Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall F Will Lockwood

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Well this is when the rubber hits the pavement.
After YEARS of hearing how good the prospects are, after years of fans promoting players that never played in the NHL. Now they get a chance to play against teams resting for the playoffs or also maneuvering for a better draft position.

Mind you if the powers that be thought these guys made the team better they would have been here much sooner.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
My guess is the Lind experiment is done. It was worth giving Lind a look but the guy cannot skate in the NHL and generated nothing on offense during his callup. You can see his mind wants to go to the right places but his body is often too late getting there.

Again, there's zero downside in giving Lind, Gadjovich, and Lockwood looks. Chances are slim that they will be NHL talent but it's still worth getting looks at this point to see if there's something there.

This franchise lacks any real prospect depth though. Really unfortunate to see that there's literally no top 6, nor bottom 6 NHL talent in the pipeline aside from Podzolkin.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This definitely smells like the last straws for Benning, showing off his prowess at evaluating players or lack of "filling the cupboards with prospects".

I wonder if this is Green's method of showing the lack of depth he has had to deal with

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Joulevi needs help removing the wood splinters out of his butt sitting with the Black Aces.

Even though Green should rest some of his veteran D, he won’t do it. The only guy Juolevi would theoretically dress over is Rathbone - and Rathbone has been too good to sit.

Also, the Canucks don’t want to pay Juolevi any bonuses.

Must be someone else on the current roster who has almost achieved their games played bonuses Lockwood can sub in for or maybe Greener has had another alleged 'altercation' with a top 9 player.

Which top 9 player did Green have an altercation with?

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Really unfortunate to see that there's literally no top 6, nor bottom 6 NHL talent in the pipeline aside from Podzolkin.
This strikes me as inaccurate, unless you mean prospects that are currently ready for top6/bottom6 roles? I think it’s likely one of Lockwood, Gadjo, Lind or Zlodeyev will play.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
These callups I think are more of a "you will be competing for a spot in camp next year so this is what the NHL game is like and this is what you are going to need to improve on to stick with the big club next year".

Reactions: Timmer44

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Lockwood is an infinitely better option than Lind since his buzzsaw style of play fits a bottom 6/mid 6 role infinitely better. Lind doesn't have enough skill to make up for his lackadaisical energy

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Life moves fast, Need to at least try to keep up:

Faber's quote from the article, "From what I’ve heard, there was an altercation between Baertschi and Green and since then it seems as Green would not give Baertschi a real shot to play for him."

Altercation..a noisy disagreement...Baertschi protesting that he shouldn't be sent to the AHL..?..Or what?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
My guess is the Lind experiment is done. It was worth giving Lind a look but the guy cannot skate in the NHL and generated nothing on offense during his callup. You can see his mind wants to go to the right places but his body is often too late getting there.

Again, there's zero downside in giving Lind, Gadjovich, and Lockwood looks. Chances are slim that they will be NHL talent but it's still worth getting looks at this point to see if there's something there.

This franchise lacks any real prospect depth though. Really unfortunate to see that there's literally no top 6, nor bottom 6 NHL talent in the pipeline aside from Podzolkin.
I agree with most of this. Podkolzin is coming in on the heals of Hoglander, who has been this years pleasant surprise along with Rathbone. Boeser, Pettersson and Horvat are in for the long hall. At least one more top six forward is needed. That said, young top six forwards is the least of this teams worries.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Joulevi needs help removing the wood splinters out of his butt sitting with the Black Aces.

Per reporting by Drance, it appears to be a cap issue. One more game sitting and then he can play out rest of season without risking a 212.5k bonus that would carry over to cap next year and cost FAQ straight up cash for no real reason.

Lockwood hasn't exactly blown doors off in Utica, but absolutely the right call to get these kind of players into the lineup to assess going into expansion and training camp next year. Lockwood going into his 23 year old season so its kind of now-or-never for him next season. Boy the 2016 draft class is dire though.

Reactions: lindgren

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I agree with most of this. Podkolzin is coming in on the heals of Hoglander, who has been this years pleasant surprise along with Rathbone. Boeser, Pettersson and Horvat are in for the long hall. At least one more top six forward is needed. That said, young top six forwards is the least of this teams worries.

Of course the depth with regards to D is non-existent. Well run franchises manage to replenish their prospect pool with adequate depth in all areas. I would say you can never have too much depth in a single area. Horvat is 26, Boeser 24, EP 22. Tampa still made an emphasis to draft and stockpile prospects which enabled them to sell young talent like Namestnikov, Connollly, Droin, Nesterov and Miller to better areas like their D. They just backfill those vacated positions with players like Pacquette, Joseph, Erne, and Cirelli. The crazy thing is the Tampa organization made it a point to stockpile draft picks last season to make up for the "deficit" from the two previous drafts.

Anyways, here's hoping Lockwood looks NHL ready. Certainly hoping for his game to translate well for the bottom 6, especially on the third line.

Reactions: lindgren

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Benning has no choice but to get as many young guys a look, that way he has something to deflect with after he trades our first for immediate help. His job is on the line, so he'll do anything to squeak into the playoffs and save his job.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Lockwood always struck me as one of the best two-way forwards the Canucks have drafted under Benning. Always thought he’d have a higher floor than most and would make the NHL earlier than most mid round picks, but his shoulder injury seemed to have delayed that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad