Recalled/Assigned: Canucks re-assign F Nils Aman to Abbotsford, recall F Will Lockwood

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Good move he's been flailing around doing nothing for over a month

Lockwood should add some speed on the wings we could use and hopefully he finds a way to impact our dreadful PK.

Reactions: bh53 and Nucker101

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Moves as simple as this make me wonder if this is the team starting to prepare for next season.

With Hogs and Pods there already and according to the media not being looked to be moved back to the big club, is this keeping these young player down to give them high minutes and develop them for next year?

just a thought nothing to confirm or backup.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Moves as simple as this make me wonder if this is the team starting to prepare for next season.

With Hogs and Pods there already and according to the media not being looked to be moved back to the big club, is this keeping these young player down to give them high minutes and develop them for next year?

just a thought nothing to confirm or backup.

I wonder if they're giving Colliton extended time now with young players they're expecting him to be coaching in the NHL next season.

And also getting them the hell away from Boudreau.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I wonder if they're giving Colliton extended time now with young players they're expecting him to be coaching in the NHL next season.

I don’t think Colliton will be the head coach next season.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Haven't really noticed Aman at all in recent weeks. Not always a bad thing.. but might not be a good thing here either.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don’t think Colliton will be the head coach next season.

If he's not the heir apparent as the Head Coach (which I suspect he may well be), I could definitely see the Canucks promoting him to be an Assistant. I think they're high on his future.

Also, agree with MS; I think the Canucks are recognizing that the younger players are probably better served in the environment in Abbotsford, which seems quite positive and where they get playing time, rather than in Vancouver were the team seems a bit turbulent and Boudreau doesn't tend to give young guys much of a shot.

Of course, Lockwood falls into the young guy category - but he's earned a call up, and call ups should still be based on merit.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think it's over 50% that he will be. The organization clearly likes him a lot.
I don’t know, I think they will do a big ass search and interview a whole bunch of folks first.

If he's not the heir apparent as the Head Coach (which I suspect he may well be), I could definitely see the Canucks promoting him to be an Assistant. I think they're high on his future.

Also, agree with MS; I think the Canucks are recognizing that the younger players are probably better served in the environment in Abbotsford, which seems quite positive and where they get playing time, rather than in Vancouver were the team seems a bit turbulent and Boudreau doesn't tend to give young guys much of a shot.

Of course, Lockwood falls into the young guy category - but he's earned a call up, and call ups should still be based on merit.
Yeah I can see him being an assistant, that seems to be the more likely scenario. I think they are going to flush the coaching staff out at end of season.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I’m definitely ok with this. Lockwood deserved another shot after his last call up where he looked really good and got promptly sent down after.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
I like this move. Lockwood by all accounts has been playing great and looked good last year in his time up.

I also like that mgmt is sticking with their strategy to develop their players and isn’t afraid to send them back and forth. I recall the years where Hansen bounced between the minors and the NHL for awhile. Was great for his development.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

This is what I’ve been suspecting since he was hired. However, I think whoever next season’s coach is will reveal a lot about what results they expect. Colliton or a first-year coach like Gronborg should have tempered expectations with team cohesion and development as focuses. While Tocchet (gross) or Brunette should be geared towards wins and climbing the standings.

Reactions: racerjoe

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Praying that Pitt fires Mike Sullivan after this season and JR can convince him to come here.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't really understand what vancouver are doing with their young players. keeping dries and pederson up over better players like hoglander and podkolzin makes sense if you don't want promising young players exposed to whatever is going on with the nhl team. sending aman down makes sense if you are trying to ice your best lineup each night. bringing lockwood up doesn't make sense in either of those scenarios

i also think the canucks are going to be in tough to sign mcdonough and livingstone if they keep pursuing this 'leave good players in the ahl' strategy. if hoglander can't get nhl minutes are mcdonough and livingstone going to believe they're going to get nhl minutes?

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looks like an extended audition for Studnicka in the middle. ;Or maybe they bring Dries back from the press-box.

Aman was a nice story to start the season......but the reality is, his offense was almost non-existent and he was starting to get schooled in the faceoff dot.

Hopefully he can play in all situations down in Abby and get on the scoresheet. On the plus side, he's big and is a very good skater. And he's still only 23. Another young to develop in the AHL.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Looks like an extended audition for Studnicka in the middle. ;Or maybe they bring Dries back from the press-box.

Aman was a nice story to start the season......but the reality is, his offense was almost non-existent and he was starting to get schooled in the faceoff dot.

Hopefully he can play in all situations down in Abby and get on the scoresheet. On the plus side, he's big and is a very good skater. And he's still only 23. Another young to develop in the AHL.
Lazar can play center as well. I think the Dries experiment can end, he's got some decent skill but doesn't have the size/skating or defensive play to be a NHL'er at this point.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010

My thoughts also. The writing is on the wall for Bruce, and Abby is the best place for our younger players to develop. This was always my hope for the Abby Nucks, and something that was missing from our organization since the Manitoba Moose.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
My thoughts also. The writing is on the wall for Bruce, and Abby is the best place for our younger players to develop. This was always my hope for the Abby Nucks, and something that was missing from our organization since the Manitoba Moose.

I'm actually pretty happy with the strategy of sending Pod and Hog down to the farm for the above reasons. Canucks main team is a mess and no good was coming from those players being on the big club this year. At least new management chose their own guy to coach the AHL club who is aligned with a bigger picture.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The reality is, if the Abby Canucks can go on a run in the Calder Cup playoffs, it would be of far greater benefit to guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin, Aman, Karlsson, Woo, Klimovich, Rathbone or Silovs who would get to play big minutes in all situations.

Playing eight minutes a night or getting 'healthy scratched' every third game or so with the parent Canucks does nothing for their development.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Agree with the general sentiments here. Aman hasn't been able to develop any offensive game and lacks any physical game. Honestly think Lammikko's overall game was better.

Have to hope that what were seeing out of Lockwood can, this time, translate to the next level. For my money, he has been the best player in Abbotsford.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Lockwood was very good in his only other NHL game earlier in the season.

I like Aman but have found it increasingly confusing why he had played every game. Joining the others in the AHL is a sound strategy given how good it seems to be going there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad