Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Playoffs Approaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
What are we defining physical as though, last night for example he consistently engaged in contact and board battles and several times used his body for position and gets the puck
Agreed...its not always the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Agreed...its not always the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Well pretty much.. physicality is leaning on more than getting leaned on. Engaging in battles ober the puck or position, instigating contact in the hot spots, battle effort on the wall etc...

Big loud hits are just big loud hits without the other stuff

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think buch would be a perfect fit for Petey, and the price should come down in the summer for him. I'd be fine trading lekkarimaki for him if the blues would retain on the final year
Lawson Crouse. Should be a summer target.

As far as which AAA prospect to offer up, Willander or Lettermaki, that would depend upon the state of the team's defence now and forwards needs.

IMO Willander, in light of the current roster, they already have 3 good to decent RHD's if they sign Hronek to a long term contract, good enough for the next 3+ years.
RHD's have the highest trade value.

The team has 3/4 GMs so having a couple work on "best fit" should not be a problem but until any selection actually plays with Petey it is a chance. So any deal should be a little universal in filling in needs.

IMHO once the playoffs start SIZE will be an issue or very evident AGAIN. The past few cups the largest players on those winners have been the 3rd/4th liners having the biggest impacts, pardon the pun.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
If we look at Pittsburgh’s model, they may target a younger early 20th winger that hasn’t broken out but has a good probability of doing so with Pettersson. Think Neal or Hornqvist.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Lawson Crouse. Should be a summer target.

As far as which AAA prospect to offer up, Willander or Lettermaki, that would depend upon the state of the team's defence now and forwards needs.

IMO Willander, in light of the current roster, they already have 3 good to decent RHD's if they sign Hronek to a long term contract, good enough for the next 3+ years.
RHD's have the highest trade value.

The team has 3/4 GMs so having a couple work on "best fit" should not be a problem but until any selection actually plays with Petey it is a chance. So any deal should be a little universal in filling in needs.

IMHO once the playoffs start SIZE will be an issue or very evident AGAIN. The past few cups the largest players on those winners have been the 3rd/4th liners having the biggest impacts, pardon the pun.
Trading a top young right shot D for a winger is f***ing stupid. If coyotes ask for Willander you hang up the phone.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Trading a top young right shot D for a winger is f***ing stupid. If coyotes ask for Willander you hang up the phone.
Ditto if for Lettermaki but either can be part of a bigger trade.

Look Vancouver is not in need of 18 to 20 year old's anymore, at least not for top six duties.
Vancouver has become a "win now" team in terms of age and still needing to fill spots now, with proven players.
IMO they still need younger players but more around Pettersson's age of 25 yrs old and not Miller's of 31 yrs old.

If Willander was included in a trade it would be for Crouse AND ?
Willander is still "hope" and not proven.

Can Vancouver still operate on "hope" and be successful?
Didn't the team and fans just suffer with 8 years or just "hope" with failures of waiting to see if Juloevi would be the "stud" they hoped or that Jake would be the "hammer" they hoped for? Podkolzin was drafted 5 years ago, FIVE YEARS!

There is also the "who does he replace" and "does he make the team better without ever playing a game" thoughts.

Willander is a "hope", very likely but still just a thought, a mind game. Crouse is tangible, you can see his NHL game NOW and see it's improvement over the last couple of YEARS. Power forwards like defencemen sometimes take longer to develop and he is a power forward on the upswing.

Willander is good for selling "hope" to a market right now without any on ice results and in truth that may not be a good enough reason for the Yotes to make a trade, their market is fractured already but there are other markets that could use or have the time to wait for Willander to make an impact.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Ditto if for Lettermaki but either can be part of a bigger trade.

Look Vancouver is not in need of 18 to 20 year old's anymore, at least not for top six duties.
Vancouver has become a "win now" team in terms of age and still needing to fill spots now, with proven players.
IMO they still need younger players but more around Pettersson's age of 25 yrs old and not Miller's of 31 yrs old.

If Willander was included in a trade it would be for Crouse AND ?
Willander is still "hope" and not proven.

Can Vancouver still operate on "hope" and be successful?
Didn't the team and fans just suffer with 8 years or just "hope" with failures of waiting to see if Juloevi would be the "stud" they hoped or that Jake would be the "hammer" they hoped for? Podkolzin was drafted 5 years ago, FIVE YEARS!

There is also the "who does he replace" and "does he make the team better without ever playing a game" thoughts.

Willander is a "hope", very likely but still just a thought, a mind game. Crouse is tangible, you can see his NHL game NOW and see it's improvement over the last couple of YEARS. Power forwards like defencemen sometimes take longer to develop and he is a power forward on the upswing.

Willander is good for selling "hope" to a market right now without any on ice results and in truth that may not be a good enough reason for the Yotes to make a trade, their market is fractured already but there are other markets that could use or have the time to wait for Willander to make an impact.
Vancouver is not a win now team. They need the cheap ELC’e in the lineup and they need the cycle of young legs filling out th team. They just opened what should be a five to seven year window.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Canucks probably need their best prospects to be cheap contributors.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
IMG_0421.gif

Some trade proposals just can’t be unseen…

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't want to derail this thread but we have no clue of how good of player driver he is because he has been tied to Crosbys hip his whole career. I think he is great offensive player but he is also an awful defensive player Crosby has been covering up his defensive play his whole career.

The point is, we can get assets for Boeser and on top of that, get Guentzel in FA without expanding any assets.

the team needs depth, that’s a way to get more depth. You can debate whether or not Guentzel is not as good as Boeser, I am sure a lot of people would laugh at your for that. What I am saying is Guentze + another player is definitely better than Boeser.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Vancouver is not a win now team. They need the cheap ELC’e in the lineup and they need the cycle of young legs filling out th team. They just opened what should be a five to seven year window.
On planet Ork maybe. Where players are immortal and never age.

What year did they draft these non players, Lettermaki, Willander, Podkolzin, Pettersson? Any of them helping now? Which are so good they can displace Soucy, Miller or Demko?

Here are other odd questions. What will YOU be doing in 5 to 7 years? How many funerals? Visits to hospitals? New jobs? Mates?
A lot of variables.

But in hockey there can be a plan to take into account variables.

You're right they will need youth but they won't have time to replace ALL the needs that way.

Pettersson is 26 yrs old, Miller 31 yrs old, Demko 28 yrs old, Boeser 29 yrs old, the majority of the team will be over 26 yr old next year. Seven years from now that makes them 33+ yrs old.

And then there is the matching contracts with teams that have more cap space especially over the next 4 years.

This IS a win now team. Age dictates that. They can't wait for 5 or 6 players to develop into stars or even NHL players as is happening now. Just who would Bains replace? Woo, Hirose or McWard? These players already have a few years of development going on. Which replaces Soucy, Cole or even Juulsen?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The point is, we can get assets for Boeser and on top of that, get Guentzel in FA without expanding any assets.

the team needs depth, that’s a way to get more depth. You can debate whether or not Guentzel is not as good as Boeser, I am sure a lot of people would laugh at your for that. What I am saying is Guentze + another player is definitely better than Boeser.
you have to ask the question is Guentzel at X x Xyrs vs Boeser 1 x 6.65 or even Boeser at whatever he's asking is worth the small upgrade of an older player

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

I literally never compared the two. You called Guentzel a play driver which I disputed saying we don’t really have a ton evidence to say that is the case because he has played with Crosby his whole career. I also stated that he was a bad defensive player which watch him for 10 minutes and it’s pretty obvious. This whole discussion might be a moot point because I think he resigns in Carolina but who knows.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Just a question but why would trading prime assets for Crouse be better than signing DeBrusk for free
The Cap. The team has millions dedicated to OEL.
Crouse is under contract for 4.3 mil for the next 3 years and no clause.
Debrusk is a FA expecting a raise of more than 4.3 million
Both have similar stats but Crouse is improving every year whereas Debrusk seems to have plateaued.

That and Debrusk ADDs to a cap problem the team would still need to dump even more salary
This team only has like 3 or 4 players that I think you could even argue as soft I have no idea why toughness has been such a big talking point.
That is because you haven't been watching playoff hockey very often and have been sold on the easy season under Benning's tenure. Even long term fans get indoctrinated into the easy season. Then will beech like crazy about the reffing in the playoffs.
Canucks are 5th in the league in hits but apparently are soft.
It is not how many times you hit, it is how many times you can take a hit. ;)
That and in the easy season real hits are frowned upon as that is the business when players are playing for the checks. Playoffs are different.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I feel like Boeser will take a hometown discount for some security and stability. Sort of like Nuge's contract extension in Edmonton.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This team only has like 3 or 4 players that I think you could even argue as soft I have no idea why toughness has been such a big talking point.

Our size/toughness on defense is great. In the bottom 6 it's pretty good.

Our size/toughness in our top-6 is ... not so much.

Last night it was Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser, Hoglander-Pettersson-Suter.

1 guy out of the 6 has both size and grit. Mikheyev is big but passive. Hoglander agitates but is tiny.

It isn't hits and fighting or whatever so much as much as they could just really use another strong, gritty two-way puck retrieval guy in either the Mikheyev or Suter spot in the lineup.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Just keep Lekk. The odds of him turning into a top 6 winger on an ELC deal ala Dallas with Stankoven are worth more than spending millions on an aging top 6 winger that may give you 3 or 4 more years of 1st line quality output that you need to sign for 7-8 years.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The Cap. The team has millions dedicated to OEL.
Crouse is under contract for 4.3 mil for the next 3 years and no clause.
Debrusk is a FA expecting a raise of more than 4.3 million
Both have similar stats but Crouse is improving every year whereas Debrusk seems to have plateaued.

That and Debrusk ADDs to a cap problem the team would still need to dump even more salary
This makes no difference between the 2
Expecting a raise? I think Boston has balked at it and he may elect to put himself into a good situation closer to home vs the home run contract on a loser. You don't know this yet
same draft....i disagree this is a thing.

Crouse might be slightly better but when you consider that Crouse will cost a 1st plus roster player or B prospect vs a contract that should be decent if done properly then im just not seeing the benefit at all. Both are 3rd wheel top 6 players who provide the net presence grit and wall components not high skill IQ players who are production drivers

Reactions: theguardianII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad