Eklund Rumor: Canucks making play for Paul Byron

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Close the thread already. Montreal is going to be tight against the cap for the next two years and a guy like Byron (Killing penalty & being a 20 goal scorer) at 1m/year for another two year is something Montreal can't afford to lose.

The return would need to be of similar cap hit/point produced last year.

tylerjohnson2626

Jun 6, 2016
Victoria, BC
I worry about these acquisitions. Guys with one solid year make me wonder if it was a coming out party? Or strictly situational where the opportunities were there and might be tough to replicate?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Montreal absolutely doesn't need a Center of the caliber of Brandon Sutter.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'm going to guess no given byron teamvalue/$, it would be hard to take him from the habs. Also he is basically french (from same town as julien) so management won't want to move him.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
I'm going to guess no given byron teamvalue/$, it would be hard to take him from the habs. Also he is basically french (from same town as julien) so management won't want to move him.

We've seen stranger things happen, like Subban for Weber. :laugh:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not that Byron would be a bad player to acquire for the Canucks per se...but it's such a random alleged "target". Doesn't really make any sense other than the fact he's a good, useful player. Why do the Canucks specifically need a tiny 28 year old winger coming off a career year?

Not to mention, that cheap contract is surely a lot more valuable to a team like Montreal than it would be to a team in Vancouver's situation.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Not that Byron would be a bad player to acquire for the Canucks per se...but it's such a random alleged "target". Doesn't really make any sense other than the fact he's a good, useful player. Why do the Canucks specifically need a tiny 28 year old winger coming off a career year?

Not to mention, that cheap contract is surely a lot more valuable to a team like Montreal than it would be to a team in Vancouver's situation.

That's what I'm saying he has a cap hit of 1.1 mill even if he regressed 7 goals hell still get 15 at that cap, u need those caphits to contend

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
What would the ideal return be? He's 28, same age as Sutter.

Except he's better, more useful, and much cheaper than Sutter.

Byron is a tenacious player. He's 5'8 but plays like he's 6'4. Amazing penalty killer, and one of the fastest skaters in the league. I would kill to have him back on the Flames. I'd value him to the Habs the same way Anaheim values Cogliano. He would not come cheap, especially after a career year.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
How much of Byron's production comes down to the opportunities he got in Montreal?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Paul Byron shot 23.75% (2nd in league) and had over 9.6% on ice shooting%. MB would be incredibly smart to sell him high and Benning would be incredibly stupid to buy him high

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Paul Byron shot 23.75% (2nd in league) and had over 9.6% on ice shooting%. MB would be incredibly smart to sell him high and Benning would be incredibly stupid to buy him high

How many breakaways did Byron have last year and how many goals did he score on them? If you take out both of those from the percentages he's probably a normal %'s kind of guy and I don't see any reason he can't have a lot of breakaways for the next couple of years.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I remember when Monteral grabbed him off of waivers, someone on here posted a sped-up GIF of a monkey skating around the ice (Presumably from one of those Most Valuable Primate-type movies) and said it was practice footage of Paul Byron (Based on size, not anything else) and it was easily one of the top 10 funniest posts on HF ever.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
So far he's had rumors about Buffalo and Boston, and now Calgary and Montreal. Can't say the guy doesn't know where his bread is buttered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad