Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Dan Hamhuis took 7.58% as a 27/28 yr old UFA

87.5 x .0758 = 6.63m

Not liking where this is going from the Hronek camp
i like hamhuis a lot, but with hronek we are talking about a rhd who plays in the top pairing. hamhuis was a lhd in the second pairing in nashville signed to do the same in vancouver, albeit clearly a 3d. not to mention hamhuis was coming off a 24 point season and career high of 27. hronek should comfortably break 50 points this year and has a productive track record from before he got here.

we will have to pay the guy.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm not sold on hronek at eight mil the same way I'm still not sold on ep at eleven plus.

But I don't see how they entertain anything other than extending him, especially as a rhd.

Sign tanev and you have multiple above avg options you know work with your franchise dman depending on the situation.

So much of contending depends on cap trends and your ability to extend players before they reach enough leverage to command market value.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Is it so crazy at this point to just consider Garland-Joshua as the real second line? They play and produce like one, and it feels like we're stretching our goal scoring talent out pretty thin sometimes with the line combos. Injuries and whatnot make it hard yes, but perhaps we're seeing how this might be best shaped in the offseason. Especially given the cap situation.

UFA/trade-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Pettersson-Garland

Dream would be Guentzel on the top line with Miller. The bottom six would have to be a well constructed and well coached assortment of cheap responsible players. Easier said than done. I'm having a hard time seeing the depth of assets and cap space to make better use of what we already have.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they moved on from Hronek. This is obviously much more like that Horvat/Miller situations than the Petey one. They have a number in their mind that they won’t go over and if the player accepts great, but otherwise see ya. I’m all for that mentality.

They’ll probably make him a final offer and if he turns them down then I could see him getting traded for sure.

Ideally you can sign Matt Roy if he makes it to UFA and you’ll still have a great top pairing. Or make a trade with a team that’s desperate for a shakeup this summer and take advantage of them.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they moved on from Hronek. This is obviously much more like that Horvat/Miller situatios than the Petey one. They have a number in their mind that they won’t go over and if the player accepts great, but otherwise see ya. I’m all for that mentality.

They’ll probably make him a final offer and if he turns them down then I could see him getting traded for sure.

Ideally you can sign Matt Roy if he makes it to UFA and you’ll still have a great top pairing. Or make a trade with a team that’s desperate for a shakeup this summer and take advantage of them.
that i can see if he wants the big cheque. it seems to me they are figuring that out well in advance of the draft, which is the right move.

Reactions: andora

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they moved on from Hronek. This is obviously much more like that Horvat/Miller situations than the Petey one. They have a number in their mind that they won’t go over and if the player accepts great, but otherwise see ya. I’m all for that mentality.

This is my thinking as well. Canucks reportedly offered Horvat a 5.5M contract, I know it was a low ball but clearly they thought he wasn’t worth the $8M that he wanted.

If they trade Hronek, I’d expect a 22-26 year old core piece coming back (equivalent value of a 1st and 2nd round pick) and us to go after Roy and Tanev in the off season.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

This is basically the Carolina approach and it’s worked out pretty well for them.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think Hronek's trade value would take a hit because other teams will see that his ask is more then Vancouver wants to pay and aren't going to pay out the nose, just to pay out the nose.

Anyway our mgmt team has consistently done well with contracts, usually surprising and underneath what the rumored ask is. I think they'll re-sign Hronek for something around 7.

Reactions: andora

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I think Hronek's trade value would take a hit because other teams will see that his ask is more then Vancouver wants to pay and aren't going to pay out the nose, just to pay out the nose.

Anyway our mgmt team has consistently done well with contracts, usually surprising and underneath what the rumored ask is. I think they'll re-sign Hronek for something around 7.
It shouldn’t be. Every RFA traded the last 10 years fetched a 1st + a 2nd or equivalent.

His trade value takes a hit the longer he’s without a contract. Essentially, you’d have to trade him before July 1st before his value plummets considerably.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It shouldn’t be. Every RFA traded the last 10 years fetched a 1st + a 2nd or equivalent.

His trade value takes a hit the longer he’s without a contract. Essentially, you’d have to trade him before July 1st before his value plummets considerably.

Depends entirely if the Canucks let him talk to other teams and where he would be willing to sign. Hamonic, for example, held the Flames hostage on destinations under threats of not extending with anyone except three teams or so.

You’ve really got only one more true year of club control on Hronek if he wants to go that route.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
My response had nothing to do with the flat cap but rather your ludicrous value assessment. Zadorov is not worth 6M nor has he shown anywhere close to that capability. It doesn't matter what the cap will look like in 3-4 years. We have to get there first. Which you're not doing carrying Zadorov at that bloated salary.

You are severely overrating him at that salary mark, especially when you're slotting Hronek at the same number. Hronek is a vastly superior player, younger and a RHD. There's no scenario whatsoever they're getting paid the same.

If we try and lowball him like you're suggesting, then yes. He's not taking any number starting with a 6. You mention Tanev but how much of a mess has our defense been since we let him walk? He was not "quickly replaced and forgotten." We just tried trading for him a month ago.

Horvat is a different scenario as we had a surplus of centers. We don't have that luxury. There is nobody in our system or in free agency as talented as Hronek. We're not replacing him, we're downgrading.
Maybe the Canucks should go all in to trade for Krug or Ristolanien, except the make more than 6 mil, TK gets 11 mil this year and Risto will want a raise on his 6.5 mil. But there are more pygmies out there is dainty is what you want.
I am sure many fans thought that some contracts were too big, MIller's for example or Eriksson's or OEL's or any number of the 100 dmen that get paid more than Zadorov. Many that be signed that don't hit, or clear the front of the net or stand up for team mates or don't fit with the chemistry of the room or want to be in Vancouver. Lots of those of there.
There tons of AHL guys that will play for peanuts.

I try to see where your head is at and I can't see to figure it out, you obviously have the perfect team in mind but aren't thinking more than "one year at a time", in other words seeing the surface but not deeper and over and under rating Canuck players by who you like. Player do get old you know just like the rest of us.

Are you aware that Pettersson has been a Canucks almost as long as Horvat was?

For all the negativity about a youngish player that is on the team already you don't seem to think of how these players play as a team.

There are hundreds of players that don't want to be in Vancouver, it would not surprise me if it's over half the league, established NHL players, not the fringe guys or AHLer wannabe's.

The Canuck defence is a top 5 or 6 group THIS year but all but 2 will need new contracts and even thought the cap is increasing 5 mil the Nux have the OEL buyout that lowers that amount.

The Hronek thing is just contract stuff, it would be great to keep him BUT ...to tell the truth I would rather keep him at 8 mil and jettison Boeser even if a pick was needed to do so.

Hughes - Tanev
Hronek - Zadorov
Myers - Soucy
Juulsen

That would be a good defence group next year especially as they already have a full season of playing together.

8 million but not more for Hronek. If he holds out then his value in the league could fill in many of the Canuck needs at forward in which case the established defence corp would be a huge plus for next season.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It's just blatantly obvious to anyone who is paying attention. There have been multiple reports where his agent has stated they feel his contract starts with an 8. He also wants the full length security and $$ of a max term 8 year contract. So that's the starting point.

What are you even talking about? There is Quinn who I hope you're not suggesting isn't capable because he's not big. Other than that I listed Roy, Soucy, Cole, Juulsen, Myers. You're out to lunch if you think those guys are small.

There is no obsession with small guys, just good players. Big defenseman are great in their own way but almost all suffer some sort of lack of stamina, speed, mobility, and hockey IQ. You don't just sign the biggest players you can find. Skill is of the utmost importance as well. Roy is 6'2" 210. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Juulsen is a RD, Cole is a LD who can cover RD. They are not interchangeable.

Hahaha, you're just making up crap now. Zadorov is not a 3/4 in anyone's world, he's a #5 dman. $6 mil? What a bloody awful contract that would be. It would completely sink the organization. He's also looking at a long term deal. You're so out of touch with reality. My goodness. No one has played anywhere near as well as Hronek with Hughes. Tanev included.
Quinn, is not big. Every feature of him showing his "new"defensive prowess are the same 5 clips over the entire season. This last game against aa tired Duck team he was schooled.
Quinn is a dynamic rover. and by league average is small, Hronek isn't large either.

Last year goals against = 298 GA
This year projects to = 218 GA
Currently top 5 in the league and yet none of the defence are ranked 3/4?
These guys certainly are not, part time 35yr old Cole or injured Soucy (missed 42 games), Juulsen in and out, Freidman?, hmmmm, a mystery, no 3/4 defencemen! Whose left?

Cole was signed for one year to play RD because he had previous experience with Soucy, as a bonus he also has played with Zadorov too. Zadorov has played with Myers before. cole has playoff experience out the ying yang. Ten seasons of NHL playoffs.

I think Hronek and Hughes do play well together in the regular season but size matters

Cole because he could play both sides, Canucks now have 3 RHD, Hronek, Myers, Juulsen and 4 that can play RHD, Cole, Zadorov, Soucy and ..... Freidman? Prospects, Willander, McWard.
Dan Hamhuis took 7.58% as a 27/28 yr old UFA

87.5 x .0758 = 6.63m

Not liking where this is going from the Hronek camp
Hamhuis took a 1 million hair cut to play in Vancouver, offered 6 by Philly he signed for 5 in Van, top ranked UFA defenceman that year.

Is Hronek replaceable?
33 RHD UFA's and RFA's over 6'2" on July 1, most will be re-signed by their current clubs but there will be some teams just can't make fit due to depth and/or the cap.

Contracts for existing players,
Hronek 7X5 with no clause
Zadorov 6X8 if the team can get that term
Myers 3.5 X 4 with first three years MNMC
Cole released
Juulsen under contract already
Soucy already under contract
Pursue a trade for JIRECK/Power/MIller/Schnieder/Korczak/Hague/...

Lots of possibilities including promoting or grooming an AHL player or prospect.

But they will need to create more cap space, Garland reinstated his trade request at the beginning of the year and Boeser. IMO I would move Boeser even at the cost of a A or BB prospect as a sweetener. Joshua could fill in but there would be the opportunity to trade for a younger player buried with a bad team. Crouse Hopefully.

With no Demko news this could be the old adage "no news is good news" because the news could be less than good.

Last edited:

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Well deserved
Congrats to the goat

Attachments

• IMG_5398.jpeg
    IMG_5398.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 2

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Send Hronek to Buffalo for Kulich or Savoie and their 2024 2nd.

Frees up space to go after Dad and Roy in the offseason; especially if Myers is not brought back.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad