OT: Canucks NHL 14 Ratings

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
For those who are interested, revealed in this video. http://www.twitch.tv/ant_d_7/b/456951921

Lineup:

Sedin 89 Sedin 89 Kassian 82
Higgins 83 Kesler 87 Burrows 85
Booth 81 Schroeder 74 Hansen 82
Sestito 73 Richardson 77 Weise 77

Hamhuis 87 Bieksa 85
Edler 85 Garrison 85
Alberts 75 Tanev 80
Weber 75

Luongo 85
Lack 76

Pretty nice to Bieksa, Burrows and Kesler, but a bit hard on Luongo, Schroeder and Hansen, IMO. Also, Corrado is a 66 with only 3.5 star potential, so they're projecting him to be somewhere between mid 70's and low 80's.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
I know they are just rankings to a video game, but it does speak volumes to how good our defense could be.

We seem to be a team that has a player of slightly above average performance at most if not all positions, but we never have everyone firing on all cylinders at the same time.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
We seem to be a team that has a player of slightly above average performance at most if not all positions, but we never have everyone firing on all cylinders at the same time.

It's true. Our chemistry is out of whack - Edler hasn't had a consistent partner ever.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Seems right for Hansen imo. Didn't think Kassian would be that high.
Players who have a lot of solid tools - i.e. hard shot, good skating, good defense, good offensive skills tend to have higher OVR ratings. It's why Kesler's an 87 and Bergeron is an 89 (IIRC Eric Staal is an 88, for reference). Given that you'd think Hansen would be a couple points higher because of his multiple dimensions and raw tools.

It's also sort of by comparison to other players in the game... I.e., I'd rather have Hansen than Brayden Schenn or Mikkel Boedker or Martin Erat or Nikolai Kulemin, all rated higher. It's not a big deal though - there are some much worse things. Like, why is Pronger in the game and rated 85 when he hasn't played since, what, 2011? Why is Oliver Ekman-Larsson an 82 overall while Matt Carle is an 85?

Stuff like that happens every year though.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
Aw, we lost two 90+ players in the Sedin's from NHL 13.

Hamhuis, Edler , and Kesler dropped from 88.

At least other players like Burrows, Kassian, Garrison went up.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Luongo should be 87-88 rather than 85...

Bieksa and Burrows should be 82-83 not 85.

Kassian 82? Hansen 82? No.

Oh well, I always end up editting the attributes anyways.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Luongo is a bit underrated, whereas Kassian is overrated right now. He ought to have been 79 or thereabouts with high potential. I am somewhat surprised Higgins is as high as he is. Hansen seems about right.

Pseudonymous*

They dont seem that far off, pretty accurate actually IMO

re: Corrado, he's underrated as he was a late draft pick and only people who have reallly paid attention to him know how good hes going to be

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
The Sedins should still be 90+, same with Luongo.. Kesler, Hamhuis and Hansen are about right. everyone else should be lower

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Luongo and Kassian are the only standouts. Kassian should be a 78/79 Luongo 86-88 (88 only because Miller is an 88). I would put Luogno and Miller both as 87 if I made these.

Classic EA though leaving players who fall off the face of the earth rated the same as previous years. Wolski/Mueller/Jeff Schultz all 81-83. Would not surprise me one bit if Schultz was this years Barker and remained his un-realistically high ovr all year long. Last year while testing the game I looked at the ratings in August and when I saw Miller the best goalie and Barker was a 82 ovr I immediately put that in my review of the game and was very vocal of how Barker was one of the worst d-men in the league and couldnt even cut it in the AHL during the lockout yet was rated as a top 4 guy. Yet even with all the roster updates he remained un-touched.

This year I was very vocal on how they need to fix their rating system for prospects as they have guys like Mackinnon/Drouin etc who will step into the NHL right away rated in the mid/low 60s making them rated worse than guys like Parros/Mcgrattan/Orr when in reality they are good enough to be rated at least in the high 70s. But because of the rating system, we have to edit them ourselves or wait til the 1st roster update where a month and a half after the game comes out they become good enough to be 80+ ovrs which they didn't deserve prior according to them.

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I know they hire a guy to do this, but the rankings in the game are always awful.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Other 82's in the game are guys like Chris Kunitz, Chad LaRose, Clarke MacArthur, David Backes, T.J. Oshie etc.

I love Hansen don't get me wrong, but 82 is a bit high for me.

Hansen is AT LEAST equal to MacArthur, and better than LaRose. It's odd that Backes and Oshie are that low, along with Kunitz (questionable?). Hansen is that guy who is 80-82. That is a perfectly fine rating for him IMO.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Hansen is AT LEAST equal to MacArthur, and better than LaRose. It's odd that Backes and Oshie are that low, along with Kunitz (questionable?). Hansen is that guy who is 80-82. That is a perfectly fine rating for him IMO.

Agreed.
He does so many of the little things...
That are integral to a team's success...
But does not always translate onto the scoresheet.
Right now...
He is a legitimate 2nd/ 3rd line tweener...
And that rating is pretty spot on.

The ones I have a problem with...
Are Luongo and Edler...
Who are too low...
And Bieksa and Tanev...
Who are too high.
I like Tanev...
But he is more like a 77-79 for me.
80 is too high.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
The NHL games are made in Van there's probably a little home town bias going into these rankings

Anyways can't wait to not buy this game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad