Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Jalen Chatfield to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Normally it wouldn't attract that much attention, a career minor leaguer signing a one-year extension. But Chatfield has inked a contract with the Canucks: $700,000 in the NHL and $125,000 in the AHL.

I guess significant only because Benning has been pumping his tires for most of the fall, and there were rumors that he was investigating opportunities overseas. But a one-year deal is not much of a 'ringing endorsement' when his Utica teammate Zack MacEwen got a two-year deal.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Imo there is zero chance, unless lots of injuries, this guy ever plays for us.

Reactions: bh53

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't know if chatfield is a career minor leaguer yet, but at 24 he's got one year.

i wonder why he gets $25k more than brisebois in the show.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I guess significant only because Benning has been pumping his tires for most of the fall, and there were rumors that he was investigating opportunities overseas. But a one-year deal is not much of a 'ringing endorsement' when his Utica teammate Zack MacEwen got a two-year deal.

Well MacEwen played 23 NHL games (including playoffs) last year. Chatfield played in practice.

What may be significant here is that Chatfield's AHL salary is relatively low. Sautner, in comparison, makes $200k in the minors. So maybe they do see Chatfield spending more time on the Canucks' practice roster.

Reactions: HankNDank

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So glad that Benning avoided this guy getting offer-sheeted.

Exactly. And people were critical of Benning for pumping his tires. Great work there. Heard the Flames were preparing an offer sheet.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Nobody has put up a thread to announce the signing of Tylet Graovac to a 2-way for 2020-21. I put it here since the signings followed one after the other. Chatfield on Wednwsday, the 9th and Graovac on Sunday, the 13th.

How does someone open a new thread? I would have done such to announce the Graovac signing, but I plead ignorance as to how to start one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norade

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
hfboards post new thread button.png
Nobody has put up a thread to announce the signing of Tylet Graovac to a 2-way for 2020-21. I put it here since the signings followed one after the other. Chatfield on Wednwsday, the 9th and Graovac on Sunday, the 13th.

How does someone open a new thread? I would have done such to announce the Graovac signing, but I plead ignorance as to how to start one.
hfboards post new thread button.png

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
After watching him for the last few years in Utica I'd say Chatfield has very questionable skill level. Hard worker and gets around ice ok (although pinches some times ill advised). Has been some improvement and maybe he can build off that. Often compared to Brisebois in terms of his place within the organization and fact Brisebois was signed earlier might indicate Canucks see Brisebois as little ahead of Chatfield although Benning's comments might belie that.

Personally, I rate Rafferty significantly better than either Brisebois or Chatfield

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After watching him for the last few years in Utica I'd say Chatfield has very questionable skill level. Hard worker and gets around ice ok (although pinches some times ill advised). Has been some improvement and maybe he can build off that. Often compared to Brisebois in terms of his place within the organization and fact Brisebois was signed earlier might indicate Canucks see Brisebois as little ahead of Chatfield although Benning's comments might belie that.

Personally, I rate Rafferty significantly better than either Brisebois or Chatfield
I agree....based on my limited viewing, a career minor leaguer. So what's the motivation behind Benning's claims that he's a 'cross between Tanev and Strecher'? Is he trying to include him in a trade or something?

I realize he's a right shot d-man, and they're in short supply. But if Chatfield makes the Vancouver Canucks even in a depth role, they're in more trouble than I thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad