Confirmed with Link: Canucks qualify Baertschi, Clendenning, Corrado, Markstrom, Grenier

Philx

Aug 6, 2011
As far as I can tell, Webber and Stanton have not received QOs. Does anyone know if the Canucks plan to do so? Or why they would not? Sorry if this has already been addressed I couldn't find anything definitive on it.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
As far as I can tell, Webber and Stanton have not received QOs. Does anyone know if the Canucks plan to do so? Or why they would not? Sorry if this has already been addressed I couldn't find anything definitive on it.

As far as we know, they haven't received their qualifying offers (and neither have Vey and McMillan).

News1130 tweeted prior to that that Clendening, Corrado, Markstrom, and Baertschi had received qualifying offers.

It would be extremely foolish not to qualify them (excluding McMillan, he's useless). Stanton is an extremely cheap depth d-man, Weber is a bit more expensive but he still provided a good offensive punch from the back-end towards the end of the season, and Vey...well...Benning has invested too much into him to just let him go at this point even though he didn't produce much for the 2nd half of the season.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
As far as we know, they haven't received their qualifying offers (and neither have Vey and McMillan).

News1130 tweeted prior to that that Clendening, Corrado, Markstrom, and Baertschi had received qualifying offers.

It would be extremely foolish not to qualify them (excluding McMillan, he's useless). Stanton is an extremely cheap depth d-man, Weber is a bit more expensive but he still provided a good offensive punch from the back-end towards the end of the season, and Vey...well...Benning has invested too much into him to just let him go at this point even though he didn't produce much for the 2nd half of the season.

Interesting that these two groups are separated...sending a message? Those who are penciled in to a roster spot and those who aren't.
Also interesting to see Vey in the latter group...

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011

Wouldn't be surprised if Vey + Weber have already received QAs, but wasn't reported wilth all other trade/draft news going on.

Philx

Aug 6, 2011

Gotta agree with that particularly given Bieksa status. I can't believe that they don't have some kind of master plan if they don't qualify these guys but I am not sure I'm gonna like it.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Qualify everyone you can even if only to package them in a trade or just for depth. Except McMillan, sorry man you're not very good.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Why would we qualify McMillan?

We're pretty much overloaded at every F position and he's the most fringe NHLer we have. Let him walk and let Grenier/Kenins/Gaunce/Virtanen fight for that spot.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Weber contract negotiations will be interesting considering how much cap space is left (barring a trade) and how much Benning already paid Sbisa.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
they should at least qualify Weber to retain an asset.

Player can we worth picks to someone else at the very least.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
The Weber contract negotiations will be interesting considering how much cap space is left (barring a trade) and how much Benning already paid Sbisa.

Yes signing Sbisa, Dorsett and Miller are all long term ripple effects in the Canucks pond as is giving up a 2nd for Vey.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Yes signing Sbisa, Dorsett and Miller are all long term ripple effects in the Canucks pond as is giving up a 2nd for Vey.

It means there's a strong chance a vet (or two) will be moved out and replaced by a cheap alternative (eg., guys on a minimum or close to minimum wage contract). Whether said replacement player(s) can replace the vet(s) is the big question. We'll find out soon enough.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

The 2nd for vey stands out as a sore point for me. Baertschi is a steal, Vey we got robbed on.

And of the other 3, Miller's contract was atrocious. I could understand $4.3M without a NTC, but this???

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
This is getting interesting. A guy like Vey, there's no way he's going unqualified because they want him to sign a longer contract for less than his QO.. has the QO been missed or is he really on track to be let go?

Does someone on Canucks Twitter want to hit Botch up?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
IF he doesn't get qualified (maybe they're just making him sweat.. and a subsequent googling shows Vey makes 0.735m, I could see the team pressing him to take 2 years $1.4m or something - particularly given our cap situation)..

I would have pretty mixed feelings. On the one hand, what a waste of a pick. On the other.. it takes some big brass ones to walk away from that investment if you've concluded its not going to pay off. I respect that.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The 2nd for vey stands out as a sore point for me. Baertschi is a steal, Vey we got robbed on.

And of the other 3, Miller's contract was atrocious. I could understand $4.3M without a NTC, but this???

Baertschi isn't a steal at this point. If he comes in and plays well, sure but if he's accepting contract offers in Europe at this time next year because he couldn't crack the lineup it wasn't worth it. And we have to be honest the latter is more likely than the former.

Team wants to get younger etc etc....yet here we are and it might just be two under 27 year old D-men who can play in the NHL at some level (and a level above the guys who will be handed spots) may not be qualified. Awesome. Hopefully we hear more news on this.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad