Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | The Hunt for Red June

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
By the time Quinn's next contract comes up, depending upon Pettersson, they should be over most of the cap problems.

Allvin told the masses what the plan was last year, he said this franchise deserved a trip to the playoffs. He didn't say any more than that.

The Devils can bend over backwards to get Quinn, they have WAY more to offer the Canucks than the Canucks can possibly offer them. They have young depth rising, the Canucks have Pettersson at 25 yrs old and Quinn at 23 yrs old. That's it, nothing more in the NHL except HOPE of prospects. I wonder how many remember that Baerstchi was the big ticket prospect or Shinkaruk and Joulevi were the future. Same as now, until they play they are just talking items or assets that might be traded.

Another thing to consider, by the time Quinn is in need of another contract most of the team will be aged out, there is nothing playing now that can step into the void unless Rutherford and Allvin make trade to get young NHL players that still have upside and/or buried behind star players now on other teams.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Still, the correct move is probably to trade Pettersson and whatever it takes, including Demko, to get Luke and Jack Hughes from the Devils.

If Fans think the current Pettersson contract fiasco is bad, wait until Quinn approaches free agency in 2027.

Forewarning, it will likely tear the Franchise apart.

If you don't think the Devils should probably part with the Hughes Brothers for Pettersson and Demko, you probably haven't followed the plight of the Devils.

Last edited:
Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
by next week trade activity should pickup depending on the teams that are in selling mode wave in the white towel.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If this season is anything like last year’s, this thread will turn into a league-wide one soon enough.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Still, the correct move is probably to trade Pettersson and whatever it takes, including Demko, to get Luke and Jack Hughes from the Devils.

If Fans think the current Pettersson contract fiasco is bad, wait until Quinn approaches free agency in 2027.

Forewarning, it will likely tear the Franchise apart.

If you don't think the Devils would probably part with the Hughes Brothers for Pettersson and Demko, you probably haven't followed the plight of the Devils.
NJD getting Pettersson will likely win them a cup.
NJD do an offer sheet and it costs them no players, they just get stronger. They have 19 mil in cap space next year and all but 2 players needing raise, that is without trades to get more cap space. They won't need picks for 3 to 5 years, they are that young and contracted.

AND

NJD will get Hughes in 2 yrs, his last year of FA and all will know that since his brother Luke was drafted he stated he can't wait until they all play together.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
NJD will not win the cup with Demko and Pettersson if the price is 2 x Hughes. I suspect that is actually a fair trade ... but I can't see NJ doing it.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
NJD getting Pettersson will likely win them a cup.
NJD do an offer sheet and it costs them no players, they just get stronger. They have 19 mil in cap space next year and all but 2 players needing raise, that is without trades to get more cap space. They won't need picks for 3 to 5 years, they are that young and contracted.

AND

NJD will get Hughes in 2 yrs, his last year of FA and all will know that since his brother Luke was drafted he stated he can't wait until they all play together.

It's crazy that the salary cap that applies to 31 other teams somehow doesn't apply to new jersey.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The only trade NJ probably does for Pettersson would involve Hischier as the centre piece. Hischier + Nemec seems like a reasonable trade base, Canucks might need to add on top of Pettersson. This seems like it would be a competitive offer though.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The only trade NJ probably does for Pettersson would involve Hischier as the centre piece. Hischier + Nemec seems like a reasonable trade base, Canucks might need to add on top of Pettersson. This seems like it would be a competitive offer though.
Pettersson >>> Hischier. But to get Nemec would be fantastic. I would likely go so far as to make that deal and throw in next years 2nd, and any prospect not named Lekkerimaki or Willander.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
NJ will likely get much better value from Hughes over the remaining term of his contract, than we'll get from Petey over what he's going to end up with in his deal...at least IMO.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
NJ will likely get much better value from Hughes over the remaining term of his contract, than we'll get from Petey over what he's going to end up with in his deal...at least IMO.
Depends what the criteria is and I'm not saying this against you or even debating what you're saying but I always find it intriguing with comments like this how the person saying it measures value.

Is it as simple as cap hit per point? Or what else can go into it

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Depends what the criteria is and I'm not saying this against you or even debating what you're saying but I always find it intriguing with comments like this how the person saying it measures value.

Is it as simple as cap hit per point? Or what else can go into it
All I'm saying is, I'd rather have Jack Hughes at $8M over the next 6 years, than Petey for the likely $11-12m year. I know they aren't an "apples to apples" comparison, but that extra $3-4m in cap space is more valuable IMO than the difference between the two players.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Barring weird fall off or late explosion, wouldn't that be pretty normal for a deal signed at age 20 coming out of an ELC versus one signed at 25 a year or whatever out from UFA status?

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Barring weird fall off or late explosion, wouldn't that be pretty normal for a deal signed at age 20 coming out of an ELC versus one signed at 25 a year or whatever out from UFA status?
Sure...I was just using the context of the fantasy mongering of a Hughes/Petey trade...I just don't see why NJ would ever trade a very good value contract in Hughes, even if it was for an (arguably) moderately better player in Petey.

Reactions: Hodgy

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
All I'm saying is, I'd rather have Jack Hughes at $8M over the next 6 years, than Petey for the likely $11-12m year. I know they aren't an "apples to apples" comparison, but that extra $3-4m in cap space is more valuable IMO than the difference between the two players.
Oh I completely get it, I wasn't even trying to find an angle to say it wasn't Apples to Apples or anything like that. Just kind of making a random observation I thought of words made me think of.

Reactions: Canucker

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I think this is pretty obvious to be honest. The Devils signed Hughes to a steal of a contract. I don’t really think it’s debatable that Hughes at 8 million is going to be better value than Petey at 12+ million. I think Petey is trying to maximize his earnings which fair play to him. I do wonder what the long term deal looked like back when he signed the 3 year deal like 10+ on long term contract. Hughes should fire his agent for advising him to sign that deal because it’s garbage.

Last edited:

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
1708826529597.png

Reactions: David71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad