Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall F Vasily Podkolzin, D Matt Irwin from Abbotsford

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I haven't yet watched your game vs Ducks,

No say it isn't so.
but he didn't record anything
- no points, no sog, no hits, no blocked shots, no take aways, no nothing,
not even a + marker
This is why people need to watch games instead of jsut stat watch.

12 minutes of ice time, or something to that nature

its just difficult to fathom reading stuff like this
what good does it do, to have a player with excellent performance,
if the player actually doesn't perform..

to perform : to accomplish
performance : execute, production

confused quest asking here
How do you define excellent performance?
His development has been weird and I doubt that he becomes a top 6 winger at this point but he has utility and he is a positive for this team right now.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
He looks like he's had time to marinate. Glad they didn't rush this guy, and gave him more time to get aclimated to the North American game. He looks far more comfortable now than in his first stint with the big club. He's doing everything he's supposed to be doing, and I think in the next few games we're going to see the goals start coming, too.

Reactions: Chiripa20

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sometimes a player just looks better in the NHL, than they did in the AHL. And Podkolzin may be one of those guys.

In the AHL I got the sense that sometimes he was trying to do to much--as if to compensate for the guys he was playing with. But in the NHL, in some respects the structure and skill makes it an easier game to play.

One thing Podkolzin has worked on though in his stint in Abbotsford, is his shot, particularly his one-timer. It's a rocket, and he gets it away quick. He's definitely found a home with Lindholm and Garland.

Unless he seriously regresses again, or the Canucks get eliminated early, I doubt he sees Abbotsford again this season.

This likely is a pretty safe bet, given there's no roster limit after the deadline.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
5 games, no points, +/- 0
8 sog, 16 hits, (5 hits in game 5)

How long he will stay up with great play? (assuming that's what the consensus is around here,
that he is playing great; the game that i saw, his first back, outside
few good plays, he was avg 3rd/4th line player, but that was my opinion/view)

Because, you have to start producing at some point

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

How long he will stay up with great play? (assuming that's what the consensus is around here,

I don't think he's got the skill to be a legit top 6 forward in the NHL, I see more of an energy player who can hopefully drive play and if he's on a scoring line, he's the 3rd wheel who does the dirty work playing off of 2 skilled players.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Dude doesnt look lost in the nhl and has made some good plays but has yet to score a point
Thats so weird.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Maybe he’s just 4th line player ? Who knows.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Feels like he's been doing the right things - skating well, forechecking, etc.

But may need to play with better players for the numbers to come. However, typically you don't get that promotion until you produce on your own.

Weird situation. At the very least, he looks to be a fine option for 4th line wing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think Tocchet is just blowing smoke, when he says he loves this guy. Hard to say if Podz will ever be a big-time goal-scorer.

But even if all he becomes is a fierce forechecker who can contribute 14-20 goals like he did in his rookie season, he'll be a welcome addition. He's also a RFA this off-season, and I'm sure the Canucks retain him for not much more than $1m a season.

This is the kind of bargain contract they're going to need to be cap compliant.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Been loving Pods game ever since he was recalled from Abbotsford. Love the way he uses his energy to make the big hit to force turnovers. He hasn't been putting up points but he's been playing a well positioned, well disciplined game. With his great work ethic and compete its only a matter of time before Pods starts to put up points. A really easy player to root for.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Been loving Pods game ever since he was recalled from Abbotsford. Love the way he uses his energy to make the big hit to force turnovers. He hasn't been putting up points but he's been playing a well positioned, well disciplined game. With his great work ethic and compete its only a matter of time before Pods starts to put up points. A really easy player to root for.

It's very strange because I've watched almost every game Podkolzin played in Abbotsford this year and he was doing literally 180 degrees the exact opposite of this down there.

Overhandling the puck, skating circles on the perimeter, not playing physical or using his size, fairly frequent puck management errors and turnovers. Then he comes up here and he's doing all the right fundamentals, playing safe simple north-south hockey, getting the puck deep and playing physical meat-and-potatoes hockey.

Makes me question the coaching in Abbotsford a bit especially because we saw a very similar effect with Hoglander when he was down there.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've noticed the same thing with some players who move from the AHL to the NHL. For good hockey players, the NHL is actually easier in some respects to adjust to.

Sure the pace is faster and the skill level is light-years better--but every guy plays their position correctly and can make and receive just about every pass in the book.

In the AHL, my take was that at times both Hoglander and Podkolzin were trying to do too much--not only because they had the talent to try--but also to compensate at times for the lack of skill around them.

Yet that's the useful aspect of AHL games. Skill players will get a ton of ice-time and try all their moves whether they work out or not--but without the constant pressure-cooker of performing every night at the NHL-level.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
So happy Hoglander turned into a pot of gold !

I am started to get concerned about Podkolzin TBH and his future in this organization. He has to start getting points at some point , he should simply not be handed a roster spot next season .

I would be open to trading him at the draft for a 3rd round pick

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
So happy Hoglander turned into a pot of gold !

I am started to get concerned about Podkolzin TBH and his future in this organization. He has to start getting points at some point , he should simply not be handed a roster spot next season .

I would be open to trading him at the draft for a 3rd round pick
Podkolzin will make this team as a high energy, physical, winger in the bottom 6. Since he was drafted at 10 OA everyone has been waiting for him to break out offensively. Nothing he has done so far gives confidence that will happen. Based on his performance in this latest call up, he will make the team next year. What he needs needs to do is consistently bring what he's been bringing. That said, he will need to compete with PDG, Aman, and Lafferty (if re-signed) for a roster spot. If he gets playoff games, that could dictate which way it goes.
He will require waivers next year and they won't lose him for free. I see this going one of two ways. He will either make the roster next year or be traded in the summer as part of a package that brings in a top 6 winger or a top 4 D man.
Longer term I can see him being a complementary, occasional top 6 winger, kinda like Lafferty or PDG but better. I don't see him being a staple in the top 6. I hope I'm wrong.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The Canucks need Podkolzin to step up and take Joshua's roster spot when the latter departs in free agency.

Reactions: Flik

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Canucks need Podkolzin to step up and take Joshua's roster spot when the latter departs in free agency.
Not really comparable..Joshua is one of our best PK’ers..Hitters..Fighters ( if need be) and is trusted by the coach in key situations.

I want to see Podz succeed,but he’s no Joshua replacement.

Reactions: Nucker101

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
He's not really a similar player and he isn't that good.

Lafferty is the guy he probably replaces.

Not really comparable..Joshua is one of our best PK’ers..Hitters..Fighters ( if need be) and is trusted by the coach in key situations.

I want to see Podz succeed,but he’s no Joshua replacement.
Thank you both for crushing the dreams of a simple fan.

;-)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thank you both for crushing the dreams of a simple fan.

;-)

To be clear, if he can step in and replace Lafferty at $1 million for next year and play 12-13 minutes/game and put up 10-10-20 or something from the bottom-6, that's a pretty big win at this point.

Joshua had leveled up this year and was looking like a top-6 winger before his injury in addition to being much more physical than Podkolzin will ever be.

Reactions: Flik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad