Post-Game Talk: Canucks @ Rangers - 1/19/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
One of the best games, if not the best game, this team has played all season.

Hopefully something to build off of, a turning point of sorts. Girardi and McDonagh were great. Not one player with a negative shot differential. Rangers owned the puck tonight. What a game.

*Bob Richards*

"We need the points. We've got to show that Zed is not dead, you know?" - Zucc.

If they make the playoffs, the avi set has to be "Zed's Not Dead" or else this board will have failed everybody.

Absolutely. Make it happen, Rangers!

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Good win but let's see it more than a few times against good teams before getting too pumped up. VAN was real bad tonight.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
So happy we won, I was at the game as I promised to offer a change in mojo.

After the 2nd period, I felt hoplessness hit me...46 shots PLUS 5 shots off the post.
Nothing going for us against a team that we were just outplaying ridiculously.

Then Dancing Larry hit the screen and Zucc delivered and in OT we came through.

2 urgent points. Lets bring this team back forward to eliteness again

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Holy ****. lol

“@HartnettHockey: Apparently Zuccarello reads Brooksie. Zucc: "We need the points. We've got to show that Zed is not dead, you know?"â€

When I saw the article, I honestly was wondering whether Brooks wrote it on purpose to light a fire.

And then wondered, even if he wasn't trying to, whether it would light a fire or not. One would hope, if they saw it, that it would. But this team has been so nonchalant at times that who knows.

They played a ****** team tonight, and dominated them, as they should. Here is to hoping this is the turning point. But can only wait and see. Gotta keep it up.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
When I saw the article, I honestly was wondering whether Brooks wrote it on purpose to light a fire.

And then wondered, even if he wasn't trying to, whether it would light a fire or not. One would hope, if they saw it, that it would. But this team has been so nonchalant at times that who knows.

They played a ****** team tonight, and dominated them, as they should. Here is to hoping this is the turning point. But can only wait and see. Gotta keep it up.

I'll be honest, I thought the exact same thing.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Yandle had 23:33 in ice time tonight, thats second on the team by about 3 minutes. Staal limited to 14:47. Someone got AV's head on straight?

We weren't shorthanded that much tonight, which helped. Not that I want Staal playing only 14 minutes a night, especially if/when he finds his game, but I certainly hope that this breakdown of d ice time is consistent moving forward.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
JT's goal was our first 3-on-3 goal since Martin Rucinsky. That is not a name I thought I'd see today.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Great read, as usual! :yo:

You summed it up very well - it's a tough thing to gauge, when the team has a ton of chances and doesn't score. I think tonight was mostly a case of bad "puck luck." They hit so many posts (almost never is a shot off the post - especially the inside of the post - a reflection of an inaccurate shot), and Miller was absolutely outstanding. Against a normal goalie, and with some luck, they might have scored 6.

But there are plenty of games where the Rangers generate a ton of shots, even have a ton of high quality scoring chances, but actually fail on the execution rather than are victims of bad luck. In isolation - take the Dominic Moore chance off the post. He had a ton of time, a ton of room, and flubbed the shot. To me, that's not bad luck, that's poor execution. Execution is a skill in this case. Some players execute better than others. Some handle pressure better than others. I bet Toews or Kopitar or Benn score that goal 85% of the time. I bet Nash scores that goal 50% of the time. A guy like Kreider maybe only 25% of the time.

I'm not trying to pick on Moore or that one play, I'm just using it as an example. We've had games where we've had 50+ shot attempts, but most of our shots are straight into the goalie's chest, or we have a breakaway and miss the net (still a shot attempt, still a scoring chance, but we didn't become a victim to bad luck, our player executed poorly).

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Staal didn't suck tonight because was used properly for once.

He did make one of the single best passes to the other team you will ever see though. That was a glorious moment that made me laugh out loud. For some reason it was funny to me, probably because you have to be a gigantic masochist to be a Jets/Rangers fan.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Vancouver was pretty bad but the Rangers dominated them. JT Miller played the best game I've seen from him. I don't even remember the last game I remember Nash playing this well, reminds me of some his games against CBJ.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you had actually read my post in the other thread I clearly said he played a good game so I'm not sure what you're getting at

You also made a post where you said the defense was bad outside of McDonagh and Yandle, so its a little hard to figure out which opinion is the one to believe.

This conversation can be dropped though, I think we are all just happy that the team won this game and played well.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
One of the best games, if not the best game, this team has played all season.

Hopefully something to build off of, a turning point of sorts. Girardi and McDonagh were great. Not one player with a negative shot differential. Rangers owned the puck tonight. What a game.

Moore Staal Glass and Megna were all -1 :P

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yandle had 23:33 in ice time tonight, thats second on the team by about 3 minutes. Staal limited to 14:47. Someone got AV's head on straight?

I think its because AV was trying to put the best offensive lines and pairs on the ice with how much puck possession we had.

JT's goal was our first 3-on-3 goal since Martin Rucinsky. That is not a name I thought I'd see today.

Didn't Zucc score an OT goal earlier this season or was that not 3 on 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad