Rumor: Canucks not giving a contract offer to Chris Tanev

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Thanks, Chris you will be missed but it's probably for the best for the Canucks. Sometimes it's best to say goodbye early then to keep someone stay too long.

Last edited:

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
It’ll hurt in the short term but long term it’s the right play unless he signs a 2 year deal.

Reactions: Johnsie19

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Nothing but respect for Tanev and the game he plays. He has been a warrior for the Canucks for ten years and I am happy to see him (hopefully) get paid.

Moving on from him is the right decision. He is too risky to commit to a long term contract at this point.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Nothing but respect for Tanev and the game he plays. He has been a warrior for the Canucks for ten years and I am happy to see him (hopefully) get paid.

Moving on from him is the right decision. He is too risky to commit to a long term contract at this point.

Especially for a young team like the Canucks. Who already have a ton of bad contracts they are close to clearing.

But for the Pens, they dont care as much about the back end of the contract if it was 4 x 4 as an example. Its more about these next two seasons and having the best lineup possible so we can get another cup out of the Sid/Geno era.

Dumo - Letang
Matheson - Marino
Pettersson - Tanev

Would not only be much better than what we had last year but could end up being a very good D. Obviously some question marks with players needing to stay healthy but same can be said for most teams.

Would be the best D we have had in awhile.

Then...

Guentzel - Crosby - Kapanen
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Poulin - McCann - Trade
Tanev - Blueger - Sceviour
Lafferty

Bottom 6 can be improved during the season when cap space isnt as big of a deal. But that top 6 will be great. If Poulin can breakout the way Guentzel/Rust did during our cup runs then that gives us skill for our 3rd line to go with McCann and possibly another addition thru trade. Allowing the 4th line to be Tanev -Blueger - Sceviour.

Reactions: CanuckCity

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Tough loss, but it's the right move for the Canucks. Hopefully he gets a nice contract in free agency.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Hardly surprising given our cap situation that we have to let Tanev go but it’s going to be tough to replace his minutes.
We’re already one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to giving up high quality scoring chances,I guess Benning is gunning to be number one next year.
Also,Markstrom likely won’t be there to save the day,either.Gonna be an interesting season.

Reactions: Devonator

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Tanev will probably be one of the most underrated Canucks Dmen. Love the guy but can't justify the contract he will get and I imagine he won't live up to it.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I’d love to keep him on a short term deal. Just isn’t the type of player you hand a long term deal now that he’s entering his 30s with lots of wear and tear On his body.

skating is starting to slip a bit the past year or two and his body isn’t going to age well with all the shots he blocks.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Right move for the Canucks to not offer the real he’s likely gonna get, but he’ll be tough to replace.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Hardly surprising given our cap situation that we have to let Tanev go but it’s going to be tough to replace his minutes.
We’re already one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to giving up high quality scoring chances,I guess Benning is gunning to be number one next year.
Also,Markstrom likely won’t be there to save the day,either.Gonna be an interesting season.

so were already one of the worst teams giving up high quality chances but you want to keep things the same with Tanev?

Maybe what we need are more 2 way Dmen or puck movers so that were not playing defence all night long.

Love Tanev and id gladly bring him back for short term at around 4 mil a season but theres no way i give him anything longer than 3/4 years.

Its funny because Canuck nation was up in arms the last few trade deadlines for not trading Tanev for even a bag of chips because he was always so injured, now some fans want to give him a long term contract because he had 1 healthy season in a shortned season with a 4 month break in between.

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
I like Tanevs game, solid defensively but can still pass the puck out of the zone. Good character as well but the injuries over the years would make me leery of anything more than 2 years. I hope he gets his term because he deserves it but I wouldn't do more than 2 if I was a GM.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Benning better have some plan in place, or else he should get canned. Canucks are going to face the consequences, and we are likely to take a huge step back next season. I thought we have at least one of toffoli Tanev and Markstrom right now we have nothing.

good luck chris, always be your fan. Vancouver is going to miss you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad