Confirmed with Link: Canucks invite D Danny Dekeyser to camp on a PTO

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i hope boudreau's MO isn't the travis green methodology of giving veterans with no chance of making the team lots of pre-season icetime so he has no idea what his young guys can or can't do
Also a tactic to ensure you meet nhl regulations of icing a certain number of nhl veterans. Ore season can be bunched together like 3 in 4. So need enough bodies. Quinn, OEL, already know who and what they are. Will give them their 3 games to get their legs under them.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
i hope boudreau's MO isn't the travis green methodology of giving veterans with no chance of making the team lots of pre-season icetime so he has no idea what his young guys can or can't do

I remember Green and Benning were enamored with Jack Skille when he said
“I’m willing to chew through rope to be here”

that was all they needed to hear to give him a contract off a PTO

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kind of a head-scratcher....Dekeyser's numbers were 'off-the-charts' bad at times last year, and at 32 he's a bit of a shadow of the player he used to be. And a left-hand shot to boot, where the Canucks really have no openings.

But on a positive side, he was the regular d-partner for Moritz Seider last season....and a times they were the Wings best pairing. I thought Calvin de Haan might have been a better bet on a PTO, but at least Dekeyser is a 'warm body' for the exhibition grind.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kind of a head-scratcher....Dekeyser's numbers were 'off-the-charts' bad at times last year, and at 32 he's a bit of a shadow of the player he used to be. And a left-hand shot to boot, where the Canucks really have no openings.

But on a positive side, he was the regular d-partner for Moritz Seider last season....and a times they were the Wings best pairing. I thought Calvin de Haan might have been a better bet on a PTO, but at least Dekeyser is a 'warm body' for the exhibition grind.
Probably what he is. You play Quinn and OEL enough to get them ready for the season. Rathbone gets a long look like last pre season. Assuming Dermott plays the right side anyone else getting a super long look on the left?

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Nic Petan was the biggest head scratcher in recent memory. It's like Green was living out a Winterhawk fantasy during last preseason

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I really liked this player early on. He came in and settled into a top 4 role, and was fairly productive. However he signed a rather huge contract extension and was mistakenly seen as a top pairing guy that could contribute offensively when he was actually a defensive dman with decent skating and positioning (similar to Hamhuis post 2013). He became a scapegoat due to the contract and not being the defenseman he was perceived to be by the DRW fanbase.

However yeah, he's clearly done now at age 32. That back injury in 2019 has hindered his skating and he never regained form.

I will be deeply concerned if he's on our roster on opening night because that will mean we have seen injuries hit the back end or one of Dermott or Rathbone really sucked in camp.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I really hope they give Noah Juulsen a long look at training camp. He's a legit right shot d-man who' still only 25. His early career development was marred by injury. But he was solid last season in Abbotsford and didn't look out of place when he had a couple of cups of coffee with the Canucks.

I can't believe that Juulsen is any worse than the waiver wire guys or the remaining players who might be brought in on PTO's.

Reactions: mossey3535

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Back injury derailed this guy's career:

From his first game, he solidified the defense and provided a shot of optimism for a playoff-bound team. A broken thumb derailed his and the team’s playoff run that season. The following season was disrupted due to a separated left shoulder. He went on to have two excellent seasons in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. Although never a big scorer, he was solid, confident, and made sound decisions with the puck and in coverage. Fewer players were as selfless or as strong when it came to taking a hit to make a play.

Although he played every game in the 2016-2017 season, there was an element about DeKeyser that did not look right. The team around him was in decline, but there was something more. The smooth-skating, the confidence to jump into the offensive zone, and the effortless turn into pursuit were less consistent and less dynamic than in the previous two seasons. The one-time excellent skater had lost a step. Although everyone in the NHL plays through pain, through his toughness Danny DeKeyser’s pain was taking a toll.

Injuries are cruel in sports. Although he should be at the peak of a career filled with promise, DeKeyser appeared to be in decline. Damaged and deteriorating spinal discs began to press on nerves, which were not only painful but drained dynamic strength and responsiveness from his lower body. The powerful and smooth skating stride that marked his game was also deteriorating. There are few worse chronic injuries for hockey players.

After holding off as long as possible, he had major surgery in December of 2019. Part of the disc that was pressing on his spinal nerves was trimmed. This surgery was similar to the surgery that Henrik Zetterberg had for a spinal condition that ended the captain’s career. And like Zetterberg, DeKeyser’s injury was apparent for years before resorting to surgery.

“They said sometimes when you injure a disc you feel it right away or sometimes it just kind of builds up over time,” DeKeyser said. “Maybe there was an injury a year or two ago and it just kind of slowly built up.”

That sounds pretty damn painful.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's always sad to see how many players struggle after surgery on discs in the spinal cord. Unfortunately, like Dekeyser apparently, they never return to their previous form. It's a sobering thought for Vegas, which has half their franchise future tied up in the fragile body of Jack Eichel.

I'm not sure what Deykeser has left in the tank to contribute to the Canucks---by maybe if he as a strong training camp, he attracts the attention of another GM and gets a shot elsewhere.

But if the Canucks were to sign him, and he were to end up in Abbotsford on a two-way contract, he'd be a great mentor to some of the young d-men they have down there.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Remember when he was a very coveted free agent and Detroit were very happy when they won the sweepstakes for him.

Good start to his career but recently an absolute liability.

Wonder, like others, if he might stick around in Abby and provide some defensive depth

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Back injuries just change how you move, even if you aren't consciously thinking, "Ow, this hurts." You take easier routes to stuff, step rather than jump down, run more gingerly, etc. You don't even notice the adjustments you make until everything you do incorporates them. I think this happens to athletes as well. They think they're giving everything but they have developed ways of avoiding pain they don't even notice, and the get slower and less physical. DeKeyser looks like he's moving at 75% of the speed he should. I don't think he'll be in the league this year.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I loved Dekeyser in his first couple years in the league but he hasn’t been effective in a long time now and his formerly + skating is long gone with all the back problems.

Yeah. I don’t mind the idea of giving him a tryout to see what’s left in the tank - sucks how injuries really kind of derailed him.

But like orcatown, wonder if he could be useful depth to have playing in Abbotsford.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If he can put up Norris like stats and play this year I think we may have something here...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

From what i recall, Skille actually played his way into a contract that year. He was a pretty useful depth forward with a lot of energy.

With DeKeyser, i really think he's just a body to pad out veteran numbers through split squad preseason games. He's just so physically broken, i don't see him earning an actual contract here. But it's as good a place as any for him to get some significant preseason icetime in and try to showcase himself. It's a shallow defence where i'd imagine key guys like OEL/Hughes/Myers won't be playing huge minutes in the preseason because we all aready know what they are and need to keep them fresh for the real season.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He was really really really bad last season. Which continues a trend. He's also one of those guys who I know isn't actually that old but feels way older than he is.*

*he's 32
I remember Mike Gillis bidding for this guy.

Time flies. We finally got our guy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I remember Mike Gillis bidding for this guy.

Time flies. We finally got our guy.

Yep. He would have been a good signing but that was 10 years ago. Injuries have cut short his career. He's done.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Will be interesting to see how this player performs..Would be terrific if he regained a step and made the team..Be quite the story..Especially since his hockey career obit is currently making the rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad