Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign G Joe Cannata to 1-Year Deal (Two-Way; $600k/$80k)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
800k professional!? y2k says you know your **** but i think you're bonkers.

:laugh: Well, his last deal was $67,500/$900,000. He's still a prospect, so I don't know if they would completely low-ball him, but he is the back-up on the farm with a few goalies ahead of him on the depth chart. So that's my rationale for the guess, but who knows? I could be way off.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Minor-league backup depth. Meh. Expect it'll be one year.

Interesting that he's basically our last chance to get anything out of the 2009 draft, though. Remember when that was uniformly considered a 'great draft' here circa 2010 or 2011? Probably a good lesson to remember about our highly-touted 2013 draft ...

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
:laugh: I'll take a guess - two years, two-way. $65k per in the AHL, $800k in the NHL. Bit less than his last deal. He's the low man on the goaltending totem pole.

800k professional!? y2k says you know your **** but i think you're bonkers.

Looks like I was a little high on the NHL side, and low on the AHL side.

Elliott Pap‏@ElliottPap·8m
Nux farm team goalie Joe Cannata's deal is a two-way: $600,000 at the NHL level; $80,000 in the minors. #Canucks

Expand

EDIT: It's also a 1-year deal, according to capgeek.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
So our goalie situation is, at current:

Miller
Lack

Markstrom
Eriksson (is he still on contract?)
Cannata

Demko

Have to assume either Markstrom or Eriksson are gone (Markstrom via waivers), or that Lack is traded. But it would be a little worrying to have either Markstrom or Eriksson backing up Miller.

And Benning can't hold onto Markstrom just because he was a piece of the last regime's Luongo trade. He has to move forward without that consideration, and if Markstrom is not good enough, he has to go.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Markstrom has more poteintial than any of those guys imo. It's too bad it has come to this.

we have 3 goalies prospects in the same age group all at 24

Cannata
Ericksson
Markstrom

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So our goalie situation is, at current:

Miller
Lack

Markstrom
Eriksson (is he still on contract?)
Cannata

Demko

Have to assume either Markstrom or Eriksson are gone (Markstrom via waivers), or that Lack is traded. But it would be a little worrying to have either Markstrom or Eriksson backing up Miller.

And Benning can't hold onto Markstrom just because he was a piece of the last regime's Luongo trade. He has to move forward without that consideration, and if Markstrom is not good enough, he has to go.

Yes, Eriksson is still under contract for another year. $925k at the NHL level, $70k at the AHL leve. He's an RFA after that.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Eriksson is a good goalie. Very streaky though. Will go from red hot to cold all the time. Cannata is a good stopgap for that. I doubt either make the NHL though.

Eriksson struggled early on adjusting to the different angles of the North American rinks. After he figured things out he almost singlehandedly took the Comets from the 30th place team in the AHL to the playoffs. If the season were two weeks longer I think he could have done it. The Comets were one of the lowest scoring teams in the league but with solid goaltending manged to finish 3 games above 500. Don't count Jochie out when it comes to making the NHL someday.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Eriksson struggled early on adjusting to the different angles of the North American rinks. After he figured things out he almost singlehandedly took the Comets from the 30th place team in the AHL to the playoffs. If the season were two weeks longer I think he could have done it. The Comets were one of the lowest scoring teams in the league but with solid goaltending manged to finish 3 games above 500. Don't count Jochie out when it comes to making the NHL someday.

Yeah, the whole team was a mess at the start there.

I wonder if Markstrom will clear waivers, and I wonder what happens with Cannata if he does.

I don't think Lack is getting traded unless someone makes a solid offer for him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Good organizational depth to have. No reason not to keep him around for another year. Not sure he's much more than that though.

Funny thinking back to the tone of this forum coming off his last college season, everyone going hog wild penciling him in to a big role in the NHL a few years down the line and stuff. :laugh: Guess things have cooled off a bit on him now that he's hit the Pros. It's a bigger jump than i think a lot of people really appreciate.

Still one of our best "late round picks" from the last...way too many years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad