Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose to Kraken | 2-5 | Pettersson & Beauvillier

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
In the meantime, my oldest got on the jumbotron twice, to his delight. First time during warmup, second time was during the “Awkward Dad Dance Cam” segment. He got me to get up and do the floss (badly) and lo and behold, I won two tickets to Peter Gabriel. :laugh:
Oh my god that was you!? :laugh:. Nice one. Crowd dug that too.

My kid was trying to drag me up for the dad dance too.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Good effort out of Garland. How can some people not see he is a better player than the plodding Boeser?

Amen… far better.

But he’s probably more movable than Boeser… who I’m pretty sure we’re stuck with until at least the TDL in ‘25.

I guess, at least when Myers is gone, we can give some of that money to Petey.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Zero bite to this team. Soft and slow. Do they have any idea of the type of teams that excel in the playoffs?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! Tocchet let 'er rip on the post-game press conference. Coaching this current version of the Canucks will age him 10-years.

Quite candidly, this lineup isn't capable of playing 'Tocchet hockey'. They've got no size; their overall speed is 'middling' and Tocchet is already coming to same conclusion as Boudreau. This team is just 'mentally fragile'.

That's why Tocchet ripped the team for 'its body language' out on the ice. He cited it as a sign of 'weakness'. Yikes! Talk about a guy telling it like it is!

This roster has so many holes you could drive a truck through it. The only people who actually believed that simply flipping the coaching staff behind he bench was going to change things--were the guys on the House Radio Station. And even they must be having second thoughts

Spare a few prayers for Allvin. He inherited a 'capped out' team with a flock of bad contracts; no size and strength up front or on the blueline. And nothing much in the pipeline. He's just a GM, not a miracle worker.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Wow! Tocchet let 'er rip on the post-game press conference. Coaching this current version of the Canucks will age him 10-years.

Quite candidly, this lineup isn't capable of playing 'Tocchet hockey'. They've got no size; their overall speed is 'middling' and Tocchet is already coming to same conclusion as Boudreau. This team is just 'mentally fragile'.

That's why Tocchet ripped the team for 'its body language' out on the ice. He cited it as a sign of 'weakness'. Yikes! Talk about a guy telling it like it is!

This roster has so many holes you could drive a truck through it. The only people who actually believed that simply flipping the coaching staff behind he bench was going to change things--were the guys on the House Radio Station. And even they must be having second thoughts

Spare a few prayers for Allvin. He inherited a 'capped out' team with a flock of bad contracts; no size and strength up front or on the blueline. And nothing much in the pipeline. He's just a GM, not a miracle worker.
Yeah. Watching Bruce slowly getting worn down by this team’s lack of compete and care and having to come up with euphemisms to describe it was eye opening. That’s why this management group’s decision to go for it is so frustrating. This team has done nothing to deserve that kind of belief. Gracious losers. That still remains the best description.

Reactions: quat

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Pretty clear after this game that the Canucks need to bring in at least 2 more solid top 4 dman this offseason.. Hughes is getting overworked, perhaps there is a salary bonus he's trying to get. If we can drop Myers and Boeser or Garland, that frees up 10-11m in cap space. Lots of reports that Gavrikov may end up here but he'd be a second pairing guy as a LHD on this team and I think Hronek is probably better suited with him than with Hughes. We still need to find a solid partner for Hughes, and I just don't think Bear is it. Sounds like Gavrikov is going to command 5-6m, so that only leaves us with roughly 5m to play with.

Option is there to buyout OEL, however the savings from that will likely need to be used for Pettersson's next deal. It also leaves us with a minimum cap hit from the buyout of 2.1m for the next 8 years.

If the team can find a suitable person for Hughes to play with, the back end may be ok for next season. It's a big ask with the limited cap space. Need to find a solid stay at home responsible dman that isn't needed to put up a lot of points. Looking at this years crop of UFA's, not sure who would be most suitable.

Hughes -
Gavrikov - Hronek
Rathbone - Beare
Wolanin - Juulsen

*EDIT* I was to preface this all by first saying that I think Francesco Aquilini and his family are too f'n cheap to actually buyout OEL. That's 20m they'd be asking to pay for a player to NOT play. Literally going to waste 4 years of Pettersson and Hughes career because of OEL being here.

Reactions: Grantham

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023

“Telling it like it is” is ripping a team when they have zero to play for.

Why would they look like they give a shit vs going through the motions for the last few games of a long horrible season?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What really bugged Tocchet was the same thing that frustrated Boudreau.

Canucks had a day off and were coming to the rink fresh......the Kraken were on a back-to-back. And once they went down 0-2 that should have been 'it'.

But it was the Canucks who totally wilted in the second and third period. I mean in the third period alone, the Kraken and Canucks combined for five shots in total. Pity the poor paying customers.

Tocchet's complaint is that the Canucks didn't use their day off to recharge and prepare for the game. He lamented about the apparent need to 'babysit' professional athletes to ensure they're ready to compete.

Just can't happen.....yet it seemed to happen to Boudreau a lot. But then it's the same players, and the same results.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Oh, my family and friends are dying for a video. My Mom was talking to Guest Services trying to find a way to track down the video. :laugh: They gave her an email to try, so the dream isn’t dead. But best I’ve got for now is a photo of celebrating my “victory” - my oldest son is on my right, my Dad is on my left:

View attachment 682092
That was you? I was at the game last night too and immediately pegged you as the winner lol.

My 14 year old son basically forbade me to even attempt to dance. I was all too willing to comply.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
That was you? I was at the game last night too and immediately pegged you as the winner lol.

My 14 year old son basically forbade me to even attempt to dance. I was all too willing to comply.

Haha, yep - and my nearly 14 year old is the one who egged me on to do it. :laugh:

There MIGHT be a video forthcoming…my Mom, bless her, has been in contact with Canucks’ Fan Services and their Game Entertainment department. When my family wants something, they tend to be persistent. :laugh:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Oh, my family and friends are dying for a video. My Mom was talking to Guest Services trying to find a way to track down the video. :laugh: They gave her an email to try, so the dream isn’t dead. But best I’ve got for now is a photo of celebrating my “victory” - my oldest son is on my right, my Dad is on my left:

View attachment 682092

Did you do the C-Walk?! lol congrats my dude.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
“Telling it like it is” is ripping a team when they have zero to play for.

Why would they look like they give a shit vs going through the motions for the last few games of a long horrible season?

Honestly.

I think it was a blessing that we got a game like this at the end of the year. Just to remind the people who are now drinking the Tocchet koolaid what this team is made of.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Haha, yep - and my nearly 14 year old is the one who egged me on to do it. :laugh:

There MIGHT be a video forthcoming…my Mom, bless her, has been in contact with Canucks’ Fan Services and their Game Entertainment department. When my family wants something, they tend to be persistent. :laugh:

Congrats. Although, my son's first question was "Who the hell is Peter Gabriel?"

I looked at him and said, "Shock the Monkey." That did not go over very well.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I find it funny people were saying you can't believe in this small coach bump. To look at this one game!

Its all small samples.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad