Rumor: Canucks prospect and U of M Captain Jacob Truscott will be testing free agency- Will not sign with the Canucks

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
According to Dhaliwal,

Truscott will not be signing with the Canucks and will be a free agent in August.

The 4 year Senior D-man is the captain of the University of Michigan hockey team. He was a 5th round draft pick of the Canucks in the 2020 NHL draft.

Currently he has 13 pts in 28 games for U of M.

Turning 22 in April.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
will he be testing free agency from being his choice or the canucks choice.........

Canuck's GM was in Michigan last week trying to sign him so im guessing its Jacob's choice.

Dhaliwal mentioned that perhaps Jacob didnt see a quick path to the Canucks lineup since they drafted and signed a lot of recent Dmen out of the NCAA.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Not unsurprising. He probably would have to pass EP2 and Hirose before getting any NHL consideration in LD. Not to mention Hughes and Soucy are signed to term.

Wonder if he gets thrown into a TDL deal as minor asset.

Zobitembois

Devilsfanindisguise
Jan 25, 2011
4D chess move by the Canucks in order to lower his value making it more enticing for other teams to trade for him so Vancouver at least get something out of the deal rather than just letting Truscott go.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
4D chess move by the Canucks in order to lower his value making it more enticing for other teams to trade for him so Vancouver at least get something out of the deal rather than just letting Truscott go.
Why trade for him when he gets to be a free agent at 22? He’s probably not going to sign anywhere except where his mind is made up (Detroit is my guess).

Reactions: Szechwan

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He has zero value.

Youd be surprised.

Joni Jurmo was thrown in as part of the Lindholm Trade.

Jurmo is probably beer league material at this point.

Truscott was probably in the Canucks 10-12 in terms of prospect rankings, Jurmo was probably 25th if that.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Youd be surprised.

Truscott was probably in the Canucks 10-12 in terms of prospect rankings, Jurmo was probably 25th if that.
Canucks probably wanted to free up a contract spot and dumped Jurmo. i.e. Jurmo was negative value or no value.

The point is, no one cares about a nothing prospect.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I know nothing about him, but CBJ seems to be turning into a UM pipeline, wouldn't be surprised if guys like Fantilli/KJ tried to get him to sign here 😂

Reactions: Fro and Viqsi

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Why trade for him when he gets to be a free agent at 22? He’s probably not going to sign anywhere except where his mind is made up (Detroit is my guess).

Where he is unwanted and would be stuck behind even more prospects?

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Not unsurprising. He probably would have to pass EP2 and Hirose before getting any NHL consideration in LD. Not to mention Hughes and Soucy are signed to term.

Wonder if he gets thrown into a TDL deal as minor asset.
Hirose looked promising in his NHL debut last spring but hasn’t done a thing in the AHL this year that would indicate an NHL future. Also, Brisbois got concussed in the pre-season and hasn’t t played since so now our LD depth looks pretty thin. Basically he would have EP2 and maybe Cicek ahead of him in the minors and with Cole and Zaddy UFA’s this summer there is definitely an opportunity for LD with his skill set in Vancouver. Weird choice for him not to sign here.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Why wouldn't you test free agency if you're already close? I suppose if the Canucks are offering to sign you right away and you get some pro games this year that could be beneficial to your development. But if getting in 5-10 games this year at the pro level doesn't really matter to you, and you can take your pick of all 32 organizations to evaluate the best path for you to make the NHL, I would advise you do that. He sounds like a marginal longshot to make the league, so can't blame him.

I guess his "family advisor" better have a pretty good idea that there are other interested organizations.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Honestly if you're a third/fourth year NCAA player you may as well go the free agent route. Not really any drawbacks.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Youd be surprised.

Wheeler at The Athletic has Jurmo at 14th on the Flames prospect list.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad