Recalled/Assigned: Canucks reassign F Vasily Podkolzin to Abbotsford

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Different ways to look at this. Getting him a game in the AHL before bringing him back up for Vegas and third game in three nights seems the least likely to me. At least if he were to play in Vegas rather than sit in the box.

I can't help but wonder if this was a bit of a showcase at the NHL level as we near the deadline. Of the prospects the canucks have it is Podz and Raty that I think Alvin would be OK moving. It's going to take a something special to move the guys they see as the top 3 prospects (Lekk, EP2, Willander).

Reactions: Indiana

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
There’s no way Kessel comes up without playing some conditioning games in Abbotsford first.
This man don't need no conditioning.

1709741861925.png

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Hard player to judge. Shows tons of effort but lacking results,

Could be a good time to trade him for a player his age in another organization that is having similar issues

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Pod getting traded

Perhaps. It would be easier to trade a player on an AHL roster as the receiving team doesn't have to worry about opening up an NHL roster spot. You wonder if Podkolzin is actually rejoining the team for the Ontario game this morning.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
VP will be 23 years old when he enters training camp next fall (with whichever team). I think we know who he is and I like what he can bring to an NHL roster, even if it isn't the 25 goal scoring top 6 winger.

He is a big, high energy, heavy player who can create chaos on the forecheck and chip in every so often with some offense. He has a good shot and has OK puck skills. Nothing I've seen so far tells me that he won't develop at least adequate defensive play to be an NHL regular. His offensive IQ is where he falls below being a top 6 forward.

He has high character but lacks confidence or maybe is too hard on himself/thinks too much. Hopefully, with some additional maturity and experience, he will overcome his confidence challenges.

He is a 3rd line winger that may have a peak season of 20 goals but will likely average around 15 goals/20 assists in his NHL career. With his size and energy, that's a valuable piece on a third line even if you hoped for more from a top 10 pick.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I still think he is going to have a season where he starts with something like 15 goals 25 pts in the first 25 games. I doubt he will be able to maintain it, but I hope we keep him unless someone is willing to overpay for him. If not next year, the year after.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's being reported on Twitter (X), that according to Rutherford, sending Podkolzin back down was a 'paper transaction' to preserve his eligibility for the AHL playoffs.

But if the Canucks acquire another forward or two before Friday's TDL, then he probably gets sent down for the rest of the season anyway.

Elevating guys like Bains, Karlsson, Podkolzin and even McWard, is all about 'next season'. They want an early look on where they're at in terms of setting next season's roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00