Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Akito Hirose to 2-Year Deal ($775/350, $800K)

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I liked him last year, going by the eye test. But there was an article a bit ago that said his fancy stats weren't very good. Wasn't really any question he was getting re-signed. Expect he will start in Abby, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he becomes.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
I liked him last year, going by the eye test. But there was an article a bit ago that said his fancy stats weren't very good. Wasn't really any question he was getting re-signed. Expect he will start in Abby, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he becomes.

Without knowing what the stats are, I would still assume they are irrelevant due to sample size.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

The team got crushed when he was on the ice but that was in only ~100 minutes of ice time, so the sample size is not really meaningful. And he mostly played with Myers, which didn’t help.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I really liked Hirose when he had a cup of coffee with the Canucks last year. A very smart player, who seems to always make the safe easy play. Hirose has a excellent first pass and always seems to position himself to be available to receive passes. I really like him as a project defenseman who could possibly be developed into a nice lower pairing dman in the near future. I really like this signing, Hirose has potential.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Seems to play a pretty smart/calm game, but I question whether he can physically handle a full season grind. Everything I can find, says he's 170lbs - and he looks it. That's awful for a 24 year old, after 3 years of college hockey - where there was ample time to gain muscle. Guy played 7 games during garbage time and has the body of a teenager at 24 years old, I don't think he makes the big club this year, and if he doesn't add significant strength over the next year, he probably won't amount to much.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's a lot to like about Hirose's game---even though it was a limited sample size. But seems to me the Canucks are overloaded with sub 6-foot d-men.

I guess when you're as talented as Hughes, size doesn't matter. But for guys like Hirose and Rathbone--there's no doubt it's a concern going forward.

Best scenario for Hirose is that he plays big minutes in the AHL--to see how he handles the grind of pro hockey.

Reactions: MarkMM

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Without knowing what the stats are, I would still assume they are irrelevant due to sample size.

Also by the fact that he played excellently for a college free agent signing. Often the fancy stats are meaningless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad