Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
fans are starting to attack Pettersson's play almost as a defense mechanism to his potential departure.
Maybe for some, but I, personally, attack his play because he's been lackadaisical compared to how we know he can play. He's been a thorough disappointment despite somehow being at an 100 point pace. Never steps up against big opponents and proves he's a top player in the league. It has nothing to do with him potentially leaving.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I don't agree.

Just like the Canucks jumped at acquiring Lindholm, teams acquire exclusive negotiation rights for the term of the contract, plus the possibility to offer an 8 year contract rather than a 7 year contract which is a huge advantage for the Club and the player.

If "Your Vancouver Canucks" (in small printed: entirely owned and operated by the Aquilinis) put Pettersson on the market, he would likely be the most valuable (healthy)m young trade asset made available in many, many years.

It was interesting listen to Sat Shah, who prior to the game, was coming up with trade scenarios involving Pettersson, if Pettersson doesn't want to sign.

He suggested that a trade with the Ducks involving Leo Carlsson (whom he called a young Sundin) and Mason McTavish ++ would be starting point.

If the Ducks included another asset like Zegras, whom the Ducks are peddling at the moment, a trade like this could make the Canucks a better team immediately and in the future.

What sort of insight does does Sat Shah have to make such a claim barring pure speculation? If I'm the Ducks, I'd laugh hysterically at such a demand. You don't trade two cost controlled assets with the potential McTavish and Carlsson have, nevermind add to it. Could we bring in one of them? Maybe but the rest of that package would be decidedly smaller than you're outlining.

You can't seriously be suggesting McTavish, Carlsson and Zegres. That's ludicrous. We'll just ignore it absolutely destroys the Ducks future, thus making the trade for Pettersson pointless.

All that aside, we have a prime example of a young, top tier player opting not to sign in a Canadian market. Tkachuk is every bits as good as Pettersson yet he brought back a 30 year old Huberdeau, and Weeger, both pending UFAs--the former coming off an insanely bloated career year.

A realistic trade would be something around Marner is the Leafs wanted to break up the "core four" and ease Tavares into significantly reduced role or let him walk entirely. That trade would have small additions at most and little else. That's what you're looking at for Pettersson. Not a slew of top tier prospects and roster players.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think Petey is much better than Tkachuk was. But since the name came up, what of a deal Centered around Brady?

On one hand I like it just for the unique skill set and on the other it blows up how you have build your entire team bc he’s a winger. Aren’t Quinn and him friends? I could see that being two compatible pieces to make a trade. But I’m not sure if I like it or not I’ve been agonizing.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I think Petey is much better than Tkachuk was. But since the name came up, what of a deal Centered around Brady?

On one hand I like it just for the unique skill set and on the other it blows up how you have build your entire team bc he’s a winger. Aren’t Quinn and him friends? I could see that being two compatible pieces to make a trade. But I’m not sure if I like it or not I’ve been agonizing.
This would be one of my targets, as well. Build a tough, playoff designed team, and save about 4 million compared to Pettersson.

I'd likely ask for Greig or Pinto as well in that deal, but it's a decent base idea.

Would EP sign long term in Ottawa, though? Something tells me no.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018

The problem with the situation is that despite being an RFA, he is essentially a UFA in that he will control where he goes. If he doesn’t want to sign in Vancouver, why would he be on board with signing in Ottawa?

Reactions: ChilliBilly

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

Brady Tkachuk would be such a great addition (as well as other assets). Highly doubt Petey would be interested in signing long term unless they pay up $12.5-13M though.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
soucy will be the gritty defenseman add for the playoffs

if we can add tanev, sure. but other than him, i'd much rather see a move for a forward

There's no point in adding another forward if we dont have Dmen that can pass them the puck or break us out of our zone or sustain offensive pressure.

Aside from Hughes-Hronek, our Dmen are all Stay at home guys that are defensive and are all black holes offensively.

We need one more puck mover to carry the 2nd line.

Enter: Chychrun

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Maybe for some, but I, personally, attack his play because he's been lackadaisical compared to how we know he can play. He's been a thorough disappointment despite somehow being at an 100 point pace. Never steps up against big opponents and proves he's a top player in the league. It has nothing to do with him potentially leaving.
It really does sound like a defense mechanism for before someone "breaks up" with you. You pre-emptively trash them.

He hasn't even played that badly lately.

I'll drive petey to ottawa myself for Brady.
No.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Why do you think Petey is much better? Tkachuk seems to have the better resume and is way more physical. Frankly, the only reason I think I’d consider taking Petey over Tkachuk is because Tkachuk is a full time winger. Matt Tkachuk is a super unique player being both very physical and a top point producer. He’s also got playoff success.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Trading Pettersson over signing him to 12M makes us less competitive. There is no scenario we come out of that trade a winner barring sheer dumb luck on a draft pick. It just doesn't happen.

We're not going to get a slew of blue chip prospects or highly coveted roster players for 1 year of Pettersson. Teams are going to make a comparable offer to what Tkachuk brought Calgary or simply wait until the following off season to try their hand for free.
I’m not sure I fully agree, it is a risk and it would require some luck with draft picks.. no argument here, but it it lets you sign Lindholm for say 7.5 and your pro scouting is on its game and makes the right call (let’s say Cozens from Buffalo purely as an example) and Petty wants $13M and they cost you $15M, i think it’s likely you are better off then you would be with Petty and a $2M player. Plus the Buffalo has a significant prospect pool and you should be able to pry an A prospect band a first. The draft pick is a gamble but if your scouting is on point I think you come out well (Lindhom acquisition is a sunk cost either way).

I am hesitant to give him $12M and if he has been sitting on that offer all year… I’m nervous he wants out or it’s all about him maximizing every penny.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

If Petey wants out than something like Tkachuk and Pinto or Tkachuk and Zub would probably the best deal the team could get. But as others have suggested, it seems very unlikely he would re-sign in Ottawa if he refuses to re-sign with Vancouver. He does sorta seem like a guy who would like to be in LA but I don't think Anaheim would have much interest at this point in their cycle...not sure what a trade with LA would look like.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Why do you think Petey is much better? Tkachuk seems to have the better resume and is way more physical. Frankly, the only reason I think I’d consider taking Petey over Tkachuk is because Tkachuk is a full time winger. Matt Tkachuk is a super unique player being both very physical and a top point producer. He’s also got playoff success.
Before his run last year, he was regarded as a no show in the playoffs and would constantly take dumb penalties and wasn’t able to keep up the pace as the intensity grew.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I think Petey ends up in Columbus if he gets traded. Not sure that would be the best outcome for a return, but that is my guess. I also think Buffalo might take a stab.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Petey is a top-10 center and performed very well when he had an opportunity in the playoffs.

Matt Tkachuk did have a good playoff run. Prior to that, he was considered a playoff choker.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Before his run last year, he was regarded as a no show in the playoffs and would constantly take dumb penalties and wasn’t able to keep up the pace as the intensity grew.
Doens't seem overly relevant now since he has led his team in scoring in the playoffs at over a point per game, leading his team to the Stanley Cup finals.

Petey is a top-10 center and performed very well when he had an opportunity in the playoffs.
Sorry, I was talking about Matt Tkachuk but @Reverend Mayhem may have meant Brady, so my bad there.

Reactions: bossram

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Why? I think id do that deal in a second.
Brady is nowhere near as good as Petey. It's not even close.

Ottawa is the perpetual "one year away" team. People think they're on the cusp but ultimately are still a bottom-feeder. It's because they're a fundamentally unserious team and their core is a big part of it. With Brady as the captain.

Poor defensively, bad habits, never take the next step. Big pass.

Petey is a top-10 center. Full stop. That's one of the most valuable assets in the NHL. I don't even think Brady is a top-10 LWer.

Reactions: Vector

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I'm still seeing proposals where we get a prime player back that is still young and then asking for top notch throw-ins. It's not happening. If we get a prime aged player back there may be a couple filler pieces on either side but give it a rest

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I'm still seeing proposals where we get a prime player back that is still young and then asking for top notch throw-ins. It's not happening. If we get a prime aged player back there may be a couple filler pieces on either side but give it a rest

Plus no team is going to give up potential franchise players on ELCs like Carlsson and Fantilli for Petey without an extension. Pettersson wanted the Canucks to start winning before committing here longterm. He isn’t going to sign in Anaheim or Columbus when they are bottom feeders.

Reactions: andora
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad