Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall Zack MacEwen, Tyler Graovac

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
One development I want to see is for MacEwen to establish himself as a solid 4th line option for this team so we can pencil him into the lineup next season.

Reactions: IDJOTBOY

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
One development I want to see is for MacEwen to establish himself as a solid 4th line option for this team so we can pencil him into the lineup next season.
You assume we can trade Beagle out... which is extremely difficult.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Probably not a great omen for Beagle and Sutter's injury status.

No it isnt a great omen for Beagle and Sutter injury status.....!...Having Beagle,Sutter,Roussel,Motte and Ferland out is a significant chunk of your bottom 6..which puts undue pressure on Horvat who has to play like a rented mule, and has players like JT Miller blocking shots on the PK.

Hopefully,Beagles injury isnt too serious..I fear Sutter is going to be out for some time

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You assume we can trade Beagle out... which is extremely difficult.

Why? MacEwen can play wing and is more likely to be utilized as a winger in the NHL. Do you see Motte and Schaller re-signed for multiple years?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No it isnt a great omen for Beagle and Sutter injury status.....!...Having Beagle,Sutter,Roussel,Motte and Ferland out is a significant chunk of your bottom 6..which puts undue pressure on Horvat who has to play like a rented mule, and has players like JT Miller blocking shots on the PK.

Hopefully,Beagles injury isnt too serious..I fear Sutter is going to be out for some time
MacEwen and Graovac are the perfect guys to employ on your fourth line. Big bodied players, earning basically the league minimum, who are fighting hard on every shift to stay in the NHL. The Washington Capitals, who won a Cup two years ago, currently employ Nic Dowd and Brendan Leipsic on their fourth line --two former Canucks who've been on waivers multiple times in their careers. The Caps had Beagle during their Cup run, but no way were they going to pay him $3m a season for four years.

Canucks are paying ridiculous money and term for bottom six forwards. And if you assume that Eriksson is now a bottom-six forward than the payroll looks even worse.

My prediction is that both MacEwen and Graovac will make it difficult for the Canucks to go back to guys like Sutter, Eriksson, Schaller and even Beagle, once everybody is healthy. But of course that won't influence Green or Benning, so back down they're likely to go.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
MacEwen and Graovac are the perfect guys to employ on your fourth line. Big bodied players, earning basically the league minimum, who are fighting hard on every shift to stay in the NHL. The Washington Capitals, who won a Cup two years ago, currently employ Nic Dowd and Brendan Leipsic on their fourth line --two former Canucks who've been on waivers multiple times in their careers. The Caps had Beagle during their Cup run, but no way were they going to pay him $3m a season for four years.

Canucks are paying ridiculous money and term for bottom six forwards. And if you assume that Eriksson is now a bottom-six forward than the payroll looks even worse.

My prediction is that both MacEwen and Graovac will make it difficult for the Canucks to go back to guys like Sutter, Eriksson, Schaller and even Beagle, once everybody is healthy. But of course that won't influence Green or Benning, so back down they're likely to go.
Graovac wont make it hard to go back to anyone.
MacEwen if he can hold his own defensively and get pucks out and in will be a welcome addition. Great athlete with some nice hands size strength and toughness.

Reactions: MS and WetcoastOrca

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Why? MacEwen can play wing and is more likely to be utilized as a winger in the NHL. Do you see Motte and Schaller re-signed for multiple years?
Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Pearson, Baertschi, Virtanen, Leivo, Gaudette, Ferland, Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson. I am assuming that Leivo, Gaudette and Virtanen will have some kind of extension soon (we wouldn't lose them for nothing... or... well, let's assume we will do the right thing). 14 forwards. With MacEwen, who plays better as a C, we have 6C. If you want him as a 4th line C, I don't see anyone else to take out of the lineup. Roussel? Ferland? Almost as unmovable as Eriksson.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver

Is this even a prediction? Your posts are always so wishy-washy, I do not know what you actually are posting. You are saying that they will go back down, regardless if they exceed expectations. Are you saying that Sutter, Schaller and Beagle have been playing poorly, prior to their injuries?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A lot of guys on the shelf. Motte has been out since before the California road trip. But, nothing revealed about what the issue is with him. Ferland is the concussion protocol. Sutter is Lower Body, possibly his groin. Beagle, didn't catch what was ailing him.

And I would expect Markstrom to take a leave to attend his father's funeral in the next few days. But, the Canucks should be fine as they don't have any back to backs for a while. Can simply ride Demko for 4-5 games until Markstrom returns and gets in a practice.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Grayovac sounds like a battery. But welcome to the show, kid

Battery was my first thought when he was signed but I couldn't remember the name of the battery brand. Google helped me remember.

Anyhow, he's 26 and has 62 NHL games in his career. He's had his welcome.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Interesting prediction.

I understand the unhappiness with Eriksson’s effort this season, but what is it that makes you believe that Graovac and MacEwen will be better than Sutter, Schaller or Beagle?

As I see it:

1. Graovac is 26 years old. He started the season with an injury, has only played 6 AHL games this season and has a total of 1 point in those 6 games and going -6, in case the latter matters to anyone. (It isn’t a good omen but is a small sample of a stat that is marred anyway.) In 62 career NHL games he has 7 goals and 2 assists. My prediction is that he’ll play only if absolutely necessary and there won’t be any consideration of keeping him up if and when the Canucks get the wounded back.

2. According to the reports we’ve seen about MacEwen it is arguable that so far this season he has regressed a little from last season, isn’t particularly sound defensively and retains a tendency to ignore his teammates and try to do things himself offensively. If the reports we get on here from Comets posters are anything remotely close to accurate, it’s hard to see MacEwen being ready to play for Travis Green.

I wouldn’t rule out Big Mac in the future, but at present If either of these guys is an upgrade over the bottom forwards on the Canucks roster it should be a big surprise.

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
According to the reports we’ve seen about MacEwen it is arguable that so far this season he has regressed a little from last season, isn’t particularly sound defensively and retains a tendency to ignore his teammates and try to do things himself offensively. If the reports we get on here from Comets posters are anything remotely close to accurate, it’s hard to see MacEwen being ready to play for Travis Green.
All of this is accurate. I would add one additional detail, he played rw, not center for the majority of his AHL career and there is zero chance we see him at center in Vancouver this time around.

Graovac, for his part is barely cutting the mustard in Utica and shares MacEwen's soloist inclination.

Reactions: UticaHockey

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Interesting prediction.

I understand the uhappiness with Eriksson’s effort this season, but what is it that makes you believe that Graovac and MacEwen will be better than Sutter, Schaller or Beagle?

As I see it:

1. Graovac is 26 years old. He started the season with an injury, has only played 6 AHL games this season and has a total of 1 point in those 6 games and going -6, in case the latter matters to anyone. (It isn’t a good omen but is a small sample of a stat that is marred anyway.) In 62 career NHL games he has 7 goals and 2 assists. My prediction is that he’ll play only if absolutely necessary and there won’t be any consideration of keeping him up if and when the Canucks get the wounded back.

2. According to the reports we’ve seen about MacEwen it is arguable that so far this season he has regressed a little from last season, isn’t particularly sound defensively and retains a tendency to ignore his teammates and try to do things himself offensively. If the reports we get on here from Comets posters are anything remotely close to accurate, it’s hard to see MacEwen being ready to play for Travis Green.

I wouldn’t rule out Big Mac in the future, but at present If either of these guys is an upgrade over the bottom forwards on the Canucks roster it should be a big surprise.

Groavac's offensive production at the AHL level isn't going to matter much. He's a player who can look impressive in a few games at the NHL level. Long term I don't think he's an NHL player.

In terms of MacEwen, I would take Comets' posters comments with a grain of salt when it comes to their evaluation of a player's ability to play in the NHL. They said that Gaunce wasn't ready for the NHL but I think many of us here think that Gaunce can play in the NHL. In reality, it's all about opportunity. As a 4th line winger, ignoring teammates and trying to do things by himself offensively is not an issue at all. Defensive ability would be important. But if MacEwen can forecheck, use his size, and be decent defensively I think he can spend some time as an NHL player.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Battery was my first thought when he was signed but I couldn't remember the name of the battery brand. Google helped me remember.
Yep, coming full circle on this past week's news, I very much remember Don Cherry doing Rayovac commercials...

Is that a South Slavic name? Graovaç?
Indeed. Although it is just a regular "c" (making the 'ts' sound), if it were a "tch" the diacritic would presumably be Slavonic "ć" rather than Turkish "ç".

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad