Rumor: Canucks on the verge of signing Elias Pettersson for eight years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
i still have a hard time figuring out what's going on

my best guess is pettersson was actually undecided about whether he wants to stay or not and wanted to hold off on making that decision? management isn't comfortable with risking he elects arbitration and walks in a year so they force his hand? i dunno if this is a positive for getting him signed but at least we'll get clarity relatively soon

If I had to guess, Pettersson still has a lot of reservations because of what happened after our covid bubble run. I don't get the impression he doesn't want to sign but rather is worried if we go on a run only to then let everyone walk again but now he's stuck.

We do have a lot of UFAs. And even Hronek is not a full on guarantee if he starts playing hardball. So I really couldn't fault Petey if my assumption turned out correct.

While not confirmed per se, it's well substantiated he was pissed that Benning allowed Tanev and Toffoli to walk. Hell, the whole team was but Pettersson went on to have the worst season of his career that year. So... it definitely affected him.

If this is the case, he probably wanted to ride out the post season, see what management did then sign if he liked the direction. What he didn't count on is how relentless the media would get.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
That's the one.

That's the one. Is he at least superficially similar to the guy you were referencing from late sportspage or am I confusing myself?

yeah i think so, insofar as they both are in the genre of delusionally self-confident white guys whose confidence seems to come solely from the fact that they are white guys

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, he always pouts when a play doesn't go his way and then gives up on it. The coaches should be trying to work this out of him, but perhaps they've already tried. It's a terrible trait to have as a star player, and he needs to smarten the **** up.

This seems to come and go with him. Last year there were times where he’d give the puck away and then work like hell to get it back. But that kind of effort hasn’t been there for the most part this year.

Reactions: PavelBure10

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
At this stage they may be deciding between getting him signed or moving him by the deadline. If he signs, great. If he doesn’t, it’s because he chose not to, and if you’re in management’s shoes I’m not sure you can risk waiting to the offseason when you have no leverage because every team knows you tried to sign him but failed and he can set himself up to walk in a year.
Exactly

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
If I had to guess, Pettersson still has a lot of reservations because of what happened after our covid bubble run. I don't get the impression he doesn't want to sign but rather is worried if we go on a run only to then let everyone walk again but now he's stuck.

We do have a lot of UFAs. And even Hronek is not a full on guarantee if he starts playing hardball. So I really couldn't fault Petey if my assumption turned out correct.

While not confirmed per se, it's well substantiated he was pissed that Benning allowed Tanev and Toffoli to walk. Hell, the whole team was but Pettersson went on to have the worst season of his career that year. So... it definitely affected him.

If this is the case, he probably wanted to ride out the post season, see what management did then sign if he liked the direction. What he didn't count on is how relentless the media would get.
What's Petey's long term plan here? Keep signing 1 year contracts? There's going to be UFAs every year, cap casualties every summer, trades, drafts, retirements, etc. lots goes into putting a team every year, and depending on the teams situation, things can change on a yearly basis.

Does he plan on re-evaluating after every season and see what management do?

Does he think letting UFAs walk is only a Canucks-thing?

Does he think that bad-GMs only exist in Vancouver, and if he goes somewhere it will always be great so he can commit long term?

I'm not sure what it is that he really want, does he want to be GM too? Might as well, then he will always know the team will do what he wants.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
This management group is hitting it out of the park! A masterful job of taking the leverage away from EP.

and honestly... I think they would've traded him. This is them planning on how to win a cup in Van and they need to know what Pettersson future is and what the number is to build the teams future. Really impressed with the management team.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I'm surprised this thread is still so active since it seems like nothing has actually happened haha

Not that we have much else to talk about or celebrate rn

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This management group is hitting it out of the park! A masterful job of taking the leverage away from EP.

Leverage is the same. Petey can become a UFA in a year and the Canucks can trade him to any team they want. Ultimately Petey controls his own destiny albeit not this year nor next year.

What's Petey's long term plan here? Keep signing 1 year contracts? There's going to be UFAs every year, cap casualties every summer, trades, drafts, retirements, etc. lots goes into putting a team every year, and depending on the teams situation, things can change on a yearly basis.

Petey doesn’t need to sign any 1 year contract(s) (especially in the plural). If he only picks a handful of teams he’s willing to sign a long term contract with that handcuffs the team. In the meantime, Petey can elect arbitration guaranteeing him a raise and becoming a UFA in a year. The Canucks can also elect arbitration.

Regardless, the Canucks can trade him to any team Canucks want.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Tocchet told Petey he needs a couple of Stanley Cup rings to block out the noise.
Lol, just imagine:

Petey: "Hey coach, all this talk about my contract is getting unbearable, how've you dealt with such things in the past"

Tocchet: says nothing, then gives Petey a dead ass stare and sticks a stanley cup ring in each ear.

Petey:

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Lol, just imagine:

Petey: "Hey coach, all this talk about my contract is getting unbearable, how've you dealt with such things in the past"

Tocchet: says nothing, then gives Petey a dead ass stare and sticks a stanley cup ring in each ear.

Petey:

Hey, it worked for Patrick Roy

Reactions: Flik

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Very interesting:

Notes:
- Pettersson is ready to sign a contract.
- Length of deal uncertain.
- Team offered $12m/8Year.
- Pettersson wants 5 years or under, but doesn't want the $12m AAV to change.
- Doug McLean scoffs at the bluff play re: CAR. Brisson and Barry would never fall for it.
- Apparently, animosity within the group. Pettersson mad at Quinn and Hronek??
- MacLean says that if it's as close as a 3 year difference, it will get done.
- Pettersson may wants the 5 years because of the Matthews treatment.
- 3 years difference matters a great deal to the Canucks.
- Brisson has to be realistic and take the 8 year deal.
- Canucks have never been a good team for a number of years, so 1st round will be a test.

As someone who is no stranger to tougher negotiations, I'm not surprised the Brisson/Pettersson camp took the Canucks' best number and are angling for term. Forget the bluff, the Canucks already gave up their max AAV, now test them for weakness elsewhere.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

I keep seeing this sentiment, and my response is: Good on management IF he signs a long term deal. If he doesn't, they may have played this card and made it public which might be an additional reason for him to move on. I want to wait until he actually signs before celebrating

Reactions: theguardianII

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

I also think he doesn't like Aquilini.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Very interesting:

Notes:
- Doug McLean scoffs at the bluff play re: CAR. Brisson and Barry would never fall for it.
- Canucks have never been a good team for a number of years, so 1st round will be a test.

As someone who is no stranger to tougher negotiations, I'm not surprised the Brisson/Pettersson camp took the Canucks' best number and are angling for term. Forget the bluff, the Canucks already gave up their max AAV, now test them for weakness elsewhere.
6 years would be better than 5. Also why tf would Petey be mad at Quinn and Hronek? Hughes literally said Petey is his best friend earlier this week. Such BS

Reactions: quat

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Very interesting:

Notes:

To me, there are questions and concerns to be explored and this type of thing makes a lot of sense. I am sure some of it is close and some way off, but there is more than just a let's get it done perspective here. Thanks for sharing. I really hope the Petey being mad at Quinn thing isn't real- that would suck!!! And it doesnt make sense. But Petey seems like he can be a sulky kind of dude. Hope he grows up in Vancouver and becomes a great team mate and hall of fame right here.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
If this is becoming this gritty and you arent getting what you are comfortable with move the asset. Run your business

Mad at other olayers? Why cause they said sign the f***en deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad