Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Vasily Podkolzin to 2-Year, 1-Way Contract ($1M AAV)

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Podkolzin and Hoglander haven't had massively different production profiles in the AHL over full sample. Podkolzin 0.64 PPG versus Hoglander's 0.72 PPG, so effectively a 52-point versus 60-point pace.

Podz hasn't flashed nearly like Hoglander did early in the NHL, though.
I think a lot of it is just straight up confidence, one guy has the balls to try the Michigan during a game, the other guy gets down on himself and goes into an offensive slump after a couple of bad games. I also think Hog has naturally better offensive instincts, he knows where to go and can anticipate plays offensively.

Pod uses his speed/size to produce in the AHL but that's harder to do in the NHL

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think a lot of it is just straight up confidence, one guy has the balls to try the Michigan during a game, the other guy gets down on himself and goes into an offensive slump after a couple of bad games. I also think Hog has naturally better offensive instincts, he knows where to go and can anticipate plays offensively.

Pod uses his speed/size to produce in the AHL but that's harder to do in the NHL

Yeah eye-test tells a bit of a different story, I don't think Podz has near the vision or creativity Hoglander does with the puck.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I'm happy that the Pod experiment willl continue. He's a heart and soul kind of player who has some great physical tools. If he can just get some puck luck and build a bit of confidence I think he'll be capable of being a 10-20 goal scorer. He showed that in his rookie season and has just struggled to keep that up in the two seasons since.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Good deal...he seems to be 'getting it', even though we're not seeing any results on the scoresheet. (he has demonstrated that he has some offensive schtick in him in the past).

Really like the way that he's currently not shying away from any player (regardless of their size)..He's dead set on winning all his board battles.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Podkolzin should be able to fill the Lafferty type role next year with strong forechecking, defense and occasional scoring. He has a great shot, so could see him putting up a couple Cy Young seasons in his career.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Yeah eye-test tells a bit of a different story, I don't think Podz has near the vision or creativity Hoglander does with the puck.
Podz looks like a better passer than hog to my eyes. That sez he has decent vision out there, and Pod has a good shot that he never gets to use. I still can see him breaking out to be 30 ish goal scorer, similar to Hog. The tools are there waiting to be utilized.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Wouldn’t have supported this deal earlier this season, but he’s shown enough here that he understands his role in terms of positioning and how to be somewhat of a deterrent on the fourth line. Direct and physical. So even if that’s what he stays as, he’s a well liked guy who will play to his contract value.

Why? Unless you're completely giving up on the player, I don't see why you wouldn't have supported a 2 year bridge extension. I guess my question is what changed? We're still talking about a relatively young, fast skating, homegrown winger (i.e. familiar with the team and system) who has shown some promise in the NHL that has the skillset to play a bottom 6 role and the skill level to move up the lineup. He's also capable of producing offensively at the AHL level so if the team doesn't lose him to waivers, the team, at the very least, has a depth forward with a burried cap hit who like you said is a well liked player.

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Podz looks like a better passer than hog to my eyes. That sez he has decent vision out there, and Pod has a good shot that he never gets to use. I still can see him breaking out to be 30 ish goal scorer, similar to Hog. The tools are there waiting to be utilized.
That is incredibly unlikely. We should just be happy if he develops into an every day 3rd line option. A 15 goal 15 assist guy would be absolutely fine.

Reactions: vanuck and MS

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I've kind of resigned myself to him being a 3rd/4th liner at this point - but at least he's playing like an effective one.

If he manages to fulfill even a bit more of his potential - hell, even get back to where he was in his rookie season scoring 14 goals - he'll be a valuable piece, and at least not an altogether bust/washout.
I think he still have some untabbed offensive potential in him to be a decent middle 6 guy. He is pretty good at forechecking and has speed and size, he created a decent number of chances that his linemates hasn't been able to bury.

If he plays with better offensive players, I can see him having 40 points upside. Won't be a line driver, but a competent 3rd wheel on an offensive line shouldn't be out of the question for him.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He is primed to replace Lafferty as the 4th line pivot next year with higher potential to move up. Love this kid.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think he's got more than what we've seen offensively. I've liked the physical play and positioning.

Obviously, he's been a disappointment relative to his draft position. Hoglander vastly outperforming his spot makes it hurt less, but the fact remains that he was picked between Trevor Zegras and Matt Boldy.

Not ready to label him a bust yet. You saw how long it took Nichushkin to figure it out. Not saying he'll ever get there, either, but I'd even settle for half a Nichushkin at this point.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That is incredibly unlikely. We should just be happy if he develops into an every day 3rd line option. A 15 goal 15 assist guy would be absolutely fine.

Yeah, any top-6 potential has basically sailed on this player at this point.

If he can develop into a solid, physical 25-point bottom-6 forward ... I'll take that after how badly his development went off the rails in 2023.

Reactions: Petey O and Vector

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Clock is ticking. 2 points in 18 games is AHL level performance, even for a 4th liner.

Next season he will have to be able to contribute at least something offensively.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
even at his draft, it was pretty apparent he lacked hockey sense.

always questioned how this player had top 6 upside - even though he was the go to player for Russia in his age group.

The thing is, being a bottom 6 forward is not only hitting everything that moves. You need some hockey IQ . Defensive awareness, positioning, where to put pucks in pressure, how to forecheck, when to throw a hit to change momentum, etc..

Right now he's just 110 % effort, hustling and throwing hits, but shows a very immature game. He's far from even a decent bot 6 forward.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Imagine if the Canucks had picked Matt Boldy or Cole Caufield instead.... their forward group would be insane

Reactions: DFAC

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Imagine if they'd drafted Nylander instead of Virtanen; or Matthew Tkachuk instead of Juolevi; or Pastrnak instead of McCann; or Stankoven instead of Klimovich.....or, etc..etc. You could drive yourself crazy.
Goes both ways too, imagine no Hughes/Demko/Petey

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podkolzin is the probably the first young, 'cheap replacement' player from Abbotsford, who'll grace the Canucks lineup next season.

I think Bains, Sasson and Karlsson will be given long looks for bottom-six roles as well. Unfortunately the situation isn't as clear-cut on the blueline, where only McWard is likely the only candidate.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Hoglander and Podkolzin are completely different players and Hoglander has skills that are rarer to find in his peers. This isn't an indictment of Podkolzin, but you can see why he hasn't made an impression the the league while Hoglander has.

Reactions: Nucker101

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Said this for many years, it seems that Russian forwards need to stay in Russia to develop until they are 23/24. Those talented group of forwards drafted high in the first round that came early have all disappointed (Gurianov, Denisenko, Kravtsov, and Pods).

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Fair deal. I know he's going to be forever linked to his draft position, but that's so far in the past we should just ignore it and think of him as a home grown bottom 6'er that we hope can show some offensive flair from time to time.

For me personally any growth or improvement in his play will be seen as gravy, I like what he brings as a bottom 6 player, especially at this price.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad