Rumor: Canucks not giving a contract offer to Chris Tanev

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
All the best to Tanev, hope he gets paid! He deserves it, has been an absoloute warrior for the Canucks over the last decade.

Whoever gets him will get a pure shutdown Dman who loves to block shots and is very positionally solid.

Rumors out there are he will be able to get a 4 yr or longer term from a team if he hits free agency. That will be a huge gamble. There is a lot of miles and aches and pains and broken bones on that body.

I think the biggest reason the Canucks are walking away from him is his lack of durability.

However if a team signs him and catches lightning in a bottle and has a healthy Tanev during a playoff run then they will reap the benefits. Thats a huge however though. 31 yrs old this year, over 100 games missed in the last 5 seasons

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Tough situation for the Nucks here.

Obviously a key player but if he wants a certain amount of years, I'd be extremely reluctant too.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
After 4000 rejected trade proposals it could finally be time for Tanev to Toronto. Lol

But really I could see Pittsburg as a fit here. They have his brother and could use a RHD

The Tanev-Rielly pairing in the World Championships that one year for Canada was absoloutely DOMINANT!

I believe they had a crazy stat like 0 goals allowed even stength when the pairing was on the ice.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
All the best to Tanev, hope he gets paid! He deserves it, has been an absoloute warrior for the Canucks over the last decade.

Whoever gets him will get a pure shutdown Dman who loves to block shots and is very positionally solid.

Rumors out there are he will be able to get a 4 yr or longer term from a team if he hits free agency. That will be a huge gamble. There is a lot of miles and aches and pains and broken bones on that body.

I think the biggest reason the Canucks are walking away from him is his lack of durability.

However if a team signs him and catches lightning in a bottle and has a healthy Tanev during a playoff run then they will reap the benefits. Thats a huge however though. 31 yrs old this year, over 100 games missed in the last 5 seasons

Well what you state is different than what the source says. Not offering and haven't offered are very different. If the OEL trade doesn't happen, the Canucks may put an offer out there. Tanev himself has said he doesn't expect anything to be done until Markstrom has been sorted.

With that said, 4 years 5 million would be a mistake for Tanev. He has been great for us, and I am a huge fan, but good teams cut bait before the decline. Moving on would be the right move, especially in the current marketplace, unless he takes a very short team freindly deal.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
He'll get 4 of 5 years somewhere, but it probably won't look good on the back-end (albeit this is almost expected with a lot of UFA signings).

He's not what he was at his best a few years ago but still extremely solid. Incredible defensively vs top players and tough as nails.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Probably a smart move, given his injury history.

That said, this is a gamble the Leafs almost have to try at this point.....

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Been a warrior since day 1 but the miles are starting to show. No way I give him more than 2 years, no way he accepts less than four. All the best to him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad