Dreger: Canucks looking to trade for top 6 winger

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I believe they have to follow British Columbia's policies, which for close contacts is 14 days, regardless of testing.

Yea, you’re prob right. . I was hopeful they could get around that w increased testing but that’s prob just wishful thinking

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
If Hoglander can nutmeg NHL players like Virtanen and strip guys like Petey of the puck while also playing a strong cycle game and show good skating ability, I don't see why there should be any rush to go and "upgrade". Already got burned last year and the kids are (if not already, then almost) ready.

nightranger

Jan 3, 2021
We had Tofoli, who wanted to stay, and now we’re going to give up important future assets to get him (another similar guy, likely not as good) back! And that’s why Mr. Benning is the worst GM in the National League. Sorry Leaf’s fans, but we got you beat in Spades on this one. Way to go Jim! Well done. Well done indeed. :help:
Christ man based on your posts you are either a closet Leaf fan or just completely clueless.
TT wanted term he got that in Montreal. Benning made him an offer but made it clear he wasn't going more than 2 years. Look at our team prospects included, TT who before getting gifted time with Petey and Jt and the 3rd ranked PP had been declining and hadn't has hit 30 goals only once or twice in his career.
You ramble on constantly about how bad Benning is for signing vets to long deals (even tho aside from LE the rest really aren't that bad) then this offseason he didn't give any deals that would keep us from adding when we are fully in our window to win and adds a legit top pairing guy, a great tender in Holtby on a perfect deal and Hamonic who is a big upgrade on Stech.
Now it's his fault that JT may miss 2 weeks because of a God-damn pandemic are you kidding me.
Of course he's gonna due his due diligence to upgrade the club if he can. You Benning haters are bi-polar if he had signed those 3 losing out on Nate (which he was in on before Tanev left) would have lost Demko and the cap space that opens up next year 30+ million would be less and we would be the same team that clearly needed some changes especially defensively, you guys would be shitting all over him.
You compare him to Dubas, next season they have barely enough to re-sign the players they have and most likely need to sign a goalie cheaper than Freddie.
Benning has 30+ million to sign the 3 kids and Edler. Plenty of room to upgrade.
The season after LE, Lous cap recapture, Beagle, Rousell, Holtby are gone Leafs have Reilly to re-sign with no real internal help to lessen their cap crunch. Nucks over the next 2 seasons have Podz, Joulevi,Hogs, Lind, Rathbone, Lockwood, mikey D etc to fill spots internally.
You are really gonna compare a team that has had 3 calder finalists in a row and still have the 7th ranked pool and 60 million in cap over the next to offseasons to the situation the Leafs are in? They have no young blue-chip goalies we have 1 maybe 2, they have their D coming up Sandin, Lilly, I'll take Joulevi, Rathbone and Hughes. Robertson and Amirov? Good prospects but gimme Podz, Hogs, Lind,
Sorry guys for the rant but it gets annoying when Nuck fans shit on Benning for things he has no control over and say things that are bullshit and leave out facts.
I'm not trying to bring down Dubas and if I missed some prospects or major cap relief I apologize. And for the record the Big 4 and Reilly are studs. I just think Dubas exited the rebuild before the cuboards were stocked.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I know you’re only joking, but any US based player will need 14 days of quarantine. A trade would only be with a Canadian club. Oh how Tofoli would look in the Canuck’s sweater about now. :(

If we move on for Johnson it will be good for our cap but if we don't move on from him this year actually kind of excited to see how he plays. He is one of those guys who if has a chip on his shoulder is fun to watch. If we have him top 6 this year I think he will have a decent year.

nightranger

Jan 3, 2021
If they live together and Benn was the concern, wouldn't they both be concerns..? I'm a little confused at your complaint here, maybe I'm misunderstanding.
The dude is the one who is clueless. Yup Blame Benning for COVID. ahh never change HF\twitter nuck fans.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
He is. What did Jeff do in Vancouver?

More stupid "f*** the wife" rumours, which are the most invasive and childish rumours in sport.

The dude is the one who is clueless. Yup Blame Benning for COVID. ahh never change HF\twitter nuck fans.

HF fans are the worst, am I right? *checks notes* nightranger who joined *checks notes* a week ago.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Benning looking for a top 6 winger a few days before season starts.

Everything will be fine, Canucks fans, no worries. ;)

nightranger

Jan 3, 2021
I’m hopeful our owner, much like restricting Benning’s purse strings this off season for UFA signings, has nixed Benning trading too. No new contract for Green, and Benning being reined in. Maybe our owner has both those guys on the hot seat? A bad start (which is seemingly very likely) and Aquilini might clean house, like he did firing Gillis and Torts.
Ya nobody was nixed buds.
And ya Bennings trades have been terrible.
JT Miller, Nate for a 3rd, Pearson for Guddy, Motte for Vaneck, Ya pretty friggen terrible. Newsflash it's not 2016 anymore. Benning has improved, who'd a thunk a rookie GM made some bad trades but got better, wowza.

Reactions: zcaptain

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I agree there are tons of pissy fans in Vancouver, Twitter I've found is worse. Lots of Joe Blow's on the street as well that think they know everything because they've read the Province and insist everyone no longer on the team is a bum. Wowza indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: timw33

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Benn was the positive test a few days ago, and why practice was cancelled that day. Miller lives with Benn, and appears to be a positive test this morning. Guys living together are highly likely to infect each other, right? Benning knew several days ago
It's almost as if we found out about this a few days after it all went down.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
We had Tofoli, who wanted to stay, and now we’re going to give up important future assets to get him (another similar guy, likely not as good) back! And that’s why Mr. Benning is the worst GM in the National League. Sorry Leaf’s fans, but we got you beat in Spades on this one. Way to go Jim! Well done. Well done indeed. :help:

I love it when you people rip Benning for things he hasn't done...

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m guessing VAN isn’t looking to offer anything significant in return so what sort of top six winger would be realistic? I’m sure most teams would like to add a top six winger without giving much up and my guess is that they also want a cap neutral trade since cap is at a premium. Meh. Does this sort of rumor get floated out of desperation by the media or does someone overhear some random comment “sure we’d love to add a top six winger if we could make it work” and ignore that the sun moon and stars all have to align for anything to work.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’m guessing VAN isn’t looking to offer anything significant in return so what sort of top six winger would be realistic? I’m sure most teams would like to add a top six winger without giving much up and my guess is that they also want a cap neutral trade since cap is at a premium. Meh. Does this sort of rumor get floated out of desperation by the media or does someone overhear some random comment “sure we’d love to add a top six winger if we could make it work” and ignore that the sun moon and stars all have to align for anything to work.

I think we’d be fine to give up some value. We have quite a few intriguing mid tier prospects and mid tier picks that we could offer for a rental player. I’m not sure who that someone could be, but I’m all for another deadline deal to add a top 6 forward on an expiring contract.

Think about it this way. All of us would give a 2nd to get rid of Eriksson right now. Well sometimes it’s better to trade for a top 6 forward that carries less years, less risk, and perhaps a more favourable contract then you’d get in free agency. And hey, it’ll probably only cost a 2nd!

Reactions: My3Sons

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Ferland didn't go onto LTIR until a week or two a go. When he came to a conclusion that it would be better for his life and his family that he didn't play hockey. Benning might of had an idea that Ferland may not be able to play this season. That his salary could be made available at some point, but he didn't actually know until it was confirmed by Ferland and his family.
Yeah missing out on Toffoli pisses me off royally. Big time considering on the reasonable amount he signed for in Montreal, but there was a lot of question marks for Benning and the upcoming seasons cap too. Ferland injury status, Markys contract, Tan Mans contract, Stech, Motte and Gaudette. There really wasn't a sure answer for a salary cap question for the 2001 Canucks. Well we lost Markstrom, Tanev, and Stecher, but we gained a Holtby, Schmidt, and Hamonic. Benning has made more than his fair share of mistakes, but he has made up for them aswell.
I am also interested in seeing if Hoglander can fill in for Toffoli's absence for a bit before we trade for a top 6 winger. This really is all speculation people, just wait until we see the end result before we bring out the pitchforks.
The Canucks now have Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, Boeser, Schmidt, Demko, and also some potential gems in Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rathbone, and Juolevi.
Let's cut Benning some slack here, because let's face it, When Gillis was done, he left f*** all for Benning to play with. Our prospect pool was Jensen and Gaunce, and our roster after the 2011 Stanley Cup loss was bleak.

Reactions: HockeyNightInAsia

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
(Rumour was he diddled with a teammates wife, who I think - if memory serves - was Kirk McLean’s?. Likely that’s all a load of poppycock though.)

I usually don't delve into personal lives of players, but for some reason I love these tidbits about the Canucks. Yes, it was pretty well known even back in the 90s. Even McLean subtlety acknowledged it, lol.

@ 5:26

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Hope they don't trade valuable picks or prospects. I'd much rather have guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin develop into valuable players than trade for a veteran now.

Reactions: Bubbles

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think we’d be fine to give up some value. We have quite a few intriguing mid tier prospects and mid tier picks that we could offer for a rental player. I’m not sure who that someone could be, but I’m all for another deadline deal to add a top 6 forward on an expiring contract.

Think about it this way. All of us would give a 2nd to get rid of Eriksson right now. Well sometimes it’s better to trade for a top 6 forward that carries less years, less risk, and perhaps a more favourable contract then you’d get in free agency. And hey, it’ll probably only cost a 2nd!

Im not sure if mid tier picks and prospects return a legit top six rental. I’d expect that teams will be reluctant to move a first or tip top prospect but I’d think that some teams will still want to go for it this season if their window is iffy and real top six rentals as opposed to middle six rentals will require at least a second and a good prospect not just a third and a mid tier prospect. And mire than likely no salary will go back to the team trading the rental. I guess VAN sees where it is after 25-30 games and can make the call at that point. NJ likely has two choices in Palmieri and Gusev. Keep an eye on Gusev this season. He’s probably the best offensive player on NJ. He played to a 60+ point pace on a putrid team after the coach was fired last season. I expect he will be one of the better top six options at the TDL. Good luck to the Canucks this season.

Reactions: Luck 6

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Benn was the positive test a few days ago, and why practice was cancelled that day. Miller lives with Benn, and appears to be a positive test this morning. Guys living together are highly likely to infect each other, right? Benning knew several days ago that Miller was highly likely to test positive now, and miss the first 8 games. A wise GM would have been trying to make a deal before now, because now he’s stuck. All the other GMs know he’s stuck. Plus, any US based deal would require a 14 day quarantine. Benning is a disaster, when it comes to planning ahead. I really hate loving this team. :help:

Are you under the impression you know when GMs are working the phones or not ? Geezus bud we’re just fans. We’re not previ to everything. be better Next time Larry please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad