been awful in the AHL since returning from injury and that he's getting any sort of recall speaks to our godawful depth down the middle.

MacEwen hasn't been a lot better, either.
The only reason Graovac is getting called up is because he is the only center in Utica on a NHL contract. Nice depth there Jimbo. The other centers down on the farm are on AHL contracts or wingers playing out of position and struggling to keep their heads above water.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Graovac has been awful in the AHL since returning from injury and that he's getting any sort of recall speaks to our godawful depth down the middle.

MacEwen hasn't been a lot better, either.
Graovac is a puzzle.....He was a 50-point player last year in Stockton, including 24 goals so he does have some offense. But has obviously bounced around the league. So there must be something in his game that NHL teams feel they can live without. As far as MacEwen is concerned, he's mostly had a tough year so far in Utica, but the problem is that as a winger he needs a center to actually get him the puck. And the Comets are a mess in the middle.

So if nothing else, hopefully they can bring some energy to the fourth line.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Graovac is a puzzle.....He was a 50-point player last year in Stockton, including 24 goals so he does have some offense. But has obviously bounced around the league. So there must be something in his game that NHL teams feel they can live without. As far as MacEwen is concerned, he's mostly had a tough year so far in Utica, but the problem is that as a winger he needs a center to actually get him the puck. And the Comets are a mess in the middle.

So if nothing else, hopefully they can bring some energy to the fourth line.

He had one extremely good game in the preseason for us and a couple other decent ones, but got immediately injured in Utica's season opener. In the games since he's been back, he's been very poor. An in-form Graovac is a perfectly reasonable call-up but when struggling coming off an injury he should be nowhere near an NHL roster.

As noted, he's the only other center on an NHL contract in the entire organization, which is kinda bonkers.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Aaaaaaaand just like that not even halfway through mid November, ferland, sutter, beagle, rouselle is out. 4 of our regular top 6 bottom sixers.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Jeezus, did he really say that? What a silly thing to say.

Here:

Out of all my years here, this is the year we have good depth in the organization. I’m happy that we’ve gotten to this point because now when we call up players — there’s no getting around injuries — we’re going to be able to call up players who can be part of our group.

And

Olli Juolevi played (Friday) night for Utica and had a real strong game. So we’re getting Olli up and going down there. Get him lots of minutes and get his confidence up, so he’s a guy we feel we can bring up at some point and get him games. (Ashton) Sautner had a good camp and we know what he is — he can be a call-up guy for us on the third pair. Jalen Chatfield and Guillaume Brisebois had good camps. The point I’m trying to make is I feel we have good depth on defence with young players. And if we do have injuries back there, these guys can come up and play NHL games.

This . . . this is the year.

Last edited:

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Battery was my first thought when he was signed but I couldn't remember the name of the battery brand. Google helped me remember.

Anyhow, he's 26 and has 62 NHL games in his career. He's had his welcome.
Woah... sleeper. Knew he was older, but did not know 62 games. Whoosh.

Reactions: F A N

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad