Pre-Game Talk: Canucks Offseason Begins - Expectations?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The Canucks season is over, I would love to hear what peoples expectations are going into the off-season, into the draft, and more!

I’ll update my thoughts in a bit

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I think they try to move salary but have trouble doing so and likely comeback with a lot of the same anchors. One of Garland or Boeser is probably moved and that’s it.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Here in my opinion are the keys to the off-season.

- Absolutely figure out a way to trade 1 or 2 of Brock Boeser and or Garland.
- Make a tough decision, and trade or buyout OEL / Tyler Myers
- Sign or trade for a third line centre
- Find a legitimate partner for Quinn Hughes (Hronik imo runs the 2nd pairing)

I would be pretty satisfied if this is all we accomplished

Last edited:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Well I think Garland and Boeser did a good job making themselves positive assets again so there is that
Hirose may have made an OEL buyout more plausable
11th overall seems like a bit of a kick in the teeth but hopefully Dvorsky, Reinbacher, Moore or Danielsson will be available with that pick
I think Miller did a really good job establishing that he isnt only a 2C but could be a 1C if a team has an injury.

Disappointed in the lack of development by Podz and Hoglander. But Woo and Johansson have been pleasant surprises
We really should invest in a solid NHL backup. Martin isnt the answer and Silovs should spend a majority of next year in the AHL learning to be a starter

Im imparcal about if we keep Miller or trade him. But I think whatever decision is made on him will decide the future direction of this team. If he stay its obvious we are gunning to be a playoff team. If he is trade the team is trying to take a step back to improve in other areas. I think either way this team could still be a Wild card team. Its just if Miller is traded the road to making a WC spot involves a lot of things going right during the season

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Expecting a shit ton of trades.

They have been reluctant to attach assets to trade Myers, Garland and Boeser so I am expecting them to get assets back for them.

Praying for OEL buyout.

Have a feeling they might trade away Miller before the draft.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
With our prospect pool being insanely weak
&
This owners penchant to rush everything

Wouldn’t surprised for see them take part in more free agency shenanigans which is just paying high prices for average players only for seasons to keep unfolding the exact same with no direction.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They're in tough.

The bare minimum is converting Myers and Boeser into a legitimate 3c and top four D. Doing that with - let's say compher and Gavrikov - gives them zero space after. That would basically be it with only space for minor moves on the outside of that.

It's pretty simple - either they prove to be geniuses and this all makes sense or we flounder in mediocrity.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan and Vector

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
If there’s a trade to be had with Pittsburgh for Miller, it must be nothing short than the rumoured 2 1st round picks, otherwise, keep Miller.

Boeser, Myers, Garland MUST be dealt. Retain if you have to, we need to create cap space.

OEL being bought out is something they should consider. We must rid ourselves with whatever stench Benning has left on this putrid roster.

In addition, I expect us to shop around our 11th pick for a 21-24 y/o core piece, preferably RHD, LHD, or 1st line LW. No reason in half assing this retool. Either you’re sure you get the player you want at 11, or move it. I see no point in trading down to acquire less favourable draft spots.

Lastly, find a defensive 3C and without breaking the bank, a capable LHD to play with Hronek.

Management has their work cut out for them. If they don’t do jack shit this summer, I won’t even bother watching a single game next season.

Reactions: dwarf and credulous

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If there’s a trade to be had with Pittsburgh for Miller, it must be nothing short than the rumoured 2 1st round picks, otherwise, keep Miller.
I dont think they can trade Miller for futures.

They are locked in to compete next season. After that their money gets really difficult.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
keep:

pettersson, hughes, kuzmenko, hronek, mikheyev, joshua

trade if you can get good value:

miller, demko

hope they can step up and be useful full time nhlers:

podkolzin, hoglander, hirose

dump:

myers, boeser, kravtsov

try to upgrade but hold onto if you cant:

beauvillier, garland, bear, aman, studnicka, burroughs, dries, pdg, wolanin

tolerate because he isn't going anywhere:

oel

basically they need to clear 15-20m in cap and turn over 40-50% of the roster. key additions need to be a top line winger (or a center sufficiently good miller can be moved to wing), center depth and a top four d pairing

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

They are locked in to compete next season. After that their money gets really difficult.
I absolutely think they can given how barren the free agent pool is, and the sheer lack of talented two-way (when he's on his game) players with bite in the league.

I think this recent stretch under Tocchet is his best as a canuck. I never bought the mirage under Bruce at C, but he looked genuinely good at C under Tocchet. And everyone knows he's a sure-fire top line winger.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I absolutely think they can given how barren the free agent pool is, and the sheer lack of talented two-way (when he's on his game) players with bite in the league.

I think this recent stretch under Tocchet is his best as a canuck. I never bought the mirage under Bruce at C, but he looked genuinely good at C under Tocchet. And everyone knows he's a sure-fire top line winger.
I dont mean someone wont give futures for him.

I mean trading him for futures makes no sense in the situation they've put them selves in.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Im not expecting too much.

I doubt there will be any takers for Myers, and I don't think the team is keen on trading Boeser. If they do make a move on Boeser, I expect it to be at the TDL next season. I think Tocchet wants him in the lineup and to really bust his ass over the offseason. I think you can see early signs of who Tocchet wants to have in his group next year and who he isn't all that attached to.

They could flip Beauvillier or Garland. I'll guess Beauvillier since Garland has played better up and down the lineup and Beauvilliers only real productive spot (next to Pettersson) is going to be taken by Mikheyev when he returns.

OEL will be on the team next season. I think a buyout is possible, but only after next year. I think they want to give him one more year to play as healthy as he can next to Hronek. They wont want to run a left side as green as Hughes/Hirose/Wolanin next year, and I'm unsure on how much they're going to pursue Gavrikov if they cant get any sort of savings on cap.

A 3C is probably a bigger need than Gavrikov at the moment. Compher would be cool.
-Beauvillier +Compher gives us for next season:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Mikheyev
Flex-Miller-Boeser
Flex-Compher-Garland
Joshua-Aman-McDonough
Flex Pool (These spots go to whoever wins them, by depth):
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Bains
Arseneau

Hughes-Bear
OEL-Hronek
Hirose-Myers (puke)
Wolanin/Burroughs

Demko
Delia

This team is probably good enough, pending moves being made depending on where the team is at when the TDL comes. As long as the team gets decent production with a better PK/Goaltending they'll make the ploffs. Draft BPA at wherever we pick. Also... Do Poolman, Pearson, and Dermott ever play hockey again?? Lots of mysteries waiting to be solved!!

Last edited:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I dont mean someone wont give futures for him.

I mean trading him for futures makes no sense in the situation they've put them selves in.
I guarentee some team will give futures for Miller. But I would think Rutherford will look at the Horvat trade as a framework for a Miller trade. Just upgrade Raty to a Young NHL C and add a 1st round pick

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Will be judging this mgt group based on this upcoming season.
If they can move out some deadcap without giving up a lot of futures & actually retool I’ll be ecstatic

Reactions: dwarf

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think there's severaly things that need to get done in order to have a successful offseason. Ultimately, last one was disappointing and all they have done is push the problem down the line.

Here's what I think needs to happen in order.

1) Make a decision on if Miller is part of the future. This has to be done around the draft. Based on reporting, it sounds like they will consider a trade if they can turn some of the acquired assets into a young and cheaper repacelement. While the offense would take a step back, this would provide immediate, and future, cap flexibility.

2) One of Boeser, Garland, and Beauvillier needs to be moved. I don't particularly care which is gone although I lean towards getting Boeser. Each have their positives and negatives that severely alter their asset value. Far too much cap space and roster spots are allocated to the wings on high priced contracts. Kuzmenko and Mikheyev will on the roster and having any of these three on the third line is terrible use of cap space.

3) OEL and/or Myers must be jettisoned from the roster. This isn't even due to cap reasons. Both had attrocious seasons and moving off of them is addition by subtraction. For OEL the only two ways off of his contract are a painful buyout or get "lucky" that his injury is worse than expected. Myers trade value is all kinds of strange to pinpoint. I think Myers will be much easier to move and using a retention slot wouldn't be burdensome.

4) Use the newfound capspace to find solutions on defence and centre. Whether this is leveraging that space to get assets from capped out teams or signing free agents, I don't really care. Long-term or short-term both can be fine. In order to ice an actual playoff team, at least one top-4 defencemen needs to be added and a 3rd line centre. These are anchor positions.

5) Create roster competition. Roster spots need to be opened up so training camp can have an environment where the players can actually have a chance at making the team. This goes for forwards and defence. Aman, Podkozlin, di Giuseppe, Hoglander, Dries, (if they are around) Studnicka & Kravtsov, and the AHL youngsters (McDonough, Bains, Karlsson, etc.) should all be battling for about 3-4 roster spots. The same goes for the bottom defensive spots: Wolanin, Hirose, Brisebois, and possibly Juulsen, McWard, and Johansson.

Then there's a bunch of things that have to happen no matter what; sorting out what to do with Bear. Determining the back-up goalie. I'm less concerned about those as they have to get them done regardless.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Hmmm, they could if they have a subsequent trade lined up for a 2C. They'll just use the picks like an ATM to get another player they want.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think there's severaly things that need to get done in order to have a successful offseason. Ultimately, last one was disappointing and all they have done is push the problem down the line.

Here's what I think needs to happen in order.

1) Make a decision on if Miller is part of the future. This has to be done around the draft. Based on reporting, it sounds like they will consider a trade if they can turn some of the acquired assets into a young and cheaper repacelement. While the offense would take a step back, this would provide immediate, and future, cap flexibility.

2) One of Boeser, Garland, and Beauvillier needs to be moved. I don't particularly care which is gone although I lean towards getting Boeser. Each have their positives and negatives that severely alter their asset value. Far too much cap space and roster spots are allocated to the wings on high priced contracts. Kuzmenko and Mikheyev will on the roster and having any of these three on the third line is terrible use of cap space.

3) OEL and/or Myers must be jettisoned from the roster. This isn't even due to cap reasons. Both had attrocious seasons and moving off of them is addition by subtraction. For OEL the only two ways off of his contract are a painful buyout or get "lucky" that his injury is worse than expected. Myers trade value is all kinds of strange to pinpoint. I think Myers will be much easier to move and using a retention slot wouldn't be burdensome.

4) Use the newfound capspace to find solutions on defence and centre. Whether this is leveraging that space to get assets from capped out teams or signing free agents, I don't really care. Long-term or short-term both can be fine. In order to ice an actual playoff team, at least one top-4 defencemen needs to be added and a 3rd line centre. These are anchor positions.

5) Create roster competition. Roster spots need to be opened up so training camp can have an environment where the players can actually have a chance at making the team. This goes for forwards and defence. Aman, Podkozlin, di Giuseppe, Hoglander, Dries, (if they are around) Studnicka & Kravtsov, and the AHL youngsters (McDonough, Bains, Karlsson, etc.) should all be battling for about 3-4 roster spots. The same goes for the bottom defensive spots: Wolanin, Hirose, Brisebois, and possibly Juulsen, McWard, and Johansson.

Then there's a bunch of things that have to happen no matter what; sorting out what to do with Bear. Determining the back-up goalie. I'm less concerned aobut those as they have to get dealt with.

I would agree with just about everything, if I can see any of these things happening.

My faith in Alv and Moleman have been...basically stomped this season.

So instead of agreeing with you let's just put my level of expectation at "nothing".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad