Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm beginning to seriously wonder if Baertschi will even be a Canuck next season....missed 30 games with another concussion from an inconsequential hit, and now sent home after only one game of a road-trip. A real red flag that he isn't even deemed fit to travel with the team.

He has the rest of his life to worry about, not just his hockey career.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'm beginning to seriously wonder if Baertschi will even be a Canuck next season....missed 30 games with another concussion from an inconsequential hit, and now sent home after only one game of a road-trip. A real red flag that he isn't even deemed fit to travel with the team.

Baertschi is what he is at this point. When healthy, he is a half decent 2nd line player that produces at a 2nd line rate. The Baertschi trade was a small yet nice win for Benning.

Unfortunately, he is amongst a handful of Canuck players that continuously finds a way to get injured. It’s not his fault obviously, but the truth of the matter is that he does us no good when he’s injured. Same goes for guys like Sutter, Gudbranson, Edler, Tanev, etc.

You can create the best laid out plans possible but If your team is never healthy, then what?

My hope is as follows:

1) Goldobin is extended to a two year cap friendly deal.

2) If and when Dahlen is ready to step up, we explore the option of moving Baertschi if Baertschi continues to have health issues. Obviously, some of this would be contingent on whether Goldobin can successfully ascend to the next level.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He's a Tanev-lite, forward edition. An okay producing forward who can’t stay healthy and because of that isn’t a reliable piece moving forward. He’s 26 years old and hasn’t played over 70 games in a season. His career high is 35 points.

When healthy, isn’t a player that exactly moves the needle one way or another. He does well enough and shows flashes but just simply isn’t much special - for me anyways. He’s hovered around 30 points for three season prior to this one, and played under 70 games in all of those. He isn’t a piece for the future, and he should start thinking about his own personal future before he doesn’t have the ability to make his own personal future choices.

Whether he produces at a second line clip, or whatever your expectations for his production rate are, it doesn’t really matter. He is not a piece we should be relying on even a season or two from now.

It’s unfortunate but it’s the harsh reality. I would much rather strongly encourage him to think about retirement. How many knocks is he going to take to the head? When you’re concussion prone, sometimes you don’t even need to be hit to the head - a jarring hit could easily spark up symptoms again.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yeah, let’s trade a player right after he recovers from a concussion, that will do it!!!

That will do what? That poster isn’t wrong - Baertschi’s value dimishes by the day. He’s looking to be more injury prone than Tanev, whether injuries are his fault or not, it’s just how it is.

I’m not looking to push for a trade because I’m not even sure how valuable he is around the league - not sure I see any playoff teams knocking considering how rough and tough the playoffs are and how prone to concussions/injuries Baertschi has been.

I’d rather him take a step back and think about life ahead, he’s not even 30 years old yet. It’s not too late.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Looks like SB not doing well. Team won’t use the word concussion symptoms etc but what else could it be. They say “he’s not feeling well” but they sent him home with a week left on the trip and 3 games. If he wasn’t feeling well, common cold etc how do they know he wouldn’t be good to go in a few days? To be sent home with a week left is telling. I said it months ago, he’s in rough shape. 6 concussions and he had some terrible lingering symptoms on the last one. Time to hang them up and have a decent life post hockey.

And to think we should even believe the slightest thing this management says based on injuries is laughable.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
if he is sick, it would make complete sense to quarantine him from the team and send him to Vancouver.

They could have had him travel separate from the team if that was the case.

Sending him home implies something more significant.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Green didn't name concussion but he also didn't name anything else. If he had a flu or food poisoning that would keep him out for a few games so they sent him home then that would have been said. That everything was left vague and he was simply going to fly home (presumably when he felt well enough) would seem to indicate something is up and likely that they don't know what it is.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

Time to move on from him.I have been saying this for awhile..he is another hit from being on the shelf for a long time.
At 1 time we could be lucky to get maybe 20 goals out of him.now it's just lucky to get 20 games out of him in a row.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
If it's another concussion I'd say Baertschi's career is likely done. 6 concussions will take its toll, and I doubt he'll get medical clearance to play again.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Concussion prone is a ridiculous term to use yeah, because his head is much more attractive for hitters than normal people

Well the risk of getting another concussion after having one is increased (and the risk increases with each one), so I think prone to concussions could be applied to Baertschi. Now that is averaged over a population so for the individual that might not be the case. The science also suggests that some people are more susceptible to concussions and numerous factors are brought into play. I've seen everything form learning disabilities to neck strength to body type being linked to concussion rate.

The other thing to remember about concussions is that they don't actually need head contact.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Concussion prone is a ridiculous term to use yeah, because his head is much more attractive for hitters than normal people
Try doing some reading about multiple concussions. With every concussion the risk of serious long term issues goes up. Even what might be a very minor concussion in a player with no history of concussions can, and likely will, lead to more severe symptoms.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

What are you even talking about? It’s somehow better and good for him to keep taking knocks to the head? He/someone with multiple concussions doesn’t even need to take a hit to the head to cause a concussion.

We get you’re emotionally invested in this player, but what is your point other than being defensive about facts?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
What are you even talking about? It’s somehow better and good for him to keep taking knocks to the head? He/someone with multiple concussions doesn’t even need to take a hit to the head to cause a concussion.

We get you’re emotionally invested in this player, but what is your point other than being defensive about facts?
I’m getting defensive because we haven’t heard any report about him having another concussion or set back, yet posters here are saying he should retire.

Another overreacting

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
On IR. If he mangled his brain again he should probably just retire. Sucks to see these situations happen.

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018
The Baertschi trade was a small yet nice win for Benning.

I see it as another loss. A second round draft pick pissed away for another "age-gap" experiment who tops out at 35 points and doesn't play half the games. Given how wretched the Canucks are on the right side Rasmus Andersson looks like a decent piece to have. He would probably be the Canucks #2 D prospect at this point. Even if that wasn't who they targeted, I'd still rather have the lottery ticket.

Would you be pleased right now if the Canucks traded a second round draft pick for Sven Baertschi? Or traded our #1 right side D prospect for Sven Baertschi? I think the forum would lose its mind.

The Canucks have been the worst team in the NHL since his arrival, so how was it a win? Call me an optimist, but I think we could have done that without him.

Statistically, forwards peak by the age of 24. Baertschi would have been a piece to grab as a depth forward for a playoff team weak on the left wing (probably what Benning thought we were when he made the move). In a complete Vacuum, where you're evaluating who won the trade immediately, I agree it was a "small win." But in the context of the rebuild timeline? I wouldn't say so. He'll either be retired (which I would recommend to him at this point, for the sake of his wife and child) or well into decline by the time the team is competitive. If his peak is 35 points, then when his offensive abilities decline he'll likely no longer be a useful component (he's soft and doesn't grind).

"Scores at a second line pace - when in the lineup" is a pretty big qualifying statement when he's injured half the year and Tim Schaller is the substitution.

To clarify, I don't think he's terrible, I just don't think the move made sense. I didn't hate the re-signing either, but he never seemed like part of the long-term solution. A right-handed D prospect drafted in the second round, who will turn 25 when Sven turns 30, seems far more in line with the timeline of our rebuild. The team has no prospects for that position. But we all know when this move was made the word "rebuild" was strictly forbidden by the organization. This was a "Re-Tool" move... We know how that turned out.

Benning is the type who would run around a restaurant asking strangers if he can eat their leftovers, then blame the subsequent illness on the seasonal flu. I hope, for our sake, that he has finally learned his lesson. The draft being in Vancouver may be the only thing saving us from more "Smart Hockey Trades" this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: PM

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I’m getting defensive because we haven’t heard any report about him having another concussion or set back, yet posters here are saying he should retire.

Another overreacting

I don't care if this recent injury is concussion related or not, he is concussion prone and should be thinking about his future before his life is completely altered into something he doesn't want it to be like.

Baertschi played in the last minute of the game against Colorado, didn't play last night because he wasn't feeling well. He's now visiting team doctors...he is just fresh off battling severe concussion symptoms. He wasn't feeling well enough to even travel the other day.

“We don’t know that yet and I don’t want to speculate until he sees the doctor and we know exactly what’s going on,” said Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “He just wasn’t feeling right and we’re just in the preliminary stages of finding out (why).

Ben Kuzma: Baertschi ‘not feeling right’, leaves team to see doctor in Vancouver

What do you think this about? It's not seeming like that is the case, as everyone is highly confused as how he played a game and then all of a sudden is now sick. Travis Green can say whatever the hell he wants, he is not a doctor or anywhere near educated on concussions because everyone is still learning on the subject. Green saying it's not a concussion outright, was pretty stupid.

Baertschi has had five concussions already, and it's likely something has triggered some symptoms as concussions can make you feel sick. Whether it is a concussion right now or not, is besides the point because he is incredibly vulnerable to them at this point. If it hasn't already happened, it will happen soon enough. I'd love for it to just be a stomach flu, but this is a weird situation involving a player who missed 30 games this year, and has a long history of concussions.

He's now on IR. Again.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
On IR. If he mangled his brain again he should probably just retire. Sucks to see these situations happen.

Baertschi should play hockey until he hits 10 concussions because apparently 5 or 6 isn't enough to conclude you're concussion prone and should probably think about the life ahead of you.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I don't care if this recent injury is concussion related or not, he is concussion prone and should be thinking about his future before his life is completely altered into something he doesn't want it to be like.

Baertschi played in the last minute of the game against Colorado, didn't play last night because he wasn't feeling well. He's now visiting team doctors...he is just fresh off battling severe concussion symptoms. He wasn't feeling well enough to even travel the other day.

Ben Kuzma: Baertschi ‘not feeling right’, leaves team to see doctor in Vancouver

What do you think this about? It's not seeming like that is the case, as everyone is highly confused as how he played a game and then all of a sudden is now sick. Travis Green can say whatever the hell he wants, he is not a doctor or anywhere near educated on concussions because everyone is still learning on the subject. Green saying it's not a concussion outright, was pretty stupid.

Baertschi has had five concussions already, and it's likely something has triggered some symptoms as concussions can make you feel sick. Whether it is a concussion right now or not, is besides the point because he is incredibly vulnerable to them at this point. If it hasn't already happened, it will happen soon enough. I'd love for it to just be a stomach flu, but this is a weird situation involving a player who missed 30 games this year, and has a long history of concussions.

He's now on IR. Again.
Fine then, he’s now on IR. Guess he is concussed again

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm going to be Mr. Glas half empty here and say his career in the NHL is coming to an end. At 26 he can't keep having his egg scrambled without serious repercussions. At some point he's going to have to decide how he wants his life after hockey to be. I'm not optimistic about his future. It likely won't come to a crashing end any time soon but I suspect it's likely on the downward turn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad