Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Using cap friendly’s tool it looks like the team is $871,667 over the cap with a fully healthy lineup save for Poolman on LTIR. That’s including $850k in overages though, not sure if that’s carryover from Kuzmenko’s contract?

Yes, 850k for Kuz bonus.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Myers needs to go. I can’t stand to watch his 10 seconds left in a period, phantom up the middle— in his own zone giveaways.

Myers for Simek and use that money to sign Bear.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Using cap friendly’s tool it looks like the team is $871,667 over the cap with a fully healthy lineup save for Poolman on LTIR. That’s including $850k in overages though, not sure if that’s carryover from Kuzmenko’s contract?
Either ELC or 35+ plus guys or someone who has missed a lot of the 21-22 season could have received bonuses for the 22-23 season.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Even if Pearson is healthy, there's no guarantee he's good to go enough to actually make the team.

Is Mikheyev ready to go for the start of the season? Someone else will probably get hurt in training camp/pre season. They can run a 22 man roster as well. There's lots of options to get cap compliant.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
As far as we know rn Pearson will be healthy sooner than later, very possibly for camp, and we don't have any cap space for him..

They put themselves into this mess and should be interesting to see how they manage it.

On a related note How much refreshing we all gonna do on Friday waiting for Myers news...

The footage I saw today of Pearson skating in full gear doing line drills at some kind of practice. I'm betting he's ready to go like we've heard.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
At the 2022 trade deadline the team had just played their best 40-game segment in a decade. The core group of players was excellent. The team finished with 92 points, a total which would have made the playoffs in each of the previous 3 years (pro-rating the two COVID years to 82 games).

Even if 'theoretically' in a video game simulation the statistically best thing to do would have been to call the next two years 'dead seasons' and build for 24-25 (and I don't agree that it was, but sure, maybe), in actual real life with real money and real people ... there's just no freaking way. If you took that plan to any ownership group in that situation with a young team with a strong core of players playing well and getting results, you'd be losing your job.

The only thing that any management group was going to plan, and the only thing that any ownership group was ever going to sign off on, was to try to keep moving forward and building around that young core. Again, they were in basically exactly the same situation in 2022 that Florida was in 2020.

And it still absolutely blows my mind that people don't understand this. There was never, ever going to be an intentional 'step back'. Especially after the team had already taken a 'step back' in 2021 which was disastrously received by the players.
I agree that taking a 2 years "step back" was never an option because our owner is the most short sighted person ever. It doesn't mean a step back was the wrong move, it just means we were locked into doing another "retool on the fly" because the guy that signs the cheques can't look more than 12 months into the future.

It's his team so he can do as he pleases, but it doesn't mean it's the right path if the end goal is a chance to compete for the cup.

You fell for the Bruce-bump hard. The team was winning and playing entertaining hockey, but they were not playing a good system and their success was not sustainable. Just look at the hesitation to extend Bruce long term in the summer of 2022, the constant criticism about a lack of structure during training camp, and the very uncharacteristic public bashing of Bruce from JR. Management were not sold on Brodreau even with said 40-games stretch the previous season. They knew it was a mirage, that 40-games stretch means very little.

You look at the lack of structure, the horrific blueline, the underwhelming depth all around and the lack of prospects and cap space, and it is really hard to see how anybody believed the Nucks could be competitive last season. Demko injury became an excuse, but that roster would need everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, to go right just to sneak into the playoff. Even with Hughes and Petterson taking huge leaps, the team was still nowhere close to the playoff. It was not a competitive roster last season, I think most people can see that. Continuing to throw assets to prop up this shakey foundation is ill-advised, but it's the path we must take because of the owner (and I guess because of Petterson now).

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Even if Pearson is healthy, there's no guarantee he's good to go enough to actually make the team.

Is Mikheyev ready to go for the start of the season? Someone else will probably get hurt in training camp/pre season. They can run a 22 man roster as well. There's lots of options to get cap compliant.
I have a feeling that Pearson will be generously given a spot on the third line to start the season where he injures himself a few games in and we never see him again.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I have a feeling that Pearson will be generously given a spot on the third line to start the season where he injures himself a few games in and we never see him again.

I think a Pearson - Bluger - Mikheyev line could be an okayish third line. But sadly I am too optimistic regarding washed vets. He's most likely done but the team has to be cautious with him given the union stuff.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Pearson looks good from the clips, which clearly shows, the Canucks need to make another significant trade here

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Can't you make a 22man compliant roster if Podkolzin & Hoglander aren't on the roster? Seem to recall it working, even with Pearson healthy.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I agree that taking a 2 years "step back" was never an option because our owner is the most short sighted person ever. It doesn't mean a step back was the wrong move, it just means we were locked into doing another "retool on the fly" because the guy that signs the cheques can't look more than 12 months into the future.

It's his team so he can do as he pleases, but it doesn't mean it's the right path if the end goal is a chance to compete for the cup.

You fell for the Bruce-bump hard. The team was winning and playing entertaining hockey, but they were not playing a good system and their success was not sustainable. Just look at the hesitation to extend Bruce long term in the summer of 2022, the constant criticism about a lack of structure during training camp, and the very uncharacteristic public bashing of Bruce from JR. Management were not sold on Brodreau even with said 40-games stretch the previous season. They knew it was a mirage, that 40-games stretch means very little.

You look at the lack of structure, the horrific blueline, the underwhelming depth all around and the lack of prospects and cap space, and it is really hard to see how anybody believed the Nucks could be competitive last season. Demko injury became an excuse, but that roster would need everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, to go right just to sneak into the playoff. Even with Hughes and Petterson taking huge leaps, the team was still nowhere close to the playoff. It was not a competitive roster last season, I think most people can see that. Continuing to throw assets to prop up this shakey foundation is ill-advised, but it's the path we must take because of the owner (and I guess because of Petterson now).

Exactly. Thankfully there were a good number of us that weren't fooled that easily. It was obvious that it wasn't sustainable hockey.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Can't you make a 22man compliant roster if Podkolzin & Hoglander aren't on the roster? Seem to recall it working, even with Pearson healthy.
Someone else is almost certainly going to get injured as well. Like the Gillis year where he was over the cap and likely going to have to trade Bieksa(?) but they were able to rotate through IR players the entire season.

Reactions: m9

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Yup, it’s possible. They don’t have to make a trade. Of course in the scenario where Hoglander doesn’t make the team, he’ll be surely traded. The bigger issue, to me, is a healthy Pearson prevents pretty much all roster flexibility.

Reactions: m9

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Basically what I said at the start of the new regime, realistically you had to commit to competing with Pettersson/Hughes as the core or prepare for a full rebuild without them. There are number of different ways that could have been done, with varying degrees in between, but players have their own agency in this discussion and they tend to favour competing over min/maxing rebuilds. With Pettersson on a short term contract and so close to unrestricted free agency as the worse the team performs on ice intentional or not the greater the chance he'll want to play elsewhere.

Again this was my opinion 1.5 years ago. The most recent news from him has shown that side of my opinion to be accurate. If Pettersson was signed to an 8 year contract then sure we got him locked in, but on the 3 year deal we got the ball's in his court.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
it's incredible how a bunch of posters don't understand how the real world works. Yes they want to improve the team and they explored different options and when some didn't work they went with other options. Shocker right?
That's some serious hubris you've got going on my friend. Might want to get that looked at.

Reactions: Szechwan

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria

My question marks are Mikheyev and Boeser.Is Mikheyev healthy enough.Boeser better be in the best shape cause no more excuses.I look at our wingers on this team and I'm still iffy if we have the right people.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I'm just happy we can put all of those absurd discussions about multi-year rebuilds with Pettersson still here at the end of it to bed, along with all of the whining about why we were prioritizing culture and systems and winning hockey at the end of last season instead of bumping our draft pick a couple spots.

This was the reason and it was always obvious this was the reason if you didn't have Bedarditis clouding your vision.
You have to admit, if we had landed Bedard, this conversation would likely not be an issues, and even if Pettersson left we would still have a first line Center.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
people said the same shit about how strong they finished under boudreau and how much the players enjoyed playing for him. we got the same offseason sound bites about how excited everyone was to come back and extend the success they had under boudreau

it's absolutely absurd to act like this is any different
I think this is key, we should have maximize our draft capital, and generated more picks as well (since Benning was let go). One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is how good of a position we would be in to have significant cap space right now to “help” a couple teams out by paying significantly less than market value for good players.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Expect our 2024 1st to be gone by December.
You mean October

So many holes in this theory being paraded around as correct and the situation is over its not even funny, and a bit sad.
Good thing others are more patient and better at articulating than i am.

Ppl saying the same sillyness about tocchet as they were arguing against for the bruce bump.
Everything that happens is proof they're right no matter what or how many other paths could've been used.

Mgmt has been avg at best and if the whole point is centered around ep and success the odds are they're going to fail with a maybe slightly improved team.

Im sure those 30 meaningless games we tried to win as hard as possible are exactly what changes Pettersson’s mind on staying or not.

Benning still being blamed nearly two years in is pathetic , if success was so imperative you should be upset they sat on their hands so long and didn't make the changes needed.

Theres a real chance Dubas undid more damage in 2.5 months in Pittsburgh than allvinford will accomplish in 2.5 years if things dont improve substantially.
Starting with Myers and a winger upgrade at the very least
It was always going to take time to clean up the mess that Benning left, and it’s been complicated by a flat cap. I think 2 years is very reasonable considering some of the contracts that this management group has been saddled with (Boeser is on them, but they were backed into a comber based on his QO).

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Myers with retention and a mid pick (after bonus paid) is going to happen. It’ll be foolish to wait and to assume we won’t need to make this move or without some retention/pick attached.

Trade Myers cowards

Reactions: andora and quat

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You mean October

It was always going to take time to clean up the mess that Benning left, and it’s been complicated by a flat cap. I think 2 years is very reasonable considering some of the contracts that this management group has been saddled with (Boeser is on them, but they were backed into a comber based on his QO).

I don't buy that excuse for this season specifically. They inherited Hughes, EP, and Demko on under-market deals and that savings more than cancels out the bad deals left on the books in Myers, Pearson, and Garland. With the OEL buyout, they had the ability to build a competitive roster for this season and if they can't then it's on them.

I'm not saying they were handed an ideal situation but for this season specifically - if this team sucks again this season it will probably be because this management group's roster decisions didn't work out.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I dont buy any of those excuses honestly and I'm tired of the lowest bar in the world. Two years is more than enough time, especially when they identified the issues right away, took months to evaluate, and still did practically nothing for a year.

Team still has many of the same issues, still. Thats not on dimjim after 2 full offseasons, tdl, draft etc.

Dubas has been proactive, our mgnt has not, idc about different situation semantics, its about actions and results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad