Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Alexandre Grenier to 1-Year Deal

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Hope he gets a look next year. Good to see him signed.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
3 players signed from the 2011 draft. I only have hope for 1 in the NHL, the other 2 should at least provide AHL depth.

Yeah it doesn't look like it'll be Jensen. Too bad, I had higher hopes for him; but who knows, maybe he'll have a late developmental spurt.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Yeah it doesn't look like it'll be Jensen. Too bad, I had higher hopes for him; but who knows, maybe he'll have a late developmental spurt.

I looked past Jensen, 4 still within the organization but yeah it doesn't look great for Jensen. Surprising that there is now higher hope for Grenier then there is for the 1st round of that draft.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I looked past Jensen, 4 still within the organization but yeah it doesn't look great for Jensen. Surprising that there is now higher hope for Grenier then there is for the 1st round of that draft.

I am surprised by this development as well. Not because it can't happen, but because they are each essentially 'toolsy' 1way forwards with high upside, and a good amount of bust potential. They have similar strengths and weaknesses. Only, one kept developing, and the other withered away.

arsmaster*

Is there details on the terms?

So if Grenier gets NHL games, Gillis is a genius right?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Great to see Gernier continue to progress.
I don't think i gave him a single thought from the time he went to Europe till this yr's Calder cup playoff...

I think more than fair to say that this fall will be his last chance with this organization..
He's been given his mandate by Benning late last season (may 21st interview)... learn to play in the bottom 6 style of game in order to get to the next level...

it's a big summer for him.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

Having one draft pick from a single draft make your team four years later and two years after you have been fired does not a genius make, but I imagine that was you were indicating sarcastically.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Having one draft pick from a single draft make your team four years later and two years after you have been fired does not a genius make, but I imagine that was you were indicating sarcastically.

I agree with what Arsmaster is intending to say - I sincerely hope no one actually believes MG deserves accolades for Grenier's return from oblivion and subsequent upward development curve.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site

If Grenier gets a game or two that will be 3 player from that draft to get a cup of coffee in the big league. Corrado and Jensen being the other 2. Joseph Lebate and Blomstrom are also signed an in the organization. Getting 1 NHLer and a couple of looksees from a draft doesn't make it a good draft but it also keeps it from being a horrible draft.

Gillis didn't have a good drafting career but this wasn't he worst one.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
IGillis didn't have a good drafting career but this wasn't he worst one.

You're right - that would be 2010, though it remains to be seen what Patrick McNally will do now that he's signed with San Jose, and whether or not Alex Friesen (a good soldier in Utica) ever makes it to the NHL.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Sarcasm aside, wasn't Grenier drafted under the same strategy behind the Mallet pick? Grenier getting this if he can get some games in will show there was at least some success in it.

arsmaster*

I agree with what Arsmaster is intending to say - I sincerely hope no one actually believes MG deserves accolades for Grenier's return from oblivion and subsequent upward development curve.

But gillis drafted him. A gillis drafted player playing one NHL game improves his draft record, no?

Didn't gillis draft him with the intention he'd be a project with an upward development curve.

For me it doesn't make sense not to credit gillis with it.

arsmaster*

It's not my intention to degrade this convo.

Any cap number yet?

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
I am surprised by this development as well. Not because it can't happen, but because they are each essentially 'toolsy' 1way forwards with high upside, and a good amount of bust potential. They have similar strengths and weaknesses. Only, one kept developing, and the other withered away.

Grenier is two years older though.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
If Grenier gets a game or two that will be 3 player from that draft to get a cup of coffee in the big league. Corrado and Jensen being the other 2. Joseph Lebate and Blomstrom are also signed an in the organization. Getting 1 NHLer and a couple of looksees from a draft doesn't make it a good draft but it also keeps it from being a horrible draft.

Gillis didn't have a good drafting career but this wasn't he worst one.

Right now it's a toss up between 2008 and 2009. Connauton is the only player keeping 2009 from being a complete bust. Right now, I would say 2008 was worse, unless Hodgson can turn around his career. Unfortunately, the Gillis years were not the most horrible drafting years in recent history. It's difficult to do worse than Nonis in 2007. His only saviour from that draft from being completely abysmal was that White (or the second round compensatory pick that San Jose received for not signing him) was traded for Ehrhoff. Yet, Burke managed to do worse in 2000 and 2002 where he managed to effectively go 0-for both years as none of the players drafted in those years managed to get more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

arsmaster*

Right now it's a toss up between 2008 and 2009. Connauton is the only player keeping 2009 from being a complete bust. Right now, I would say 2008 was worse, unless Hodgson can turn around his career. Unfortunately, the Gillis years were not the most horrible drafting years in recent history. It's difficult to do worse than Nonis in 2007. His only saviour from that draft from being completely abysmal was that White (or the second round compensatory pick that San Jose received for not signing him) was traded for Ehrhoff. Yet, Burke managed to do worse in 2000 and 2002 where he managed to effectively go 0-for both years as none of the players drafted in those years managed to get more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

And the scouting staff remains largely unchanged.

It's why I don't think GM's should get as much credit for good and blame for bad as they tend to around here.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
But gillis drafted him. A gillis drafted player playing one NHL game improves his draft record, no?

Didn't gillis draft him with the intention he'd be a project with an upward development curve.

For me it doesn't make sense not to credit gillis with it.

So Gillis will move up to 29th in the league if Grenier plays 1 NHL game?

So yeah, he will have improved. From a sack of turd, to an utter joke.

Time to celebrate!

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
And the scouting staff remains largely unchanged.

It's why I don't think GM's should get as much credit for good and blame for bad as they tend to around here.

GMs get credit for the people they hire. Gillis gave it 1-2 too many years before he overhauled the scouting but in the end he made the change and should be credited for it IMO.

Time to celebrate!

Weird post considering he had a seemingly great draft in his final year, and his picks were either consensus or are actually projecting well. With the Hodgson pick the 2 picks were the 100% bust Beech or the 80% bust Hodgson. He overruled the incompetent scouting staff (who he later demoted the head of only to have him reinstated by Benning) to get Hodgson who he flipped for an upgrade.

This isn't a Benning thread anyway, but with a post like that I wonder what Gillis did to you to have you hate him so much you disregard how the scouting got better over time under his management.

Anyway, happy for Grenier and I hope he can make a splash this year. Think he's waiver eligible though so it looks like it could be sink or swim time for him, at least with this organization. Wouldn't be surprised to see a team take a shot on him if he has an okay camp but just can't quite crack the lineup, and he hits waivers

Maybe they traded Kassian to make way for Grenier.

Then maybe they should have waited to see if Grenier even makes the team first.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Time to celebrate!

We could easily get two NHL players out of the 2011 draft (Corrado and Grenier). Probably 1 from the 2012 draft and easily 2-3 from the 2013 draft.

Factor in the undrafted FAs in Tanev, Lack, and Kenins and all of sudden it doesn't look so bad.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Time to celebrate!
Hey it is another feather in Ron head of scouting Delorme's career. Don't take those away from him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We could easily get two NHL players out of the 2011 draft (Corrado and Grenier). Probably 1 from the 2012 draft and easily 2-3 from the 2013 draft.

Factor in the undrafted FAs in Tanev, Lack, and Kenins and all of sudden it doesn't look so bad.

And a bunch from the 14 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3